'12 JKUR- First Expedition Build

LL247

Observer
Thanks- Slowly but surely, it's getting to where I want it to be.

Thanks! I'm still on the fence about the lights. I still need to aim them better this weekend- it's such a drastic change going from having almost no headlight power to having such a bright white light straight ahead of you. I'm self conscious when it comes to bright headlights because it's a pet peeve of mine when people drive around blinding oncoming traffic, and I don't want to be "that guy."

Next things on my list are to install a Cobra 75 WX-ST CB and Firestick as soon as my CoolTech dash mount comes in today. Then I'll need to find a good way to install yellow bulbs/lenses or HIDs for the factory fogs. I'm still researching the best way to do that, because when the snow starts falling here in MN, having super bright headlights with no yellow might be a serious pain while driving at night...

The yellow fogs sound like a good idea. Although Pittsburgh isn't as bad with snow, we live an hour from the mountains and find ourselves there quite often. CB install is my plans for tomorrow, had one in my 08 JKU and time for a transplant. Looking forward to you opinion on the lights...

daryn1979

Observer
Got around to installing the Cobra 75 CB over the weekend. Pretty straight forward install thanks to all the pictures online. I really like the Cooltech mount for the mic- there just isn't a good place to mount one in a JK. My original plan was to mount the clip to one of the center vent flaps so I could hide it when not in use. I think this works better.

(not my rig, but same thing)
JKVersaMount2_4_640x480.jpg

I'm glad I happened to have two new Firestiks in the closet- I quickly found that the 4' was far too long for daily driving, but the 2' was perfect. Now I just have to find a decent SWR meter so I can tune it- I wasn't getting very good reception in the interstate unless I was using the WX channel.

After adjusting the new headlights and spending some more time driving with them, I'm VERY happy with them. My night vision isn't what it used to be, especially in the rain, but I've noticed that the color these lights kick out makes the lines on the road look like they're glowing bright white or yellow, where before they were hardly visible at night. Now I want to turn my attention to installing yellow fogs in the factory location. I've looked at Nokya bulbs, yellow films, HID bulbs, and LEDs, but I'm not sure which direction I'd like to go. Have any of you switched over to yellow fogs? Any ideas?

Lastly, I contacted Don at Pixeldecals to see if he could design something a little different for the Rubicon decal on my hood. I'd been kicking the idea around in my head for a while, and he really made it look good! Not sure if I'll keep the North letter since it looks a little funny without the other cardinal directions. What do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78