10k in upgrades on a ram 2500

joshuak172

Hey folks, just bought a 2019 ram 2500 CCSB Cummins tradesman. We have a farm and I will be towing close to max capacity (19k) about once a month. Other than that it will be my daily driver and I want to use it for camping/overlanding occasionally. My question is, I have budgeted 10k for outfitting it properly, how would you prioritize and what would you purchase given this budget? My thoughts are sumo springs and weight distributing hitch to manage my max tow, throw 35” ko2’s on the stock wheels to get a bit of off road capability while retaining the on road capacities and then possibly a titan replacement tank for extended range. At a loss after that. Also, we live on a mountain top and the 1/4 mile up our driveway is extremely steep and craggy so I was thinking maybe new gears would be helpful? What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd spend the 10k on fuel...lol.

Give it a year before you start dumping money into it. You might find that the mods you are planning on are not needed and other things things that you had not thought about are needing to be addressed.

Also, I'd do the WDH and leave the stock springs. If you need to level it out, I'd go with air bags over the Sumo springs.

Last edited by a moderator:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
First off, should have bought a 3500 towing that much weight for the HO engine and Aisin... But too late for that, so I would spend it on a high end shock setup, and airbags for towing, with daystar cradles.

flylow4500

Observer
BFGs are for ecoboost size trucks.

Thuren and Carli suspension is realized every time you drive the truck. Order it now.

No need for gears, speed is the answer. :)

You’ll figure the rest out. Check out my build to see the long version.

CodyY

Explorer
You didn't mention if that includes labor costs or you're doing most of the installation.

Carli "leveling" with trackbar

Tires (with matching spare)
I've had lots of good feedback on Nitto ridge grappler lately but do your own research and base it on YOUR needs.

Onboard air.
arb is cool, but the Viair stuff works really well for like half the money. I like having a small tank and running 3/8 DOT line front and rear. Especially on a farm

Helper bags.
Big weight on occasion? Nothing fills the bill like a helper system.

Good quality toolbox. With/without transfer tank.
Weather guard or similar. The crap from Lowes lasts like 2 years of real use. If you get the aux tank it kinda kills 2 birds with one stone on the Titan tank. However they're nice, I put a 60 gallon Titan in an F250 last week.

Self recovery/ utility
Warn evo VR has built in wireless and available with a synthetic line for not much more than Harbor freight.

Optional: Bumpers. Dont add a bazillion lbs with ranch hand. The Red Steel line from fab fours aren't so gaudy and are super reasonably priced.

Steps/sliders
AMP steps are nice but they get muddy and are too heavy to properly retract. Aries makes a retractable step that is really cool. Similar to the Rockslide engineering step sliders for the Jeeps.

That should get you to about $8k in parts. Add in some floor mats, recovery gear and sales tax you're on your way with a war wagon ready for most situations.

But that's just, like my opinion, man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boz

Observer
I will repeat what these guys have said,
Thuren or Carli for a leveling kit
Airbags with daystar cradles for those times you're towing heavy (to supplement the WD hitch)
And forget about the BFG's, they are garbage on heavier trucks. Im a huge fan of Toyo's and run them on everything but the Nittos and Falkens get some pretty solid reviews.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
1. carli starter kit
2. either:
power wagon lockers f/r 1st choice
detroit rear/true track front 2nd choice
front true track 3rd choice
3. b&w gooseneck or 5th wheel depending on your trailer
4. weatherguard tool box
5. rubber bed mat really helps smooth out the ride...

Pnwfullsize

I would spend $2k on suspension. Carli signature kit with track bar and airbags with daystar cradles.

$2500 on 5 wheels and tires, personally i would run 35s.

$3000 on a canopy with roof rack on it. Maybe cheaper canopy with decked drawers.

$500 on maxtraxx/recovery gear.

The final $2000 for me would be baja designs squadrons in the factory fog location if you have it or xl80s on the a pillar. Some rear scene lights i imagine would be helpful on the farm too. Probably some seat covers and some storage solution stuff in the cab.

joshuak172

Well, got all the towing kit I need, blue ox wdh, sumo springs for the rear. Also ordered the replacement Titan tank. Still debating the wheels/tires. The stock steel rims aren’t bad, I actually don’t mind them. Anyone hear any issues with them? I’m thinking either just put 35” Toyo M/Ts on the stock rims or order them on either method 315s or AEV katlas, either would be on the stock suspension. I would like to also get the aev lift and 37s but they are shut down for the time being and also concerned how that would affect towing. . Any additional thoughts on wheels/tires?

I think next thing will be decked drawers for the back. I love the functionality with the drawers, I used to have them on a Tacoma. Just a little hesitant due to taking up bed space.

I won’t get a canopy because I need the bed open for bigger items from time to time. I am debating a rack though that I could put a RTTon. MTF.

Adventurous

Explorer
35s on stock wheels will probably kiss either the radius arm or inner fender plastic/fender flare. Methods or AEVs will help clear the radius arm, but will most likely require trimming or reforming of the fender liner plastic and/or flare. Just something to be aware of, though if you ever run chains, you won't have clearance to do so up front.

Personally, if I wanted to fit 37s without hacking up the truck, I'd go with a Thuren lift + Synergy radius arm relocation brackets to push the axle forward. I just can't fathom paying what AEV is asking for a glorified spacer lift + Bilsteins.

chet6.7

Explorer
Please show some pictures and give a review of the Sumo springs.
I had tire rub with 315/70/18,these took care of it,305 NV HD Matte Black Heavy Duty (HD) 4500 lbs. load rating for maximum payload.
Check out CJC offroad and Thuren Fabrication sections for information.
The 35's spec an 8.5 wheel,are the stock wheels 8.0?

Last edited:

joshuak172

35s on stock wheels will probably kiss either the radius arm or inner fender plastic/fender flare. Methods or AEVs will help clear the radius arm, but will most likely require trimming or reforming of the fender liner plastic and/or flare. Just something to be aware of, though if you ever run chains, you won't have clearance to do so up front.

Personally, if I wanted to fit 37s without hacking up the truck, I'd go with a Thuren lift + Synergy radius arm relocation brackets to push the axle forward. I just can't fathom paying what AEV is asking for a glorified spacer lift + Bilsteins.
Which Thuren lift? Seems like there are many options.

Adventurous

Explorer
Which Thuren lift? Seems like there are many options.

Best bet would be to talk to them directly, they are very friendly and can do a better job evaluating your needs vs what they offer and laying out the pros and cons of say, a 2.0 shock vs a 2.5. Carli offers similar packages, btw, and you can't go wrong with either.

For reference, when I spoke with them about suspension on my 3500 for carrying 4K lbs of payload on forest service roads, they recommended the King 2.5 kit as it offers the most robust damping capability across all expected conditions. I did end up adding air bags and cradles on my truck, and I suspect you may require those as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears