So I want to import a Defender...

DividingCreek

Explorer
Anytime Frank. Despite this Spring's turmoil July is shaping up to be my busiest month ever with 27 vehicles inbound as of the today.

I still crack up when I think of the day I picked up your truck with the bed full of UK apples from the port.....US Dept Of Agriculture was slacking that day.

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
.....US Dept Of Agriculture was slacking that day.
I drove in the US last month and we got pulled for inspection. The ag chick asks if we have anything in the car. We say there is an orange and banana. Oranges are spawn of the devil. They search the car and she comes back saying she could not find the fruit. It was sitting on the floor of the passenger seat in plain view.

RedXterra

Observer
Thanks for the good info.

Can you recommend any good freight companies?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DividingCreek

Explorer
I import defenders from all around the planet for discerning risk adverse US owners.
My website is in my signature line for more information.

Last edited:

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I'm not a Rover owner, but can relate a bit of experience coming from importing our '85 G wagen to Kalifornistan (read: hardest state in the country to do it). To get to the end quickly, ours was imported, CA titled and registered within a few weeks of it arriving in the US. It was easier than some cars or bikes I've owned before.

First and foremost, 25 years old, end of discussion. Otherwise it is a nightmare with federalization. Also the diesel actually helped in CA based on no need for ANY emissions whatsoever.

This thread should give you some relevant info: http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3224

In terms of where to look, the afore mentioned autoscout.de and mobile.de are your best bet and I'd also narrow your search to Italy and Spain based on weather. Germany will be a rust bucket, and if not you will pay $$$ for a clean one.

Hope that helps a bit.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
My 200Tdi 110 CSW is 25 next January.

It has matching numbers - although the 200Tdi is a retrofit by the factory as it's an ex factory vehicle

It's not rusty - although it has a new rear x member and late model TD5 front doors

Its for sale, although I don't really want to sell it

Okay it's not LHD and it's got the odd battle scar, but it's over serviced, loaded with good quality, well fitted up-grades

And I'm not greedy

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
And also not eligible for US import as is because of the engine fitted.

My 200Tdi 110 CSW is 25 next January.

It has matching numbers - although the 200Tdi is a retrofit by the factory as it's an ex factory vehicle

It's not rusty - although it has a new rear x member and late model TD5 front doors

Its for sale, although I don't really want to sell it

Okay it's not LHD and it's got the odd battle scar, but it's over serviced, loaded with good quality, well fitted up-grades

And I'm not greedy

SpeedAddict502

Observer
I dont understand this. Is Customs giving people problems even with importing Land Rovers over 25 years old that have an engine swap? Or are the problems y'all are talking about only for people trying to import ones newer than 25 years old?

If it is the first one, man that just makes my blood boil. If the chassis and cab are over 25 years old, it should not matter in one bit what engine is in it. That stinks of someone with power meddling in this affair to only be able to sell new ones or something.....

SpeedAddict502

Observer
I've read the regs, and I know what section you are talking about. But the fact is, in almost any place in the country, once a vehicle is over 25 years old no one cares anymore. And they shouldn't, it is ridiculous for them to care.

Also with importation of other vehicles over 25 years old, I know for certain that they don't even give it a second thought if the vehicle was modified once they see the paperwork that it is over 25 years old. Why the hard on for Defenders??

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I understand what you are saying and I agree that morally there is some contention. What we are talking about are EPA tampering laws.

I agree that most states do not enforce the EPA's tampering laws. I have stated my opinion on this many times before. However, when the EPA has a chance to enforce their own laws at the port, they seem to be quite happy to.

EricWS

Observer
I've read the regs, and I know what section you are talking about. But the fact is, in almost any place in the country, once a vehicle is over 25 years old no one cares anymore. And they shouldn't, it is ridiculous for them to care.

Also with importation of other vehicles over 25 years old, I know for certain that they don't even give it a second thought if the vehicle was modified once they see the paperwork that it is over 25 years old. Why the hard on for Defenders??

Oh I don't know. People rebuilding old trucks into modern defenders than importing. Kind gets attention.

DefendersNW

Observer
Feel free to reach out with questions - if you want to come up the Gig Harbor I can walk you through the process and let you crawl around in my Defenders for a bit.

Doug is an excellent resource - for advice and services.

brian@defendersnw.com

Longtallsally

Adventurer

Has nothing to do with EPA- it's a VIN matching deal. The numbers match, all good. Otherwise it could be an issue for theft.

And in general, it's not rocket science. Again, what made ours easier was already having a title (we bought it while still in Germany). Do that and reference the federal guidelines in the thread I posted and your state specific ones, and you should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online