Official OZTENT review

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Any more updates?

Any Field time while raining or with high winds?

Any shots with people, dogs, or vehicles so we can get a feel for the size?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Clark,

Your thread is the one that made me want to see the size comparison shots. With your RV2 pictures and your family you can really see the size of the tent and its usable space. If I could see such shots for the RV4 it could help make up my mind on going with an RV3 or RV2.

The RV3 is 10lbs lighter than the RV4 and only 4lbs more than the RV2. Folded the RV3 is only 2” longer than the RV2.

Decisions. Decisions.

TheGillz

Explorer
Frankly, if you are taller than me, I wouldn't get the RV2. I am 5' 9.5" From what I can gather it will be perfect for me my wife and our dog. The kids will be in the vehicle for the time being, Untill we can afford a RTT.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I am the same height as you. I think I will go with the RV3. That way I can sleep sideways if I want more room above my head and below my feet. Or sleep with my head towards the window when I need to sleep more people.

88vanaroo

I done a bit of camping with my OZTent and love it. It goes up and down very fast, is made exceptionally well. I have been in some serious rain and wind situations and it performed like a champ. Works great with the family, some picts of a campout and how I carry it on my roof.
P4186736.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
update

Ok so the wife and I have used the tent some as well as Outsidr and his wife used theirs. We are both very happy with the tents. Gen and I went this past weekend to the withlacochee state forest for some camping and paddling. unfortunetly I only got 3 pics and my 10d crashed on my for the rest of our trip :(

We trew it in the back of my ranger this time. It had to load diagonally but it fit no problem. I think the things that we like the most about the tent are the fully screened in front room. Having those accessories really makes the tent what it is. dawn and dusk were spent comfortably in the screened room eating breakfast, dinner, playing cards or planning the days activities.

The second thing we love is all the ventilation. It is so hot in Florida that you really need to have good ventilation to utilize a tent in the day time here. so combine all that with a quick and easy set up and it's a winner. Plus on my roof rack it allows me to carry my canoe as well no problem and I do not hink the set up time is much longer then a RTT. here are a few more pics.

34bdaycamp001.jpg
[/IMG]

34bdaycamp003.jpg
[/IMG]

34bdaycamp002.jpg
[/IMG]

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
So just an update on my tent. After several uses I can say that this is the best tent I have ever owned. I just can not express how nice it is to have a shelter that goes up quick but also has a nice enclosed porch option for extended stays.

This past week my Best friend and I went on a mens retreat and camped. There were about 30 other tents set up for the 4 days and everyone was having Oztent envy. Especially after the first nights all night rain. We got up off our roll a cots nice and refreshed after a good nights sleep only to find several of the other tenters were regrouping after leaky tents swamped several sleeping bags, clothes bags etc. We were dry and cozy all night even with out the optional fly. No condensation or anthing. We also had high winds with gusts up to 25mph. The tent was solid despite the fact that the wind changed direction and it was blowing against the screen room or side rather then at the sloped rear of the tent. The rain continued all day as a light drizzle and then that evening it was a torrential down pour all night. And despite the rain and 47 degree temps we again had no issues. We got up and made breakfast each morning in the large enclosed porch while others were making due on power bars since their outside kitchens were exposed to the severe weather. We did not suffer from any "cabin fever" due to the amount of space we had for all of our gear.

The roll a cots fit perfect and it was my first time using them in an Oztent. Being able to place my gear bags under the cot really made for alot more room in the tent. I Really feel that my camping set up is just about done. Just a few more tweeks and I will be able to say I am set. I will be heading up to North Floridas St. Andrews State Park in a few weeks. I will get some camp pics then and post them up since I did not bring a camera to get new pics this trip.

I think we could have sold 5 or 6 tents if we would have had them on site LOL!

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Although I want one badly, its hard to pull the trigger on a $1400+ setup for the RV5 and accessories (me+wife+2 adult sized kids+dogs). I know they are built well, I know they are easy to setup, but in todays economy there are pop up trailers going for similar prices... with heaters, some with AC, stoves, fridges, and more sleeping area. Granted then you need to find a place to store the trailer (living in an apartment), help me justify nearly $1500 shipped for canvas & screen!

DaveM

Explorer
I'm dying to use my new RV3 Oztent! The OJ article came at just the right time, baby on the way means the Maggiolina RTT was out as a camping option. These are expensive but I managed to snag mine on the last day of Oztent's USAs 25% off deal. Great bargain on a sweet tent.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well I just got back from another quick 5 day stay in the oztent RV-4 This is my second time using the new roll a cots and all I can say is that they are a matched set. I was on my own this trip so I only set up one cot. I had plenty of room inside for a camp chair clothes bag and the center top rail is perfect for hanging clothes on. Since I was on a "buisiness trip" I had to bring some nice button downs and needed to hang them up LOL! Hoestly this model has so much room in the tent I could have not set up the screen room and never felt cramped. Probably could have set a kitchen in the tent as well with no problem.

I camped at St Andrews State park in Panama City beach. Great water front site. The one I chose had about a 40' buffer of vegitation where the tide line came up so although I could look out on the water while kicking back in the screen room. My camp was well hidden.

I was so glad I stayed in the Oztent instead of the Marriot across the sound. Despite the fact that is was freezing cold (36 degrees LOL!) and I only brought a 50 degree bag, I just closed all the windows and vents tossed on some long johns and slept like a baby. I think the paco pads on the new roll a cots equals the best nights sleep I have ever had while "roughing it". We had winds during the day 12-15mph and night time winds with gusts up to 30mph! on the secnd night I did toss 2 more stakes on the 2 front poles of the screen room since the winds were coming at that squared side head on. But I had no issues even in the high wind. You can see in some of the pics the screem room looks like it is bulging from the winds coming into it since the front panel was open. I never had any issues with it pulling up. I even had one night of rain with the high wind. Happy to report no leaks. You do however have make sure to put a slope one the screen room or it will sag and hold water (no leaks). I love my oztent!!!

PB100009.jpg

PB100014.jpg

PB100015.jpg

PB100021.jpg

Deer in camp
PB100029.jpg

View from cot
PB100011.jpg

A few beach shots from the other side of the park
PB100025.jpg

PB100023.jpg

PB100026.jpg

Oh the one other thing I learned this time, is you can put the entire screen room in the main bag with the tent. The trick is to place the screen rooms side and front panels on top of the tent before you fold it up. It just makes it in the bag which is nice. I now have everything in one bag instead of 3 bags which is alot easier to organise.

chuck45

Observer
I like the size of my Marmot Halo 8 (10ft x 10ft with a lot of headroom); but I hate the set up and take down. Especially so if we get in late or are breaking camp everyday. I would love to sell the Halo 8 and buy one of these. Maybe I'll wait until the next time they have a sale.

I've thought of a trailer with a RTT but there have been places I was really glad I didn't have a trailer so...........

I was think about how to carry one. I've got a 4 dr Wrangler and was thinking of rigging up several slings to suspend it from the center of the roll bar running fore and aft; snugged up of course. There's only the two of us (we've achieved "empty nester" stutus) so it would be filling dead space. I'd rather not do a room rack.

sundaypunch

Observer
I'm going to bump this old thread since I'm thinking of getting an Oztent.

It looks like the basic Oztent can be set up in about a minute. How much extra time are you looking at to add the optional side & front panels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94