100-series rear bumper options

zimm

Expedition Leader
The ARB is decent. It came on my vehicle with a dual spare tire setep so I made it work for me. The nice thing is that you can do just one tire and add things as you need. I am NOT a fan of the one Jerry can holder. Seems a bit steep for 1 can holder. Im sure something could be custom fabbed or modified to add to it. There are Clevis attachment points on the underside of the bumper.

yea, its like that with all bumper systems. but its the USA and there are stations everywhere. i didnt have an issue 2 weeks out west using an f350 with a 460 slurping fuel. so, on the 100, i'll just use 1 jerry with a 40 buck smittybuilt bracket bolted behind the RTT. i'll dump it in the tank when im done so it doesnt get old. 500 bucks to carry cans should give someone to actually think about why they are buying it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
FWIW, the easy of opening is the same (if you are referring to how easy it swings open.) On ours you do not need a gas strut to help it open. The bearings make it easy to move. What people are referring to with two hands is the location of the safety pins we have. The latches we use are the same. So one or two handed depends on how high the tension is set on the latch. With ours, you have to undo the latch, then pull the pin on the hub side and swing the carrier open.

We have reasons why it is on the hub side and not the latch side. All to do with safety and if the latch had to fail / pop open. If people want to eliminate that safety feature, then that is easily done.

I would argue that the configuration is different, but not superior. We do use superior pins in that they are bigger and machined out of stainless steel vs. the commercial off the shelf units that have a plated pin, but bare steel sleeve. Those are prone to corrosion and will eventually get stuck due to that. We used to use the same ones and stopped doing that due to the corrosion issues.

ARB is the only "slam shut" option out there. That is convenient for a lot of people, however the bumper and associated lights / latch mechanism is really complex and a bear to install.

the BIO bumper uses bearing sets that cross with m416 axle hubs, i believe. its as smooth as silk. that having been said, ive owned brass bushing and roller bearing styles, and i kinda like the slight stiffness of the brass bearing, and the idiot proof maintenance. also, the spring pin on the bio permits it to slam shut, and ive driven quite few miles off road having neglected to latch it. i guess the fact you can do that is good and bad, as while its never swung open without the latch set, it looks as if it could.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
yea, its like that with all bumper systems. but its the USA and there are stations everywhere. i didnt have an issue 2 weeks out west using an f350 with a 460 slurping fuel. so, on the 100, i'll just use 1 jerry with a 40 buck smittybuilt bracket bolted behind the RTT. i'll dump it in the tank when im done so it doesnt get old. 500 bucks to carry cans should give someone to actually think about why they are buying it.

thankfully my cruiser came with an aux fuel tank installed. I do have the option of the rotopax fuel can for the generator. as far as the ARB swing out I think they could certainly make something more useful than 1 Gerry can holder.

texascrane

Adventurer
Thanks for everybody's input. I ended up ordering a Slee rear bumper today. Nothing on the market is quite exactly what I want, but I think the Slee will be a good choice. I'm sure that I'll learn a bit more about what I like and don't like as I use it, and if I ultimately decide that it isn't going to work for me, I suspect that it'll be pretty easy to sell.

bossman429

Adventurer
The gas struts on the BIO aren't really needed to help open the swing arms. But they help keep it open if your parked on an angle. Very nice feature

FWIW I love my BIO rear bumper

Benc

Explorer
The gas struts on the BIO aren't really needed to help open the swing arms. But they help keep it open if your parked on an angle. Very nice feature

FWIW I love my BIO rear bumper

What he said. The struts are there to take the place of the pop pins. The pop pins are a unnecessary inconvenience. I have no experience with BIO but I do know the 4x4 labs is a easy one handed operation with no pop pins and one latch. Some will say that it is not safe to have one latch and no pop pins but that is not the case. I have been running this set up for a very long time on several different vehicles with no problems. Mine literally takes 2 seconds to open and close! Another nice feature to the 4x4 labs, is the built in stop in the hinge. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414121631.952905.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414121661.885918.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414121739.535822.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414121773.566962.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Back from the dead!!! I did this mod to the ARB Jerry can carrier.... holds about 12 gallons... and 2 propane tanks.... and (most importantly) provides beer holding surfaces!!!
2015-09-10 22.25.32.jpg
2015-08-01 17.44.43.jpg
2015-08-01 17.43.52.jpg
2015-08-01 17.45.20.jpg

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 2015-09-10 22.25.32.jpg
    2015-09-10 22.25.32.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 2015-08-01 17.45.49.jpg
    2015-08-01 17.45.49.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 60

Chris Boyd

Explorer
YDR -

I'm thinking about going this route now that I have upgraded the RTT to a hard shell. No room for water up top anymore. Did AT do the frame for the tank, or just the tank? I'd need a frame that mounts to the slee ladder swingout.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
What purpose do you need an aftermarket rear bumper to serve? Stay in the 33" tire world, OEM spare location and forget the swing arm inconvenience issue; or the rear aftermarket bumper altogether.

And if you opt for more "serious wheeling" know 33" on a 100 can still get it done...

Resurrecting this thread. I've got a 295/70r16 Cooper AT and I can't get it in the spare location. It's definitely a 33. I even flipped that stopper bar upside down. Am I missing something? My hitch tilts down at at about a 5 degree angle so that could be hit but it's tight against the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears