Onboard Air Question: How to keep exposed quick disconnects clean?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I'm about to relocate my compressor and add quick disconnects on each bumper. For those of you who have done this, are you using anything to keep the connections clean of debris? If so, what are you using?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

my1stcummins

Adventurer
Go to any hydraulic hose shop, ie Parker, and purchase some hydraulic quick connect dust boots. I used these on my fittings at my bumpers. Work great. I'll post some pics later.

verdesardog

Explorer
I have a tennis ball with an X cut into it to cover my air connection.....which is out of sight just under the drivers side rear bumper.

Scoutman

Explorer
The 7/8" chair tips fit my 1/4"NPT chucks but I've also used the hydraulic covers and like the lanyard for them to keep from getting lost.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm about to relocate my compressor and add quick disconnects on each bumper. For those of you who have done this, are you using anything to keep the connections clean of debris? If so, what are you using?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Quality quick disconnects cost the same as shoddy ones, they are just a bit harder to fine. Look inside the female coupler and see how many ball bearings it has to grab the male coupler. 3 = real trouble, 4 = marginal/consumer grade, 5 or 6 = durable shop grade.

Sometimes the little things can make a big difference.

The 7/8" chair tips fit my 1/4"NPT chucks but I've also used the hydraulic covers and like the lanyard for them to keep from getting lost.

I'm using plastic chair tips as well... They're straight-walled plastic, not the thick rubber kind. They work great so far, although my connector is under the hood and so relatively sheltered.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
One of the slickest things I've seen for this was the quick connect mounted inside the fuel filler door. The specific vehicle had more than enough room in there.

I just recently did this on my Discovery 2. Nice to have it away from the elements, and doesn't interfere with the fuel cap. Not the most beautiful install out there, but does the trick.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I've bought dust caps for shipping protection from both of these websites in the past. They have tons of different styles, sizes, and materials.
http://www.caplugs.com/
http://www.capsnplugs.com/products/plasticcaps/

That's awesome...that's very helpful. Thank you! These even have exact dimensions too! That's what's been missing when trying to find the hydraulic covers. The hydraulic fittings aren't the same size as the air fittings; thus, without dimensional data, it has been difficult to find the right size. I ordered some from McMaster Carr and then used a heat gun to stretch the ones I ordered to fit, but being able to order by exact dimensions would have been much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior