12v GE Fridge - inconsistent temps, frost buildup

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I've got a GE GPV10FSNSB 12v, compressor fridge in my travel trailer. It has a single temperature control with a few settings, including "off", "cool", "cold", and "coldest."

On the "cold" setting I encountered this after two days of camping:

JxB4CRq.jpeg

At this point interior refrigerator temperature was +9C (way too hot), and the freezer was at -20C (way too cold).

Countless fridge reviews mention & show the same problems, but no solutions. GE customer service (online) recommends not opening the door too frequently (LOL!) and ensuring there's a good seal all around. Any other things to be aware of? Could this be an issue with air gaps/venting around the fridge? Any specific fridge components?

86scotty

Cynic
12v fridges are not frost free and most do not regulate temperature well. All of the freezers have to be defrosted on occasion or they will simply fill up with frost. Freezing certain things and keeping others too warm is something I've gotten quite used to in years fooling with them. Certain places in every fridge I've had, and that's several, are better for ice cold drinks and certain spots are not, same for vegetables. Usually high and on the back wall will ruin lettuce in no time. I keep it towards the front door on the middle shelf, where it's always warmer.

My problems mostly went away when I put a computer fan in my fridge. It regulates temps very well. It is not easy to get a hole in a fridge case for a wire unless you just carelessly drill one but I managed to get one through the fridge light wiring hole and it worked for me. This was a Truckfridge. I know nothing about GE 12v fridges except as of now I know they make one.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
12v fridges are not frost free and most do not regulate temperature well. All of the freezers have to be defrosted on occasion or they will simply fill up with frost. Freezing certain things and keeping others too warm is something I've gotten quite used to in years fooling with them. Certain places in every fridge I've had, and that's several, are better for ice cold drinks and certain spots are not, same for vegetables. Usually high and on the back wall will ruin lettuce in no time. I keep it towards the front door on the middle shelf, where it's always warmer.

My problems mostly went away when I put a computer fan in my fridge. It regulates temps very well. It is not easy to get a hole in a fridge case for a wire unless you just carelessly drill one but I managed to get one through the fridge light wiring hole and it worked for me. This was a Truckfridge. I know nothing about GE 12v fridges except as of now I know they make one.

Interesting you mention a 12v fan - that's one of the ideas I had. I might put in a portable, battery-powered fan to begin with and see if that makes any difference. The similar units from Dometic seem to have proper fans/ventilation in them, but my GE has nothing at all.

My fridge does have an internal light, and I wonder whether I can simply tap circuit for a fan, without having to run a dedicated power line. Although I suppose the light will likely turn off when the fridge door closes - easy enough to check.

I just ordered a Gun Safe Dehumidifier, which I'm planning to place in the fridge to see whether it'll help with passively absorbing moisture and keeping the frost down.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I don’t have the camper anymore, but I had the exact same problem with a very similar fridge. Here was my solution if you are interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That fridge is suspiciously similar in many ways! My gut tells me there's some rebranding going on one way or the other.

A fan inside and another in the cabinet is more or less what I'm leaning towards at this point. Although I think I'd skip the dedicated fan switch and look for a way to have them powered whenever the fridge is running, but that's not too important...

I also really like those metal shelves you put in - what a great idea! On the last camping trip I was super paranoid about having my fridge goods bounce and break the glass shelving. I'll have to look for similar shelves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears