Official OZTENT review

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
For those interested I have a RV4 for sale..see ad in the for sale section. Tent is in Greenville, SC but I travel frequently to Atlanta and Charlotte...and will be headed to the Detroit area in June...can make stops off of I75....

JCTex

Observer
I'm about to start using my Signature OzTent. No use history, yet, but wanted to post here so other Signature owners could correspond.

The main tent is almost too heavy for me; so, it lives inside where I don't have to lift it very far. The other p&p will eventually find homes in various bags inside, also. Only use and time will tell me how many nights or in what conditions will be necessary before I take the trouble to set up the screen room. It's not the extra time putting it all together I. Ind, it's the longer time and energy needed to take down in the morning when I'm trying to get rolling on the trail.

Same thing on the zip-in screen room floor. Not sure when I want to use it that justify the trouble unzipping it in the morning. Guess it will depend on bugs and mud.

I'm trying to use it in a sideways configuration, meaning, point it toward the Jeep's hood and set it alongside the PS. I already have an EeziAwn Manta (batwing) on the DS. I'm trying to figure a way to use the extra awning attached to the front side as rain cover for my PS. That is ~7.5' long which is long enough to cover the PS. This will keep me from having to buy/set up an awning for the PS. All this is so I can get in the PS doors without getting too wet.

Doing this puts the corner of the screen house at the right rear corner of the Jeep. This opens the screen room onto the rear of my Jeep which is where my galley is for cooking. I'm still toying with the configuration. Will pix when I find the best solution, for now.

Jerry
Collin County TX

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
I have an RV 3 and have had it for a fair few years, it has been through some rough places in Australia. Only issues I have had are, the bag has degraded and needs replacing, some peg straps have ripped off, condensation builds up and runs down the inside of the tent dripping from the cross bar at the back, can get quite wet. Will post some photos when I have time.

I've been considering one of these. But the fact that there isn't a "rainfly" type of cover over it where condensation usually collects and then runs down, has me slightly worried about that, and now that Scott mentioned it, I'm a bit weary on pulling the trigger. Are there any mitigating factors? Will open windows help with this?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Open windows are about the only way to deal with it...or have a bivy inside. I used an RV2 during the mudpocalypse at OvEx recently. It kept the rain out just fine, no leaks, but it was almost raining inside at night from condensation. It's a tight tent. Ventilation will be your friend.

brushogger

Explorer
Open windows are about the only way to deal with it...or have a bivy inside. I used an RV2 during the mudpocalypse at OvEx recently. It kept the rain out just fine, no leaks, but it was almost raining inside at night from condensation. It's a tight tent. Ventilation will be your friend.

I have an RV-4 that I used there. I opened the vents above the doors and left a small opening where the zipper pulls all meet. Even using the little buddy heater I had very little condensation. If I hadn't opened those vents it would have been pretty wet. These tents are tight when sealed completely up. There's not a tent in the world that won't have condensation on the inside if sealed tight when it's cold. I've had mine 4 years and slept in it 60-70 nights. It's held up great, but the bag is getting pretty rough. Time to order another.

brushogger

Explorer
One friend recently bought an JV Sig. edition with all the options; full floor/side panels/etc. He went this route as he's tall and the main body of the tent basically becomes his storage area and he 'lives' in the high-peaked front area. Unfortunately, the first time he put it up was in the dark at a campsite and he managed to break one of the plastic hinge/slide pieces. I

This happens when one picks the "legs" up too high when unfolding them. They should warn about that in the instructions. I don't lift mine over about a foot high. If there's no wind or rain, I just stake the back corners and middle rear tension straps. This makes for about a 2 min setup time and quick tear down. If I'm going to be there a while I'll set up the awning. I built a basket for my roof rack to secure mine and lock it up. I'll post some pics of it later.

AML

Adventurer
Just wanted to share that the kids version of the Cam-o-bunk fits in the RV-5. Still a bit of a tight squeeze but it works without touching any walls. The full size version will only fit lengthwise. image.jpg

Sorry the picture was taken inside the garage, so not the best picture.

Here is a shot of the bunk set up as a couch... Kids love it!

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12