Official OZTENT review

ShearPin

Adventurer
Hey - another bump for this thread..... I just spent a weekend with the wife and kid in the Ezi-Awn 1400. My daughters grown a lot since my last trip and the roof tent is only getting smaller with another one on the way.

I've thought of a larger roof tent but with the bug enclosure and standing room the oz-tent is defintly of interest... Is everyone using cots to sleep on?

Henry

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I'm going to bump this old thread since I'm thinking of getting an Oztent.

It looks like the basic Oztent can be set up in about a minute. How much extra time are you looking at to add the optional side & front panels?

well after having done it several times now and developed a system I would say an additinal 10 mutes if you are working alone. probably 5 if 2 people are working together.

The big time saver is packing the deluxe peaked side panels and front panel in the main bag and eliminting the all the extra storage bags.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Hey - another bump for this thread..... I just spent a weekend with the wife and kid in the Ezi-Awn 1400. My daughters grown a lot since my last trip and the roof tent is only getting smaller with another one on the way.

I've thought of a larger roof tent but with the bug enclosure and standing room the oz-tent is defintly of interest... Is everyone using cots to sleep on?

Henry

Sleeping 4 in the rv 4 is no problem when sleeping on the ground however an rv5 would be better if you are planning on storing stuff in the tent. If you are using cots you will will only fit 3 and that's iff you give up a center walk way.

double moo

Adventurer
Picked up an RV-5 a couple of months ago - but have only got out in it twice. The second time my son tweaked it when opening and broke all 3 hindes on the one side. We were able to get the parts lined up and with a little tension from the tie downs, it stayed up all night just fine. I thought it would be falling down with any pressure - when we took it down we beat all the excess rain water off it rather roughly expecting a bit of a failure - none. I was very impressed that it stood so strong - even with a night of rain - with the main supports broken and just lined up in place (I was going to duct tape them in line but had left the tape at home... bad camper).

When I got home I contacted Aaron at Bright Path and he immediately mailed me replacement hinges - took all of 15 minutes to change them out - probably less than 5 if I ever had to do it again!

moab130Large.jpg

ShearPin

Adventurer
Oz-Tent owners - have any of you found a simple solution to locking your Oz-tent on a roof rack. I'am looking at an RV-4 or 5 for the family and after having a few things liberated over the years I've got locks all over my rig. Not only would it be an expensive loss - it would sure ruin a trip to have one go missing. Maybe some plumbers pipe with a locking cap adapted?

Also, is the carrying bag waterproof - or is there any need to keep it dry during multi-day excursions with it strapped to a rack?

Thanks for all the updates and photos...

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
well they make a fiberglass transport box called an ozpod but i do not know if it is sold in the U.S. not sure in any of the roof top boxes are long enough but make some of the long ones are.

double moo

Adventurer
Also, is the carrying bag waterproof - or is there any need to keep it dry during multi-day excursions with it strapped to a rack?

Thanks for all the updates and photos...

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

The bag is supposed to be waterproof... the zipper is not. I just turn it zipper down when tying it to the racks. We spent 12+ hours driving and wheeling int he rain and mud - tent was dry when we pulled it out of the bag.

Moo

ShearPin

Adventurer
Hey - quick thanks to those who answered questions regarding Oztents. My RV3 arrived last week. I hope to get a weekend or two in before the season ends and will post my thoughts.

So far I've had the tent set-up on my deck. Quick and easy as promised. The aluminum frame, tent material, flooring, window mesh - all appears heavy duty and high quality. By backpacking standards it's large for a three man. At 6'3 I'll finally get to stand and pull my pants up in the morning.

While the tents size and weight limit it to a vehicle based tent it has the set-up speed, ease, heavy materials that I admired in my Eezi-Awn with less weight, more room, and some stand-up living space. Plus, my 3 year old loves it.... I think the benefits justify having my MSR for my footwork and the RV3 for the vehicle based stuff.... Looking forward to getting out in the fresh air.

Now to find a new home for my Eezi-Awn 1400...

Henry

Attachments

• OZTENTRV3.JPG
    OZTENTRV3.JPG
    716.3 KB · Views: 317

OzTentUSA

OzTents are available

The OzTent 30 second tent is now available in the USA! A new dealer has taken over and new shipment will arrive in the States mid September 09. For more information visit us at www.OzTent.us:wings: We are excited about bringing this great product back. We will be doing some traveling for shows throughout the US.

taco2go

Explorer
Just a plug for the new distributer- Randy was extremely helpful and easy to contact, during my recent purchase of some accessories- he even sent 2 replacement poles for my awning free of charge.
GREAT product BTW- the RV5 held up solidly during a vicously windy and wet first couple of days during the UP overland trip. :victory:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
The OzTent 30 second tent is now available in the USA! A new dealer has taken over and new shipment will arrive in the States mid September 09. For more information visit us at www.OzTent.us:wings: We are excited about bringing this great product back. We will be doing some traveling for shows throughout the US.

Glad to see this. I found the new website the other day, looks great.

Hopefully we will be making our order soon.

Jack

kclark421

Observer

Any ideal of the schedule for the traveling shows, I really like the tent and would like to see it up close in person, Will you be at the Expedition show next year. Do you have any discounts that are coming up that we could take advantage of as well.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Nice tents. I've seen one up close and they are very high quality. I'm very interested in seeing one of those Foxwing awnings up close, that is the best awning design I've seen!

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Oztents $100.00 OFF

I just placed and order for an RV1 and I saw that until the end of Oct they are all $100.00 off !! (In the US)

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman