Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to have him send some more photos tomorrow, including a full side profile picture so I can make sure its not just the angle making it look low. Its also a single rear wheel, instead of a dually, which is different than any other F450 ambulance I have seen. So build information on it would be good to have all around.

Previous owner was a roofing company huh? I'm afraid to even ask what the inside looks like... :eek:

Previous owner was a roofing company huh? I'm afraid to even ask what the inside looks like... :eek:

00G0G_ao3GYt8kc5O_600x450.jpg

Seller says theres no alterations to the interior. Wiring is all intact and functioning. Hopefully the fact that its been used as tool storage hasnt caused any irreparable damage. Its a great price for a 7.3 diesel 4x4, so Im hoping it checks out well. Unfortunately its halfway across the country from me, so going out to see it will be a gamble.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Maybe, you will get lucky. As long as it was just used to carry tools and not materials, you may be OK.

The wiring can be a bear to figure out sometimes, especially if someone who doesn't know what they're doing or how ambulance systems operate, has been screwing with it.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck. I hope it works out for you!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to have him send some more photos tomorrow, including a full side profile picture so I can make sure its not just the angle making it look low. Its also a single rear wheel, instead of a dually, which is different than any other F450 ambulance I have seen. So build information on it would be good to have all around.

It has Dually rims front and rear... I'd say it's a dually that's missing two wheels (rather than SRW).

Rear spring packs are either toast or airbags don't have pressure in them (can't tell why). Air bags themselves are cheap... springs about 1K for aftermarket... 2K for Ford springs (up here at least).

Is there anyone closer who could give it a once over? More Pics? Listen to it run?

rlrenz

Explorer
If it is equipped with an air bag suspension, the air bag pressure may be low. Generally, with an air bag suspension, the bags are supplied either from a truck engine driven compressor, or from a small 12 volt compressor.

Phew! That's quite a trip, Michigan to Alaska.

It definitely is, but it's a beautiful drive. And the premium you pay on 4x4, and the scarcity of any clean rigs, makes buying in the lower 48 worth it in a lot of scenarios.

Thanks for all the information provided.

EDIT: Spoke with the actual seller, instead of his friend. It is a dually, all wheels are present. The rear suspension is riding low because the check valves have a leak in them. The compressor will inflate the bags when the truck is running.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
EDIT: Spoke with the actual seller, instead of his friend. It is a dually, all wheels are present. The rear suspension is riding low because the check valves have a leak in them. The compressor will inflate the bags when the truck is running.

Well, that is certainly good news! thumbsup.gif

17618998_794034470746138_1915523846_n.jpg

Today, my wife said to me "I love you, but sometimes I dont love your decisions." That sounds about right.

Im now the proud owner of a 2001 F450 4X4 Ambulance. Thanks for all the help and info folks. Ill be starting a slow build thread in the near future.

patoz

Expedition Leader
That is a great looking rig, and you've got a very nice base to work with.

Once you remove the lettering and their log, the strips is something you can work with if you just wanted to add your own log, etc.

Having OEM 4WD is great and it puts you way ahead of the game, both money and time wise. Is that a winch I see peaking out from under the front bumper?

Bane Harper

Observer
Awesome! I think we're going for a similar build, so I'll be following this. I want it to look slick, so I'm trying to figure out if I can find some tubing that slides into the existing where the stock bars mounted. But I'm not sure if those are strong enough to support a rack and tent on their own. And after reading your thread, I think I have to look into budget option too...

rlrenz

Explorer
Awesome! I think we're going for a similar build, so I'll be following this. I want it to look slick, so I'm trying to figure out if I can find some tubing that slides into the existing where the stock bars mounted. But I'm not sure if those are strong enough to support a rack and tent on their own. And after reading your thread, I think I have to look into budget option too...

The light bar mounting brackets that are on the front of the module (the ambulance portion) are designed to hold a 10-20# light bar. They are normally fastened to the module with four 5/16" bolts on each bracket that generally go through a heavier section in the module's front wall, often about a piece of 3/8 x 4" aluminum. If they don't line up with a heavier section, they then wind up with fender washers or similar on the inside of the front wall of the module.

You may be able to combine the existing mounting brackets with a support from the cab drip rail to support a cargo carrier, but don't try to do it all with just the light bar brackets.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
17618998_794034470746138_1915523846_n.jpg

Today, my wife said to me "I love you, but sometimes I dont love your decisions." That sounds about right.

Im now the proud owner of a 2001 F450 4X4 Ambulance. Thanks for all the help and info folks. Ill be starting a slow build thread in the near future.

I've heard similar from my wife... oddly enough the Ambo was something she was behind 100%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior