L494 RRS onboard air

PhyrraM

Adventurer
For those that may be curious, I'll do a bit of showing off of the onboard air system I designed and installed.

It's all in a 2017 RRS Supercharged Dynamic without the 3/4 zone climate control. There is no rear HVAC unit behind the left side rear cargo trim panel, but lots of empty space to hide components.

I fabricated a back panel that mounts using the (unused) threaded studs reserved for the rear HVAC unit. To this panel I have mounted the air compressor, 1/2 gallon storage tank, necessary fuses and relays, an ARB Compressor Connect system, and an A/C inverter. The panel is currently a fiber pressboard for ease of design, but a more rigid aluminum plate is forthcoming.

Product Circuit component Audio equipment Electronic instrument Hardware programmer

The pressure switch controls the pressure in the tank and keeps the compressor from running all the time. The white airline is routed to the right side "cubby" and terminates in a standard quick connect fitting where a hose can be connected.

Blue Automotive tire Light Hood Azure

For me the fun part is the integration of the ARB Compressor Connect. Basically it's an app based automatic tire deflation/inflation system. I save the time usually wasted micromanaging the deflation and inflation of all 4 tires before hitting the trails and returning to the highway. I chose to take it one step further and design a system to do all 4 tires at once without the snake of hoses running to the cargo(or under hood/bonnet) area the premade systems have.

I ran a 6mm hose from under the cargo trim where the compressor is to under the rear seat. From there it runs to a tee and out to each side of the rear seat.

Circuit component Automotive tire Audio equipment Motor vehicle Auto part

I fabricated two brackets from 1/8" x 1" aluminum strip to hold a standard airline quick disconnect. One for each side. These are mounted using the rear seatbelt anchor studs and nuts. I plan to fabricate covers that should make them all but invisible to the casual observer. They seem completely out of the way of any passenger interference.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

The hoses coming from the tee under the seat terminate at these disconnects using adapter fittings. Because the spec for front and rear tires are for different pressures. I fabricated a two piece hose assembly that runs a separate hose to each tire. Each hose has a locking tire chuck. The hoses to the rear tire are plugged directly into the quick connect, while the front tires are on a "sub" disconnect and can be removed while leaving the rear ones in place. This allows me to connect all 4 tires and set the system to the front tire pressure, disconnect the fronts and reset the system to the rear tire pressure to do a "top off" on just the rears. It sounds more complicated than it is when actually doing it.

Electrical wiring Automotive tire Audio equipment Cable Electrical supply

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget

Hood Light Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

The app connects to the control box through bluetooth and automatically both deflates and inflates to the set pressure as required. It saves a few presets for convenience. Initial testing, on my street tires, it took about 5 mins to go from 42psi to 20psi and about 8 for the reverse. It takes less than a minute to connect the 4 tires before and the same to disconnect after. The last time I used the old "cigarette lighter" air pump and did all 4 tires, one at a time, it was at least a 15 minute endeavor switching between the pump and the tire pressure gauge when inflating that kept me busy the whole time. Now the bulk of the time is free to pack, socialize, scream at the kids...whatever.

Font Gadget Clock Screenshot Electronic device

PhyrraM

Adventurer
All closed up and ready to go. One of the buttons on the pushbutton panel controls the compressor power. The others will control other devices. The other panels are 120 volt AC outlets from the inverter and USB ports to charge devices.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nice work! Just an FYI, I highly recommend NOT installing the compressor on an aluminum plate. It will greatly amplify sound and vibration from the compressor. Even with rubber mounts.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Nice work! Just an FYI, I highly recommend NOT installing the compressor on an aluminum plate. It will greatly amplify sound and vibration from the compressor. Even with rubber mounts.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hadn't thought about the vibrations of an aluminum plate. The board used now works well and is fairly quiet, it's just kinda dopey looking - like the back of a 1960s tv - and I'm not sure about the long term durability.

Any ideas to throw out would be appreciated....

DieselRanger

This is awesome. You should license this design to the aftermarket distributors - the Discovery 5 has a similar unused space. If you built the plate and pre-cut the lines, everything looks like it would be fairly easy to install.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
This is awesome. You should license this design to the aftermarket distributors - the Discovery 5 has a similar unused space. If you built the plate and pre-cut the lines, everything looks like it would be fairly easy to install.

I will likely make the final back panel using a web service called Send Cut Send. Basically, take the measurements from the completed prototype panel and translate to CAD, send the CAD file to Send Cut Send, receive a laser cut sheet of your chosen material and thickness to install. They can do bending of that sheet too, if desired. The idea was to incorporate dual mounting holes for a both a cheap inverter and a nice Victron unit so I can upgrade once the idea was proven. Possibly even mounting for a choice of single or dual ARB compressors.

I suppose I can consider the idea of offering/selling the files or completed plates. The market is likely very niche for now. I also don't know the percentage of L494s that DON'T have the rear HVAC unit. Maybe it will grow like the LR3/LR4 market is currently doing. As far as licensing it ...I would think its easier for a company already fabricating or selling parts to just take the idea and design their own version of it than to license it. But, I'm a mechanic, not a businessman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online