12v Cooler power draw and recommendations?

oguruma

I haven't really been able to get a straightforward answer on the power draw for a 12v cooler.

I'm looking at something like an Iceco VL60ProS (though I am open to alternatives).

I'm trying to figure out the power draw I can expect given a high ambient temperature of 90 degrees or so.

I'm hoping to add a second "house" battery to my truck that will power the cooler for the duration of the trip (without having to rely on solar).

jadmt

ignore button user
I have an ARB 50 and it will run off starter battery for a couple of days with no issues and now I run it off a jackery 1000 and it will run for 4 days with no charging.

dstefan

Check the specs for any unit you are interested in. Good fridges are real efficient. My ARB 50qt is rated for 7amps and Ive never seen it draw that much. Seems to draw around 4 while running. I’ve never drawn my 100 ah Lifepo battery down to even 80% while running the fridge, vent fan, camper lights, charging, etc. I do tend to move every day and I charge from a DCDC via the starting battery, but when stationary its fine with some minor top off with portable solar, which I rarely need.

I could easily be doing fine with just a 50ah battery. As long as you‘re not trying to run all sorts of 120v high draw stuff off an inverter all the time you’ll be fine.

TavisB

Iceco JP30 I'm testing out right now to see if I have enough battery on my homemade "solar generator".

325142af1038011543e1ab8bdf63bad9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

CMARJEEP

Observer
I have an ARB 50 and it will run off starter battery for a couple of days with no issues and now I run it off a jackery 1000 and it will run for 4 days with no charging.

This is pretty much my experience with a Dometic 37. I can run it off my starting battery (Batteries Plus X2) for a couple days and have never had a problem with a dead battery. Last year I got a small 50w folding solar panel and Victron charge controller and can pretty much run infinitely.

TNRonin

I picked up an inexpensive ($211) 45qt astroAI. The plan is for me or my daughter to use it car camping. I figured she could do as discussed above. She has a 2022 bronco big bend so I figured/hoped her battery would handle it. Then I started second guessing it.

The fridge arrived and I've been running it. I just ran it on a jump battery (Schumacher 18mah) for 13hrs starting 82% down to 42% on eco. Why am I telling you this? I'm just reinforcing what's already been said. I have a bluetti EB3A coming in Saturday. I should be good coupled with the 120w panels.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

dstefan

Check the specs for any unit you are interested in. Good fridges are real efficient. My ARB 50qt is rated for 7amps and Ive never seen it draw that much. Seems to draw around 4 while running. I’ve never drawn my 100 ah Lifepo battery down to even 80% while running the fridge, vent fan, camper lights, charging, etc. I do tend to move every day and I charge from a DCDC via the starting battery, but when stationary its fine with some minor top off with portable solar, which I rarely need.

I could easily be doing fine with just a 50ah battery. As long as you‘re not trying to run all sorts of 120v high draw stuff off an inverter all the time you’ll be fine.
To update this:
Just ran my ARB 50 for 5 days, 4 nites without charging. Here’s the details:
- Battleborn 100 ah battery run down to 36%; shunt said I used 69 ahs
- Temps were low 60s at night to high 70s, maybe 80 daytime
- Fridge is in an ARB insulated cover, and I’ve also lined the cover inside with reflectix. Its in my campser shell, but open to outside air much of the day, but also closed up for hours at a time in the sun. No direct sun on fridge
- open at breakfast, lunch, dinner and happy hour, but we typically aren’t in it all the time for drinks all day
- temp set at 35° with range of 32 to 38 as it cycles, we typically put 2 to 3 warm beers in daily to cool
- shunt shows fridge took 3.8 amps consistently as it runs. Best guess is it ran maybe 15x per day for maybe 5 mins, but wasn’t counting
- also running Maxair fan all night on low (.3 amp), when cooking and other times medium to med-hi (.8 to 1.5 amps) daily
- charging 2 phones, an iPad, 2 Kindles, running a small 12v heating pad for 2 hrs, running a few small draw (< 2 amps) other devices for maybe 2 hrs total

Hope that helps! YMMV …

TNRonin

I'm testing my setup as well. Nothing truly real world, but a data point nonetheless.

astroAI 46qt
ELECAENTA 120w panel
Bluetti EB3A

In house with mean temp around 73°f cooled to 40°. Drinks for ballast. Ran for 15 hrs to stimulate overnight with the intent to charge by pv during day. In that time battery % dropped to 38%. I don't know if that is good or not for a 260wh station, but it did what I needed, and intended use will be in the fall when cooler in the evenings. On pv panels (and this is what impressed me), 67w from the panel just sitting on the deck couch, the charge increased 22% in ONE hour!!

What I'm looking at is whether the charge will rebound to X amount in a short time. Pv currently pumping 70w! I would love a larger power station, but you know, money.

Total time to get to 100%, 3hrs. Max pv 74.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TavisB

This was where I ended my experiment. Battery was at 12v (50%, the min I want to drain this SLA)

153Wh for 27 hours. Not too bad. I can run 50-100W of solar so it may be doable.

78ish degree basement. Fridge empty and I opened it every so often to simulate accessing items.
8b6d17880bd03b03b0fee4b3d86a05f9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online