100 series diesel???

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
So, as an exercise in "I wonder if...", here we go.
I have a 2001 Hundy. 4.7 gasser, 4 speed auto. If money was no object, could a guy acquire a 100 series diesel motor from, oh, some nonEPA laden country, and swap it into mine? And maybe a 5spd tranny at the same time? Besides all the mechanical stuff, and fuel system swap, and money(whatever that is), what else would need to be done? Ecm and tcm I'm thinking, not sure if there's a bcm for this year model.
Are there companies that a guy could source one of those oil burner motors from here in the states? If so, what would they cost? Would there be huge import duty fees? Epa regs to slog through? And since we're dreaming, why not add a 5 speed MANUAL transmission instead?? Real men drive with both feet, right? And then maybe some custom tuning for the motor, cause awesome.
What do y'all think?
Remember this is just in the spirit of discussion, not bashing or hating anything. If you don't like this idea, that's fine, just move on!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, if I win the lotto, a diesel WILL find its way into my 100. There are diesel 5 speed 100s and 105s in Australia, Africa, South America etc. Basically EVERYWHERE but North America, and buying a "half-cut" and importing that would be the way to proceed. The 105 diesel (HZJ105) only came naturally aspirated and made a whopping 129 hp. The 100 diesel (HDJ100) could be had with a 201 hp turbo diesel (only 165 hp in Africa or South America), although I'm not sure if you could get the 5 speed manual in the 100. Maybe Rumpig (he used to have a HZJ105) or one of our other Aussie members can shed some light on this?

As far as legality, your probably going to have to check with Az DOT. The 201 hp version didn't hit Australia until 2000, and if I understand the law correctly, if you're swapping in an engine out of a NEWER model year, that's ok? I would imagine there would still be a fair amount of red tape to deal with if you have emissions or annual inspections. We don't where I live, so if I hit it big last night, you'll soon see a thread on this swap!

Gotta go check my tickets now...

Last edited:

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Well, there's no smog testing here, so that wouldn't be an issue, I think.

And what exactly do you mean, half cut? Short block?

p nut

butter
I still don't get everyone's infatuation with diesel. The 2UZ is plenty reliable, adequately powered, smooth running engine that will last a looooong time. Can't see a single advantage with the trouble of converting to diesel.

johanso

Adventurer
I still don't get everyone's infatuation with diesel. The 2UZ is plenty reliable, adequately powered, smooth running engine that will last a looooong time. Can't see a single advantage with the trouble of converting to diesel.
100 serie diesel with manual transmission can get close to 28 mpg if driven carefully. I imagine that's about twice as good as the petrol version. So if travel range is of importance diesel makes a lot of sense. But going through the process of converting a gas vehicle to diesel might be hard to justify just for that reason..

SSF556

SE Expedition Society

Diesel is not needed in North America....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What exactly do you mean, half cut? Short block?

A half-cut is a vehicle that has been rear-ended, or otherwise damaged (or in the case of Japan, out lived its cost effectiveness), and exporters cut them in half either behind in front of the front seats. You can buy them this way, and you get all the firewall and under hood goodies too. It's a far more complete way of buying an engine for a swap. The harness, computers, intake etc etc are all there. Google "half cut " and you'll get a lot of pics.

SixLug

Explorer
^I was too late! haha

Correct, only for a full car on the 25 year rule.

A "half cut" or "front clip" is where a company over seas basically "cuts" the whole front of the car off, fenders and all (usually including the transmission) and exports it for the purpose of someone like you taking all the good bits like the motor and tranny and ECU and all that stuff and swapping it into your car. It's popular amongst car enthusiasts, for instance importing a front clip from a 2000 Subaru Impreza STi from Japan and then swapping it into a same generation Subaru here, where an STi wasn't offered in 2000.

Rumpig

Adventurer
A half-cut is a vehicle that has been rear-ended, or otherwise damaged (or in the case of Japan, out lived its cost effectiveness), and exporters cut them in half either behind in front of the front seats. You can buy them this way, and you get all the firewall and under hood goodies too. It's a far more complete way of buying an engine for a swap. The harness, computers, intake etc etc are all there. Google "half cut " and you'll get a lot of pics.
this is probably the easiest way to go if looking at doing the swap, as you need the harnesses and computer stuff for the engine to run....can't just chuck the engine in and it fires up, it needs to recognise the key it used to run on for a start plus likely heaps of other things i don't know about being I'm no mechanic. Swapping a 1HDFTE into a petrol version 100 series is common enough over here in Australia, there are numerous threads about it on LCOOL forum, which is a dedicated Landcruiser forum here in Oz. Manual and auto tranny's both available for the job, though if you own a diesel 1HZ 105 series and wanted to upgrade to a 1HDFTE engine, they tend to swap the manual box out for the 100 series box due to it being a stronger unit (swap the R151 gearbox to the H151). I can't recall off the top of my head what the petrol vehicles had in them gearbox wise, but you'd need to look at that also. Seems to be quite a few converted 105 series coming on the market here in Oz now, many who did the swap are upgrading to the twin turbo'd diesel 200 series Landcruisers instead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998