Any benefit to remote reservoir shocks?

Just wondering wondering if there's any benefit to running remote reservoir shocks over monotube shocks on an expedition style vehicle. If yes, does the additional cost of remote reservoir shocks outweigh the benefits of them?

Stroverlander

Adventurer
There are more than a few benefits, but the simple version is that the remote reservoir can contain a larger volume of oil which helps prevent the shock from overheating and allowing for more consistent damping.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Stroverlander beat me to it - all about preventing overheating. You can also run dual shocks so that each on is only doing half the work.

There are more than a few benefits, but the simple version is that the remote reservoir can contain a larger volume of oil which helps prevent the shock from overheating and allowing for more consistent damping.

Thanks for your reply. I understand what the purpose is and how they function, I just don't know if it's worth the added cost on an expedition style vehicle. If I were planning on some fairly high speeds over rough terrain I would definitely go with reservoir over monotube. I just don't know if it's worth it or even very useful for the style of driving used in expedition travel.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Additionally, remote reservoir shocks can allow you to get a long travel shock in a smaller space.
Tom
"Rough terrain" can mean a lot, washboard roads can generate a lot of heat on a shock. I once made the mistake of touching my shock after a 5 minute blast down a washboard road with ,modest whopdedoos. It was very hot. I suspect that keeping the shocks cool would also,help,prolong their life. If I were paying for high dollar shocks, I would put in the extra for the reservoirs. I really liked the 7100s on my last rig.
Tom
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Explorer
After you have been on a rough road at a pretty good clip you might start to feel the suspension get choppy with monotubes, if not, you probably don't need remote reservoir shocks.

If you start to notice choppy ride, stop and feel the shock body. If it could burn your hand its working too hard and the added expense of remotes might be worth it for performance and reliability.

It takes a pretty aggresive driving style, or a low quality shock to overheat.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thanks for your reply. I understand what the purpose is and how they function, I just don't know if it's worth the added cost on an expedition style vehicle. If I were planning on some fairly high speeds over rough terrain I would definitely go with reservoir over monotube. I just don't know if it's worth it or even very useful for the style of driving used in expedition travel.

All depends on the terrain - washboard can be hard on shocks at pretty much any speed. I had dual bilsteins on every corner on my 110 and that seemed to work pretty well and gave me some redundancy, but there are all kinds of advantages to going with remote reservoir as well.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounding like remote reservoir is the way to go. Any more info or personal experiences would be great to hear.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounding like remote reservoir is the way to go. Any more info or personal experiences would be great to hear.

I don't think you will find anyone who will tell you that monotubes are better. The decision to make is if the benefits outweigh the cost for your application.

I debated for quite a while on running external reservoir shocks on my 110 for a trip to South America. I ended up running OME monotubes and I never once thought about my shocks during the trip. They did their job very well even over washboard roads and very spirited driving through terrible terrain. I'm running monotube shocks on my Excursion right now which will see plenty of rutted and washboard roads in Northern New England and I'm not worried about them. If money were no object then I would certainly run externals, or even some triple bypass shocks for major bling factor. The truth is that for my application, the extra money would be better spent on fuel or lodging so that I could stay on the journey for as long as possible.

LR Max

Local Oaf
They are better. Kinda like how HD axle shafts are better.

That said, they really shine when you are doing baja style driving over rough terrain. If you aren't tackling dirt roads at 50 mph or doing sweet jumps or otherwise REALLY beating the crap out of your truck, the benefits are minimal.

Also you need to have them valved to get the most out of them. A local shop who understands can help you out a lot. However the guy driving around in the truck who does this for a living, yeah, he can set them up beautifully. That is when remote reservoir shocks with adjustable valving REALLY comes into play.

Oh and make sure the shocks are outboard. AKA, the bottom mounting is as close to the wheel as possible. If they are inboard they aren't going to do a lot for you.

So yeah, just depends on how much money you want to throw at it. However if you are in low range when off road or taking it easy on dirt roads and mostly driving on the street, just look for some decent shocks and if you want long travel, you can get them in 12". IMO, if you aren't running more than a 35" tire, its a waste of money. (I say this because if you are running 35" or more, that means you are going to be beating the soul of out of the vehicle and that is when high dollar items like this really come into play)

I'd say get a set of OME's and go.

I don't think you will find anyone who will tell you that monotubes are better. The decision to make is if the benefits outweigh the cost for your application.

I debated for quite a while on running external reservoir shocks on my 110 for a trip to South America. I ended up running OME monotubes and I never once thought about my shocks during the trip. They did their job very well even over washboard roads and very spirited driving through terrible terrain. I'm running monotube shocks on my Excursion right now which will see plenty of rutted and washboard roads in Northern New England and I'm not worried about them. If money were no object then I would certainly run externals, or even some triple bypass shocks for major bling factor. The truth is that for my application, the extra money would be better spent on fuel or lodging so that I could stay on the journey for as long as possible.

They are better. Kinda like how HD axle shafts are better.

That said, they really shine when you are doing baja style driving over rough terrain. If you aren't tackling dirt roads at 50 mph or doing sweet jumps or otherwise REALLY beating the crap out of your truck, the benefits are minimal.

Also you need to have them valved to get the most out of them. A local shop who understands can help you out a lot. However the guy driving around in the truck who does this for a living, yeah, he can set them up beautifully. That is when remote reservoir shocks with adjustable valving REALLY comes into play.

Oh and make sure the shocks are outboard. AKA, the bottom mounting is as close to the wheel as possible. If they are inboard they aren't going to do a lot for you.

So yeah, just depends on how much money you want to throw at it. However if you are in low range when off road or taking it easy on dirt roads and mostly driving on the street, just look for some decent shocks and if you want long travel, you can get them in 12". IMO, if you aren't running more than a 35" tire, its a waste of money. (I say this because if you are running 35" or more, that means you are going to be beating the soul of out of the vehicle and that is when high dollar items like this really come into play)

I'd say get a set of OME's and go.

Thanks to both of you, these are the types of answers I was looking to get. I do know that the reservoirs are better and the benefits they provide. I just wasn't sure if the benefits were worth the extra cost. I will be running a 35" tire, and have no plans on going bigger. More than a 35 doesn't seem needed or the benefits of anything larger don't really justify the extra cost needed to go bigger. OME'S have been recommended by other people too. If I choose OME I'm looking into the Nitro charger Sport shock, it has triple stage valving they say makes it comparable to a remote reservoir shock.

Fish

Adventurer
LR Max pointed out one of the important features of remote resi shocks. The ability to custom valve for your application. Yeah, monotubes are close, but what about when you add weight?

I can tell you that adding custom valved King 2.5's to my 2500 made a pretty big difference over the Bilstein 5100's. But is it worth the extra $$$? Well, it was to me... to you? I don't know.

ExpoMike

I installed Bilstein 5160 remote rev. shocks to help control the heat, given I am close to GVW all the time. I know I end up on a lot of wash board roads, which will really heat up shocks. Though it was a much higher cost, I have not once regreted it out on the trails. If I was only doing paved roads, they would be way overkill but I have travelled 20-30 miles of non stop wash boards, at speeds in the 45-50mph range and it just float across them like nothing. Makes for a great ride and absolutely no fade and still ready for me.

You really need to look at what you are using your rig for and buy appropriately. Saving a few hundred now only to replace them in the near future doesn't make sense. These 5160's will be the last shock I buy for this truck.

LR Max

Local Oaf
LR Max pointed out one of the important features of remote resi shocks. The ability to custom valve for your application. Yeah, monotubes are close, but what about when you add weight?

I can tell you that adding custom valved King 2.5's to my 2500 made a pretty big difference over the Bilstein 5100's. But is it worth the extra $$$? Well, it was to me... to you? I don't know.

True. I never thought about that. The custom valving would be good in a full size, heavy truck. Better than installing two shocks. I was just thinking back to my rock crawler days when everything was about getting the most out of your suspension.

Clutch

<---Pass
Higher performance & adjustably is the main thing. Fox now has adjustable reservoirs...want a plusher street ride, back off the compression dampening...want a better off road and sportier ride, dial it up. As we say in the dirt bike world, if you're going to spend money on anything, spend it on suspension.

fox-25-fs-dsc-1.jpg

A secondary by-pass does wonders too! can really fine tune it to fit your style...better performing suspension does wonders for driver fatigue, worth every dollar..

2013-Tacoma-4x4-Prerunner-TOTAL-CHAOS_upper-control-arms-010-1000.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior