12v High output USB charger

CMARJEEP

Observer
Does anyone know of any high output USB chargers that can be direct wired to a 12v battery? I’m looking for something I can charge a laptop from so I don’t have to worry about using an inverter. I haven’t found much besides the one below from Powerwerx. A lot of stuff out there can only hit peak output if it’s being fed by 20+ volts.

VanWaLife

I do not have an answer to your question, just sharing my solution to the same problem, which is to use the Milwaukee Top-Off power supply. Somewhat more versatile than a wired charger since you can charge away from the truck. But you will also need M18 batteries and a M18 car charger for a complete solution. Other power tool manufacturers probably offer comparable inverter power supplies.

CMARJEEP

Observer
I do not have an answer to your question, just sharing my solution to the same problem, which is to use the Milwaukee Top-Off power supply. Somewhat more versatile than a wired charger since you can charge away from the truck. But you will also need M18 batteries and a M18 car charger for a complete solution. Other power tool manufacturers probably offer comparable inverter power supplies.
Thanks. I guess I should have also mentioned it is for my homemade battery box. I have a USB C port on it but it only puts out around 20-30w which isn’t enough for my laptop.

The Milwaukee thing is cool but also only puts out 45w on USB C which probably wouldn’t be able to keep up with my laptop.

CMARJEEP

Observer
I’m using USB-C power modules from Coolgear.

They make a number of different models, that are perfect for MacBooks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1 cool gear. max output 100w @ 12v. is that enough? powers my macbook air and 14 pro at full speed. https://www.coolgear.com/product/chargeit-100-watt-usb-type-c-charger

Thanks this is what I was looking for. These are similar to the Powerwerx module but cheaper and have more output.

kbroderick

works for me; I haven't done a long-enough test with my MacBook Pro to see how long it would take to charge, but with a DeWalt USB-C-to-20V adapter plugged in, I was able to charge the DeWalt batteries faster than a 4A charger on an inverter (and anything faster than the 4A charger makes the Ford-provided inverter in my F-150 flip me off and shut down).

CMARJEEP

Observer
works for me; I haven't done a long-enough test with my MacBook Pro to see how long it would take to charge, but with a DeWalt USB-C-to-20V adapter plugged in, I was able to charge the DeWalt batteries faster than a 4A charger on an inverter (and anything faster than the 4A charger makes the Ford-provided inverter in my F-150 flip me off and shut down).

I think the forum removes Amazon links.

But I found a 1 1/8” panel mount USB C and A 12v charger on Amazon that apparently puts out 65w from the USB C port. This form factor will work better for me even though it doesn’t put out quite as much power as the Coolgear unit. It’s coming tomorrow so I’ll have to see if it actually puts out 65w at 12v.

CMARJEEP

Observer
Got the new charger today. Plugged my MacBook Air into it and it was pulling 48w and charging at full speed. Haven’t tested my work laptop yet or know if it will provide the full listed 65w. But it does charge laptops just fine it seems.

Edit: Dell work laptop was pulling up to 58w when I was testing it and was charging at full speed. So far impressed with this charger.

OUFFUN 65W PD USB-C Car Charger and 18W QC3.0 Outlet​

Last edited:

kbroderick

I think the forum removes Amazon links.

But I found a 1 1/8” panel mount USB C and A 12v charger on Amazon that apparently puts out 65w from the USB C port. This form factor will work better for me even though it doesn’t put out quite as much power as the Coolgear unit. It’s coming tomorrow so I’ll have to see if it actually puts out 65w at 12v.
The one I got is product B08MQ7HMPY and the title is "HKY PD 100W 96W 90W 87W 70W 67W 61W USB C Laptop Car Charger DC 12V-24V Travel Adapter for 2022 2021 MacBook Pro 16"15"14",Mac Air 13",Surface Pro 9 8/Book 3 2,Lenovo Thankpad Yoga,Dell XPS Latitude". Gotta love search-optimized titles (yuck).

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to add a panel-mount charge port up front. There are times where it would be nice to have, but I'd probably have to wire in a proper on/off switch so I don't add yet another parasitic drain to my truck.

CMARJEEP

Observer
The one I got is product B08MQ7HMPY and the title is "HKY PD 100W 96W 90W 87W 70W 67W 61W USB C Laptop Car Charger DC 12V-24V Travel Adapter for 2022 2021 MacBook Pro 16"15"14",Mac Air 13",Surface Pro 9 8/Book 3 2,Lenovo Thankpad Yoga,Dell XPS Latitude". Gotta love search-optimized titles (yuck).

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to add a panel-mount charge port up front. There are times where it would be nice to have, but I'd probably have to wire in a proper on/off switch so I don't add yet another parasitic drain to my truck.
The one I got has a small button to turn it on and off. Even with it on and nothing plugged in my Victron shunt doesn’t measure any current draw, although I’m sure there is a very small amount.

sbl23

Does anyone know of any high output USB chargers that can be direct wired to a 12v battery? I’m looking for something I can charge a laptop from so I don’t have to worry about using an inverter. I haven’t found much besides the one below from Powerwerx. A lot of stuff out there can only hit peak output if it’s being fed by 20+ volts.
I have been using two of the Powerwerx units in my truck for the past 6 months with no issue. My use case was primarily the same as yours. I wanted the ability to charge my MacBook Pro natively from 12v. I am interested in hearing reviews on the CoolGear 100w unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears