1994 Fzj80 Expedition Build

sslanina

Observer
Box Build

So after being disgusted by how expensive a simple storage drawer system from ARB was, I decided to make my own. Mainly out of principle that I will not spend $1700 on drawers. I drew up a quick design and will probably run with it. I want to keep it cheap and simple, while maintaining a solid strong storage solution. I will weld up a steel cage and get it powder coated. Then use 2 heavy duty lockable drawer slides (Bought from www.mcmaster.com) mounted to the sides of the steel frame. The rest I will probably make out of 1/2" and 3/4" MDF board. Its easy to work with and strong. Add a few handles and carpet and call it good. Here is the general design. The top board will obviously be cut out to the contour of the truck.

ISO Open.JPGISO.JPG

sslanina

Observer
Coolant System

Spent the weekend replacing all heater and coolant hoses, new thermostat and coolant flush. The PHH was definitely the most time consuming. I removed the starter, transmission dipstick and the heater tube connected to the PHH. Once the tube was removed (held on with two 12mm bolts) I was able to slip on the new PHH and re install. I used Constant Torque Clamps on all replaced OEM hoses. Really neat clamps, but expensive. Flushed the system with distilled water and filled up with toyota red coolant.
IMG_1075.JPGIMG_1074.JPG
I have also made some progress on my drawer system for the back of the truck. Frame is welded and powder coated, and drawer is assembled. Just have to integrate in truck and add plywood. Then cover with carpet. I will get photos when completed.

sslanina

Observer
Radiator Fail

Took another trip up to flagstaff a few weeks ago to go play in the snow and the radiator sprung a massive leak. The bottom plastic tank cracked, and left me stranded in Flagstaff. The engine temps jumped up extremely quickly with no coolant, so in order to get to Enterprise Rent-a-Car I had to pack the engine compartment with snow and take breaks along the way. The 5 mile journey probably took me close to an hour in the snow storm. I guess I had it coming, since i just replaced most of my cooling system, except the after market radiator that was previously installed. Anyway, I ordered up a new 94 radiator from C Dan and had it installed in about 3 hours. I took a quick look at radiator install thread and they were more complicated than they needed to me. Many people are removing headlights, but the only necessary thing to remove was the battery and tray. You can access the two top bolts behind the evaporator with swivel sockets. Also, make sure to check your transmission fluid level afterwards, mine was fine.

sslanina

Observer
Drawer System Overview

This is one of those projects you look at and think it will be a simple drawer install, no biggie...haha. About 1.5 months later I'm 80% done. I decided to build a steel cage to house the single drawer in. This way in 5 years when the wood needs replacing i can just order another wood drawer (I used http://www.drawerdepot.com/). Here is the raw steel frame and the 40" slides installed (Girlfriend was helping:ylsmoke:):

IMG_1063.jpg

Here is the wood drawer I ordered installed. The box was made of birch with dovetail corners.

IMG_1080.jpgIMG_1081.JPG

I picked up some 3/4" birch plywood and cut out the contour of the truck. I'm thinking about using some piano hinges on the two small wood end pieces; that way I can utilize the space behind the wheel wells. The dark wood (Cherry) will be the drawer face. I will try and seal the wood sometime this week, and then upholster the birch with marine grade carpet.

IMG_1108.JPGIMG_1106.JPGIMG_1107.JPG

sslanina

Observer
Thank you Corey. Hopefully Ill have a roof rack installed and the drawer finished in time for Overland Expo WEST. We will have to meet up and do a backpacking trip for sure!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
hahah, I need a permanent water storage system now...Dishes and showers will be easy! I'm thinking about puting a water tank and pump where the spare tire goes.

You seen the Front Runner ones that go across the rear seat footwell? I think they work in an 80. Spare tire location is a good location for a tank too.

Cheers

sslanina

Observer
You seen the Front Runner ones that go across the rear seat footwell? I think they work in an 80. Spare tire location is a good location for a tank too.

Cheers

I haven't, Just looked it up though. I think for my 80 it would make sitting in the back fairly uncomfortable for adults. But I will have to stop by Sierra Expeditions and test fit one, I like the location. Excellent idea. Thanks!

Burley

Adventurer
Awesome drawer system! It looks really well thought out. I'm curious what drawer slides you went with? The McMaster-Carr website has so many different options. Also any idea what you have into for price total?

sslanina

Observer
Awesome drawer system! It looks really well thought out. I'm curious what drawer slides you went with? The McMaster-Carr website has so many different options. Also any idea what you have into for price total?

Thank you, I'm happy with them. Drawer slides are High Capacity 40" Slides (6603A56). The pair has a rating of 440 lbs and one slide comes with a locking mechanism. Unfortunately the price was higher than I initially estimated, probably in the ball park of $750 for all the material (Baltic Birch wood, Steel with powder coating, Hardware, Slides, and Carpet)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz