12V electrical minimum requirements

PINSTER

Observer
Looking for some guidance from you guys that run 12v systems in your trailers.

Im in the planning stages of a trailer, and trying to eliminate as much extra weight as possible. My electrical requirements will be pretty low, Id need enough juice to run a water pump (20 gallons) and to power a LED spotlight occasionally.

I have no experience with electrical/batteries/etc. So any pointers on what I need to start researching and parts to start compiling will help. I assume a battery and a marine type fuse panel...am I missing something?

drgrenthum

I recommend regardless of what you determine your amp draw to be. Go a couple of gauges bigger on the wire. On a trailer you will not be using that many feet of wire, as to worry about significant weight. However, load requirements change and its nice to be able to switch out a terminal or outlet and use the same wire instead of having to run more.

Also remember you do not want to run ur battery dead. Depending on the type of battery no more that 50%, though based on your requirement most any automotive battery sounds like it will work. You could go smaller but it is nice to have another battery to crank your vechile if necessary.

PINSTER

Observer
Yeah, I happen to have a bunch of wire in all sizes, left overs from a recent move/construction at work. Read through HandyBob yesterday, and really got me wanting solar....but that'll be another project for another day. FGot some homework to do to figure out what I really want/need.

Thanks for the tips

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle