12 V charge required for Camper running/directional/brake lights?

ATskier

I have a 2010 Panther camper on a 2006 Duramax. I was surprised to find the exterior camper running/directional/brake lights do not function when I pull the fuse on the (custom installed high guage from alternator) 12V charge line that feeds my 7 way charge pin on the bumper and my 7 way in the truck bed. Has anyone ever seen something like this? With charge line hot, all lights work as expected.

I ask because I was going to put an isolater on the 12 V charge line under the hood, but now it seems that may cut my running/directionals etc lighting on and off as the (smart) alternator decreases voltage at times.

simple

Adventurer
That's odd. I would think the lights would be on a separate circuit from the dedicated power wire. You should be able to do what you are planning and it would be worth going back through it. One thing to consider is that the 7way connecter probably isn't rated for very much amperage. I think it is for powering a trailer brake battery or other small loads. If you are charging camper batteries you might want to bypass the 7way.

ATskier

It sounds like the 7 pin receptacle is behind some kind of trailer light isolation/converter module what needs its operating power from the charging circuit.
Interesting and thanks. I figured it was something inside the camper, as the 7 way female connector on the bumper and in the truck bed tested out fine. There is a converter in the unit, but I am still surprised that the trailer light wiring inside the camper has anything to do with any kind of isolater/converter.

ATskier

Interesting and thanks. I figured it was something inside the camper, as the 7 way female connector on the bumper and in the truck bed tested out fine. There is a converter in the unit, but I am still surprised that the trailer light wiring inside the camper has anything to do with any kind of isolater/converter.
I'm not sure I ever tested the 7 way with the charge line fuse out. That will be my next step. pull fuse, unplug camper, and see if rear 7 way functions.

Alloy

To be compatible with every vehicle's light sensing tech the camper mfg may have install an isolating system.
I installed LEDs on our trailer which the computer in the truck didn't like so I use a "lamp out sensor bypass" adapter.

ATskier

I'm not sure I ever tested the 7 way with the charge line fuse out. That will be my next step. pull fuse, unplug camper, and see if rear 7 way functions.

To be compatible with every vehicle's light sensing tech the camper mfg may have install an isolating system.
I installed LEDs on our trailer which the computer in the truck didn't like so I use a "lamp out sensor bypass" adapter.
Thanks. I thought it might have something to do with the LED lights, but the wiring is not accessible, so I can't be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle