100 Series Family Adventure Rig

Jwestpro

Explorer
I also ran 2 awg to the Safetyhub in the back for all of the constant power house wiring. It and the ground bus are held in place with heavy duty velcro for ease of access. So far the only thing wired into it is a power outlet for a fridge. I will be hooking up some better trunk lighting, air compressor, power inverter, and some more constant power outlets.

These items make camping and travel so nice. I did all of these too and make the most use of running the fridge and other hot 12v with no worries. I do use the inverter sometimes but mostly on long trips where I need to use the laptop for which I have no socket type charger. I assume there may be socket type chargers now but there weren't for the macbook pro several years ago right after the power adapter changed.

About the air compressor. I had mine installed underneath, which was nicely out of way and supplied a large storage tank, but the elements slowly killed it. I suggest under the hood if you have a spot for it but the new high output twin from ARB is really nice and you can get the parts they use for the kit such as the 1Gallon tank and make your own under the hood kit version. Having it easily accessible for service would be nice but also out of the water, mud, road spray.

About the interior lighting, it sure would be nice if there had been factory lamps pointing down from the opened upper rear hatch, one on each end/corner with a switch. Maybe you could put one in that is recessed and/or has a little protection grill.

Bretthn

Explorer
Keep your wits about you out there. I can hear the banjos in the distance..... ;)
The things you come across when exploring do sometimes make you wonder about the safety of your family... Deliverance, Wrong Turn, The Hills have eyes are all movies that if seen by my wife would be the end of our adventures. :)
So what my wife and I saw as creepy in the area pictured above, my daughter yelled out Mator while passing through. I did not figure out what she was talking about until going through the pictures later. Can you see it?

Bretthn

Explorer
Trip report Mortimer, Wilson Creek, and NC105

We did not camp this time but will probably be camping in the area next month. There is so much to explore out that way, we will be back many more times. I cant wait to make a snow run out that way this winter. Will definitely need some company and a second vehicle for that though...

We ran 40 to 421 from Greensboro then got off on 16 to 18 in Wilkesboro. We then took 90 to Adeko RD and Adeko will take you to Brown Mountain Beach Rd where the pavement ended for the next 40 miles or so.
Link to a map of routes we explored. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=35.956888,-81.790123&spn=0.039602,0.076818
We always try to stop at the small local shops to spend a little money when we travel. They usually can offer up some details on things you won't find on the internet or in a map. These small shop owners are also the ones who will fight to keep trails open or from being paved in these areas when the time comes, if "we overlanders" are good patrons and help provide them with income.
We stopped by a small shop in Collettsville to get some worms and a few cold drinks. They had a great selection of often forgotten camping and fishing gear. Though they did not sell fishing licenses or trout stamps in our case, they were more than happy to point us to another store that did.

My daughter throwing some rocks at a one lane bridge on Craig Creek Forest Service RD.
We almost missed this view pulling out of Craig Creek onto 181.

The entrance to Brown Mountain Beach RD off of Adeko.

After stopping at the Wilson Creek welcome center and another small shop right next door to it, we found the old abandoned foundations that were once the logging community of Mortimer back in the early 1900s before a tragic forest fire and severe flood forced the residents to abandon their homes and mills.

There are three old buildings in this one area on a short road off to the right when heading North. Marked by the building shown in the last picture above.
There is also a short walking path from the end of this road that will take you to a nice swimming hole with a small single fall that and a couple sandy areas along the banks for lounging. When we got there it was overrun by partying college students so we moved on.
We saw this thing at a small camping area along the way.

Another one lane bridge, this ended up being where we stopped to fish and swim for a few hours. There were only a few other families/fishermen in the area but we all still had a couple hundred yards or more between us.

This old shop is actually the local post office.

We parked down a side trail and got to use our little tent before heading down to the water. We bought this for a camping trip last year and this is the first time we actually used it and the pett toilet ever. It was pretty convenient and looked right at home in the woods.

Bretthn

Explorer
Here is where we set up our cooler and camp chairs and had a couple peaceful hours splashing in the water, fishing, and soaking up some sun. Did I mention the perfect weather of about 73 degrees! It was in the mid 80s at home.

And introducing Moby ********. My daughter's first fish on her first fishing trip and the only fish of the day.

I was not paying attention when my daughter asked if she could free him and I said yes. She almost baseball pitched it back into the water or off a rock. Luckily my wife caught her and we were able to teach her how to properly release the fish.
Before the sun started to set we packed up and decided to grab some barbecue at Spear's BBQ and Grill.

We took our food to go and headed south on Old NC HWY105 in search of the perfect place to eat dinner and watch the sunset. Unfortunately we did not find a good spot for to watch the sunset but did get some good views in a different light than we have seen on previous trips.

I love this spot. The Grand Canyon of the East.

This little guy was one of many that we saw this trip. We have seen deer on other trips. I hope to eventually see a bear.. at a safe distance. I hear there are a lot in the area and many accidents involving bear and automobiles.

Another fantastic trip and good memories for the family.

skrillah

Adventurer
Great little write up on the trip and your 100 series! Great to see some overlanding being done here on the east coast for once! I was just out in Moab in April and it was a great trip but its nice to see there are much closer destinations to get out and explore at. So thanks for the inspiration and keep them coming!

brevity_thing

you know, the Dude abides
Nice LX! My folks just moved to NC, I am enjoying the idea of visiting some of the places you mentioned in my Hundy :) Dad is getting into fishing again since moving there, looks like you guys are enjoying it too.

Bretthn

Explorer
Great little write up on the trip and your 100 series! Great to see some overlanding being done here on the east coast for once! I was just out in Moab in April and it was a great trip but its nice to see there are much closer destinations to get out and explore at. So thanks for the inspiration and keep them coming!
There are a lot of small trip reports being posted lately in the southeast section of the forums. You should check it out. I have posted some more there as well.

Nice LX! My folks just moved to NC, I am enjoying the idea of visiting some of the places you mentioned in my Hundy :) Dad is getting into fishing again since moving there, looks like you guys are enjoying it too.
There really is a lot to see and do in NC, it just takes some skillful Googleing. Most of the places I have been, I have found from others posting trip reports on this site or others so I figure I can pass along the favor by writing about it for others.

73guppie96

great write up, this is what it is all about, as a family man myself it is so great to go experience the great outdoors in these vehicles, your little ones will remember this for years to come, my daughter asks me every morning when we are going on the next "adventure"......

Bretthn

Explorer
Camping trip and Mt Mitchell

great write up, this is what it is all about, as a family man myself it is so great to go experience the great outdoors in these vehicles, your little ones will remember this for years to come, my daughter asks me every morning when we are going on the next "adventure"......
It's funny, my wife thinks it is weird that my daughter refers to all of our trips as adventures. I feel a little pride everytime I hear her say it.

Bretthn

Explorer
Camping and Mt Mitchell trip

Last weekend we camped at Carolina Hemlocks in Burnsville, NC. Heres a few pics from the trip. The rest of the details are here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior