So I want to import a Defender...

RedXterra

Observer
So after a lot of thinking, I want a Defender 110.

I'm visiting the family right now, and I brought up that I've been looking at Land Rovers and in a couple years I'd like to fly to London and import a 25 year old Defender. I told them that Defenders are very pricey in the US, but are fairly affordable in the UK.

My mom said that the family will be going on a month long trip up to Ireland next summer, and that they would be renting a car for the duration of of the trip.
She then brought up the idea that instead of flying straight to Dublin, they could fly to London and pick up a 25 year old Defender in good running condition and use that for the trip instead of renting a car, and that when they were done, I could export it to the US. And then she said that if they cost so much in the US, and are so cheap in the UK, is there money to be made importing and selling them? I told her it was a possibility, and that I'd do some research. She then said, well if we're going to be up there already buying one, why not buy three, keep one and sell two to help pay for the restoration.

So now the question. Do you think there is money to be made importing a couple older running Defenders and selling them in the states?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Some Dude

Adventurer
Get a big bottle of aspirin for the headaches this will cause you. Get a big bottle of booze to drown your sorrows when it doesn't work out.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
So after a lot of thinking, I want a Defender 110.

I'm visiting the family right now, and I brought up that I've been looking at Land Rovers and in a couple years I'd like to fly to London and import a 25 year old Defender. I told them that Defenders are very pricey in the US, but are fairly affordable in the UK.

My mom said that the family will be going on a month long trip up to Ireland next summer, and that they would be renting a car for the duration of of the trip.
She then brought up the idea that instead of flying straight to Dublin, they could fly to London and pick up a 25 year old Defender in good running condition and use that for the trip instead of renting a car, and that when they were done, I could export it to the US. And then she said that if they cost so much in the US, and are so cheap in the UK, is there money to be made importing and selling them? I told her it was a possibility, and that I'd do some research. She then said, well if we're going to be up there already buying one, why not buy three, keep one and sell two to help pay for the restoration.

So now the question. Do you think there is money to be made importing a couple older running Defenders and selling them in the states?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

A 1988 or earlier British/Irish Defender is most likely a ragged out farm truck / work truck. Think along the lines of a 1988 F-150 or C1500. (I bet you can buy a vintage F-150 cheaper in the US than the UK, just like you could buy a vintage Defender cheaper in the UK that the US)

Cheaper than a NAS Defender? Undoubtedly. Better value than a NAS Defender? I have my doubts. First off, it will be right hand drive. Of course, the frame will be rusted through. And then that motor is a 85hp diesel - or at least it had 85hp when it was new, 200,000 miles ago. Thinking about bringing in one that has been 'upgraded'? Think again - to get through Customs it had better have the original frame and motor - a lot of Defenders have been seized this year.

Now while I'm trying to discourage you from importing a Defender as a way to save money, I'm in no way trying to discourage you from importing a Defender from the mother country - it could be a cool project and a great way to learn about vehicle importation, frame swaps, frame off restorations, EPA regs, engine swaps, customs, DOT regs, etc...

Italia64

Observer
The import process is not that difficult. The key is to find a good freight agent on the export side who can make sure that all the paperwork is completed properly. Same on the US side, a freight agent at the port who can work through the customs process. I have imported two cars, one from Italy and one from Germany, and guided a friend through the process to import a car recently from the Netherlands. The hard part is finding the right car, or I your case a Defender, that makes it all worth the effort. It does take some effort, make sure you know what you're getting into if you decide to do it.

Mack73

Adventurer
Go nose around on Defender Source ... name recently changed from D90 dot com.

This. And you will also find a recent letter from customs to the field agents talking about increased monitoring of defenders coming into the country. Customs IS on the look out for all defenders coming into the country. Everything must be 100% original. If the chassis, block, drivetrain configuraiton has been changed forget about it. The vehicle must be exactly as the VIN says or its not coming in.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to run the risk with my hard earned money. Buy one that is already in the country - because getting one through now, isn't like it used to be.

tacr2man

Adventurer
The chances of finding a 90 or 110 of that vintage ( they were not defenders untill 90/91) in the UK with a chassis that hasnt been welded several times are pretty slim (my 110 hasnt but thats because it spent most of its early life out of UK and in Australia ) You might be luckier finding one thats LHD as well , which would also most likely have a better chassis , in an overseas location , where they also drive on the wrong side:smiley_drive: My 90 which is younger than the 110 having spent all its life here has just had a new galvanised chassis fitted .

example here
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...red=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...red=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT

HTSH

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
A couple different routes:

Refurbished LHD ex-MOD truck. I know someone else has one here and loves it. That said, I am personally not too much of a fan of the 2.5 NAD. However I have heard that disco 200 TDI's are reasonably inexpensive and can be brought in legally (if I am wrong on this, please correct me!). Put said 200TDI in the back, import said truck, once here, swap them out, sell 2.5 NAD to a series owner. Then go nuts with the sound proofing and boom, there ya go.

Also look for other sources of defenders. Possibly Australia (just throwing that out there) but also heavily consider southern Europe. There you are more likely to get normal-people trucks, its better weather, and LHD.

At this time, I would NOT recommend trying to bring in a non-numbers matching vehicle.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
However I have heard that disco 200 TDI's are reasonably inexpensive and can be brought in legally (if I am wrong on this, please correct me!). Put said 200TDI in the back, import said truck, once here, swap them out, sell 2.5 NAD to a series owner. Then go nuts with the sound proofing and boom, there ya go.

200Tdi first appeared in 1989. Starting next year you could import a disco Tdi and pull the engine from it. 40' container with a 110 and a Disco and go to town?

Eniam17

Adventurer
What do you want to use a 25 year old 110 for? Is it necessary for something you are going to do? Are you looking to learn about them? Is it just the cool factor? If you're looking to get into older Rover ownership for any reason, trying to import a Defender is one of the harder ways to start. There are plenty of vehicles right here in the US that could probably be a lot of fun for you without the headache of the import.

evilfij

Explorer
I imported one. No big deal. Paid 500ukp for it off eBay.co.uk

Just make sure it is original and other than waiting, no big deal.

Once it is here, go to town or just buy a NAS 110.

tacr2man

Adventurer
A further bit of useful info, is look to buy a earlier version eg 90/110 before they became defender, as the guage of the alloy used is thicker . HTSH

Team.RGP

I'd rather import a LHD model from southern Europe or from a warmer country than UK.
I've been living in Spain and you can find well preserved Defenders at a good price. If you want to avoid rust, UK or northern Europe is not the place to look at. Besides, if you consider to resell it in the USA, LHD is an advantage.

Regards
Raf

RedXterra

Observer
I really appreciate all the input and helpful information.

I'm still really interested in importing a Defender, but I'll probably just try and import just one.

Where would be a good place to find vehicles for sale in Europe?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12