Official OZTENT review

Hi guys,

I'm considering the RV5 for my family of four (Two adults, a 6 year old, and a 3.5 month old). What I'm wondering is if there is enough space to use 4 standard sized cots within the RV5? Does anyone have any pictures of this setup?

Thoughts on the matter?

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Just ordered the RV5 and hope to have it for Labor Day. I'll post some pics of the setup. Planning on using 2 Byer Easy Fold cots and a small table inside.

Plano26

Thread Revival:

Just wondering how everyone's OZtent's are holding up? Notice any defects etc? Just pull the trigger on the JV Signature edition; really like the setup and zip in floor for the front. Anyone have one of those? Thanks and really looking forward to some camping in 2015!

Thanks

zelatore

Explorer
I bought an RV4 at Overland Expo; it was a demo model they were staying in during the event. So far, no issues to report other than it attracts a lot of attention when you set it up around other people. ;) We're starting to build a following among our LR club for these things. I first got interested in one about a year ago when I saw another guy roll into camp late and set his up in about a minute.
^
One friend recently bought an JV Sig. edition with all the options; full floor/side panels/etc. He went this route as he's tall and the main body of the tent basically becomes his storage area and he 'lives' in the high-peaked front area. Unfortunately, the first time he put it up was in the dark at a campsite and he managed to break one of the plastic hinge/slide pieces. It was also something of a PITA to assemble all the additional pieces. It would be good for base camping, but putting all the extras together seemed like too much work for just one night then moving on. Of course I'm sure it all goes a lot smoother for him now that he's done it a few times.
^
The only 'complaints' I have about mine is that although you can indeed put the basic tent up in a minute or less, it does take a little longer to put the rest of it up. By the time I stake out the fly, awning, etc it's no longer the '30 second tent' by any means. It's still faster than my little Big Agnes backpacking tent or my REI Hobbitat, but it ain't no 30 seconds. And of course the other drawback is the sheer size/weight of the thing. Granted, I have the big RV4 because I wanted lots of room (and it does deliver) but without a rack to put it on there's simply no way to carry it in the average SUV or short bed truck. I don't know if my wife could even load the thing on top of the rig herself.
^
Going to take it out snow-camping at about 7000' at the end of the month. Can't wait to see how it does in some real cold.

Last edited:

Plano26

I bought an RV4 at Overland Expo; it was a demo model they were staying in during the event. So far, no issues to report other than it attracts a lot of attention when you set it up around other people. ;) We're starting to build a following among our LR club for these things. I first got interested in one about a year ago when I saw another guy roll into camp late and set his up in about a minute.
^
One friend recently bought an JV Sig. edition with all the options; full floor/side panels/etc. He went this route as he's tall and the main body of the tent basically becomes his storage area and he 'lives' in the high-peaked front area. Unfortunately, the first time he put it up was in the dark at a campsite and he managed to break one of the plastic hinge/slide pieces. It was also something of a PITA to assemble all the additional pieces. It would be good for base camping, but putting all the extras together seemed like too much work for just one night then moving on. Of course I'm sure it all goes a lot smoother for him now that he's done it a few times.
^
The only 'complaints' I have about mine is that although you can indeed put the basic tent up in a minute or less, it does take a little longer to put the rest of it up. By the time I stake out the fly, awning, etc it's no longer the '30 second tent' by any means. It's still faster than my little Big Agnes backpacking tent or my REI Hobbitat, but it ain't no 30 seconds. And of course the other drawback is the sheer size/weight of the thing. Granted, I have the big RV4 because I wanted lots of room (and it does deliver) but without a rack to put it on there's simply no way to carry it in the average SUV or short bed truck. I don't know if my wife could even load the thing on top of the rig herself.
^
Going to take it out snow-camping at about 7000' at the end of the month. Can't wait to see how it does in some real cold.

Thank you for the info on your RV4 and the JV Sig, it's greatly appreciated. ya, I figured the tent would be more than just the 30 seconds as pegging it down along with tie lines and any extra walls etc you would have to put up takes the extra time. Have a great trip at the end of the month!

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Anyone had issues with getting in contact with the U.S.A. distributors? I've emailed them via their contact system, about a week and a half ago, no reply. Called them, no one picks up and their "receptionist" (pretty obviously a paid call center forwarding system) has no idea when they're going to be in, or what their schedule is.

Strange concept of customer service. Very strange.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Czechsix - not sure who you're contacting but I'd recommend reaching out to Family Camping or Dirt Road Trip. I believe Dirt Road Trip might be able to hook up a discount. tell 'em 4xFish sent you :)

delivered by winged monkeys

Czechsix

Thanks m(a)ce....I've been trying to contact Oztent U.S., but no go. I shot an order out to another U.S. distributor...then again, haven't seen any shipping notice in several days, so looks like they don't have the items in stock either. If I don't hear from them by next week, I'll have to pull the order and your ideas. Thanks for the leads!

Plano26

Thanks m(a)ce....I've been trying to contact Oztent U.S., but no go. I shot an order out to another U.S. distributor...then again, haven't seen any shipping notice in several days, so looks like they don't have the items in stock either. If I don't hear from them by next week, I'll have to pull the order and your ideas. Thanks for the leads!

Strange you're not hearing from OZTent US. I went thru them when originally getting the JV Sig edition (but too small for my use) so I exchanged it out for the RV-5 with sides; rain fly; and front no problems. I dealt with Justin from there and customer service was pretty good with the exchange etc. However, I'm thinking about selling it as my overland plans might change. If you're interested in my RV-5 with all the accessories; shoot me a PM. Thanks

Czechsix

They might be out at an event, I guess. I still haven't heard anything back from them. Sent you a PM, Plano...

DaveM

Explorer
Not hearing anything back from OZ Tent USA either. Need to replace the storage bag for my RV 3. Original bag has become extremely sun damaged and fragile (torn handles). Not sure why the bag has fared so poorly when the tent still looks like new. I've been putting it off due the cost of the bags but now need a new one.

Edited to add: just got an email reply followed by a quick phone order. Everything taken care care of, great service.

Last edited:

Daveeli

My wife and I have been looking at the Oztents for awhile. I would like to ask those who have them how they hold up after a lot of use. Most of the reviews I have read are from people who have just gotten the tents and are amazed at how fast they can be set up.
I have read a few reviews stating that the fabric and the seams don't hold up. Also I have read that they are miserable in the heat, they don't breathe. I love the features of these tents, I just want to hear some good things from people who have really used them. We want to get one, but it's a lot of money, and we want to be sure.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
My wife and I have been looking at the Oztents for awhile. I would like to ask those who have them how they hold up after a lot of use. Most of the reviews I have read are from people who have just gotten the tents and are amazed at how fast they can be set up.
I have read a few reviews stating that the fabric and the seams don't hold up. Also I have read that they are miserable in the heat, they don't breathe. I love the features of these tents, I just want to hear some good things from people who have really used them. We want to get one, but it's a lot of money, and we want to be sure.

I have mine since last year and only spent about 15 nights in it. Well, that's not a lot of use, but 2 nights I had it at a country music festival where drunk people were frequently stumbling over the guy ropes without any damage to the tent.

I'll be on vacation in the Mediterranean sea in June. After that I'll be able to tell you more about how they perform in the heat.

DaveM

Explorer
We've had our RV-3 for at least 5 or 6 years, and used it many times. Overall the quality is very good and does hold up well. The fabric is fairly heavy duty compared to standard pole tents and I haven't noticed any wear spots and no tears. Screen is also in good shape and seems strong. The floor "tub" is a thick PVC material I think. Also very tough and no wear spots. We do always use a heavy duty ground tarp under the tent.

Now for the issues:

1) there are several spots mostly at the velcro loop pieces, where the stitching wasn't finished properly and the thread is coming out resulting in loose velcro patches. It was like this new and I've been meaning to re stitch them for 6 years now. Still attached but loose.

2) in a couple of spots at two of the floor corners there are small pin holes (or slightly larger) where I can see light coming in. I'm not sure when I noticed these or what caused them. It's been almost since new. They could be easily closed with a small patch or some sealant. I think it was a poor weld at the corner. Not an issue so far, but could let water in.

3) the carry bag. With such a large tent, the bag is a necessity and only an OZ tent bag really fits. While our tent looks pretty close to new after many hours in the sun, our original bag had deteriorated to the point the handles tore off and the bag was a light grey, no longer black. It happened very quickly. The bag material is junk and the stitches come part very easily. They sell a replacement but it's $60 I think. In my opinion this should be a warranty repair as I'd expect the bag for this tent to hold up with the tent better.

4) they are dark. The fabric is thick and dark green, making them dark in the woods even during the day and jet black at night. This may not be an issue and may even be a benefit depending.

5) they can be very hot. If you park it in the full sun and don't have any breeze they are ovens, but so are a lot of tents. With a small breeze the back window and the top vents allow for good flow. But the wall fabric does not breathe.

I'm happy with ours but might have picked the RV4 for a little more storage room now that we have two boys with with us. But eventually they'll be in their own tents.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12