'12 JKUR- First Expedition Build

daryn1979

Observer
I'm finally getting around to building my '12 JK Unlimited Rubicon. I think I've learned a lot from my other Jeeps, and this one will be more of an expedition-style build. Over the last few builds, I've learned that most of my offroading consists of trail riding, so building a rock-rig is overkill for me. I'll be focusing on building a rig I can take anywhere for camping/fishing/hunting, but still streetable for long drives to GA and out west.

Starting point:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
3.6L V6
4.10 Gearing
4:1 T-Case
E-discos
E-lockers
255/75r17 BFG TA/KM tires

To-do list:

- 285/75r17 Toyo Open Country AT2s DONE
- 1.5" RK lift DONE
- Nemesis Odyssey Front/Rear Fenders
- Crawler Conceptz Ultimate Front Bumper DONE
- New Rear Bumper
- Storage/Sleeping Platform for rear
- OBA DONE
- Winch
- Soft Top
- ARB Fridge/Freezer

Last edited:

daryn1979

Observer
Over the LONG MN winter, I did a few small modifications, but nothing performance-wise. I swapped out the speakers, poly-filled and dynamatted the speaker boxes, and did the DIY mesh insert for the grille to keep all the leaves out.

In March I finally got some new shoes for her- 285/75r17 Toyo Open Country AT2s. Got them from Treadepot.com for a song, with free shipping to NTB for mounting. Techs were certain they wouldn't fit, but they did- barely. I still have to install the 1.5" Spidertrax spacers, but they just barely rub at full lock in reverse. Rides like a dream, and MUCH safer on the road than the stock tires- I was sliding right through intersections all winter. Luckily, I was able to sell them to recoup some funds for more projects!

Last edited:

daryn1979

Observer
Not even three days after getting the new tires mounted, I slipped and broke my ankle pretty bad. Luckily, I was on orders at the time, so no out-of-pocket expenses to me. Unfortunately, any progress on the build came to a screeching halt. My cast finally came off three weeks ago and I was slowly able to get things moving again. Over the last couple weeks, I've removed the stock sliders and replaced them with the Mopar "Enhanced" sliders so my girlfriend could use the rub rails as a step to actually get into the jeep. I also picked up a Crawler Conceptz front bumper. I can't give this company enough praise- they gave a great military discount and the bumper is exactly what I was looking for. I picked it up from the powdercoater last Friday and with a lot of limping and swearing, installed it. Now I need to decide on if I should add flat fenders or a lift next. I'm trying to keep it as low as I can, and I think Nemesis or MCE fenders will help me decide if I need a lift, or if it should be 1.5" or 2.5"...

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice updates!
Those tires fit the rims really nice, and look awesome. Bumper looks really stout, and definitely like the stinger option. Great choice!

Sorry to hear about your ankle. That's drag!

I saw a YouTube video of the Mopar parts guys at EJS. In the video they showed two concept Wranglers with High Mounted Fenders. They look stock, except they are about 3" higher (IIRC). *Supposedly* they are going to bring these to market. Would make a nice option, especially if the Mopar Mud Guards fit. Keeps the body well protected from rocks salt and mud, but gives lots of clearance for tall tires on a lower lift.

daryn1979

Observer
Finally decided on a lift. After reading all the reviews about Rock Krawler's triple-rate springs, I pulled the trigger on a set of 1.5" from River City Offroad. I had originally planned on 2.5", but after seeing a few builds using 1.5" coils, I was sold. Marcus at RCO made a package deal with the springs and a set of Bilstein 5100s that I couldn't beat.

Once everything arrives, I'll be spending the weekend installing the springs, shocks, wheel spacers, painting the rims, and perhaps the heated seat kit and Cobra 75wx.

With a 1.5" lift on stock arms and 285/75r17s, should I increase the bumpstops?

Sport43537

Nice looking rig! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures after the lift install and hearing about the ride quality. I have a '14 JKUR and I'm trying to decide between the RK, AEV, and TF. Looking at a 2.5" lift, but I'm intrigued by your approach.

MR.Ty

Observer
Finally decided on a lift. After reading all the reviews about Rock Krawler's triple-rate springs, I pulled the trigger on a set of 1.5" from River City Offroad. I had originally planned on 2.5", but after seeing a few builds using 1.5" coils, I was sold. Marcus at RCO made a package deal with the springs and a set of Bilstein 5100s that I couldn't beat.

Once everything arrives, I'll be spending the weekend installing the springs, shocks, wheel spacers, painting the rims, and perhaps the heated seat kit and Cobra 75wx.

With a 1.5" lift on stock arms and 285/75r17s, should I increase the bumpstops?

I would suggest you flex out your rig on an RTI ramp if possible to see where and if your are rubbing. As far as bump stops I will suggest metalcloak adjustable bumpstops as a one stop, all you need type thing. Good luck on the build!

daryn1979

Observer
Nice looking rig! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures after the lift install and hearing about the ride quality. I have a '14 JKUR and I'm trying to decide between the RK, AEV, and TF. Looking at a 2.5" lift, but I'm intrigued by your approach.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the install and seeing how much lift I get from these springs. I've heard some people getting 2" of lift on a JKUR with 1.5" springs- mostly because RK claims to base their lift heights on an up-fitted jeep instead of a stock rig. I was torn between OME, RK and AEV for a lift because I've always heard good things about AEV and I had an OME lift on my last TJ. I didn't consider TeraFlex because, based on my research, TF has one of the worst reputations for spring sag. I know everyone in the TJ world avoids TF stuff like the plague, so it's interesting to see that so many JK owners flock to them. Perhaps they're getting their stuff together?

I've had questions about why I chose such a small lift, and it comes down to two main things. One is cost- I can install just the springs and new shocks for around $550, then add a new track bar or extended swaybar links if I need them (which I hear that I won't). Also, the travel on a stock JK is quite impressive compared to earlier models- I just need a little extra lift with better spring rates to compensate for the 34" tires. I don't expect to keep the stock flares because they look ridiculous, IMO, so a 1.5" lift and flat flares should be quite functional and look much better than a higher lift.

Walldog01

I run 35's and Nemesis guards, no lift yet, but will be using AEV high steer, Metalcloak control arms with Fox coil overs, set at 2.2" over standard and Full traction Watts link out the back to keep everything tidy

Just another way to do it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Not disconnected

Last edited:

daryn1979

Observer
I run 35's and Nemesis guards, no lift yet, but will be using AEV high steer, Metalcloak control arms with Fox coil overs, set at 2.2" over standard and Full traction Watts link out the back to keep everything tidy

Just another way to do it.

View attachment 232746

I'm still really digging those Nemesis flares, but still choking a bit on the $1100 price tag for front/rears! I've been toying around a bit with the idea of getting crafty with a heat gun on the stock flares to see what I can come up with as far as cutting the front of the fenders back and taking an inch off the sides. I figure the worst that could happen is that I screw it up and have to bite the bullet on the Nemesis or MCE flares!

Inline6

Adventurer
Before you bight on fenders, run without liners and see what lift you really need.

I have the nemisys fenders as well. Put them on after finally getting tird of the flimsy stock fenders rubbing the paint off.

Give yourself at least 2 months on the new fenders, things seem slow at nemisys.

Right now I have 37s with stock springs and a 1" spacer and bump stop addition up front. Stretched out about an inch in the rear and trimmed the pich...

Good luck.

fjatl

Adventurer
Right now I have 37s with stock springs and a 1" spacer and bump stop addition up front. Stretched out about an inch in the rear and trimmed the pich...

Good luck.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack. You were able to stuff 37's on stock springs?! Wow. I've continually been told 35's is the max with trimming...good stuff. Have you got a pic handy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger