Argonzero's 04 Double Cab Buildup

Arivalsend

Adventurer
Great build

I am sure you are sick of hearing this but great writeup and build information. It was fun to read and I really like the layout of your rig. Keeping that tent low and still having a rear rack setup is great and something that I would make a prereq for my own Tacoma. I loved the metal work on that rear rack and I am surfing the JC Witney site now for a tank. Great info and very cool build.:luxhello:

phatman

Observer
i have a couple questions. first off how well does that tonneau keep out rain, and dust now that youve cut for the rack? and second could you give me more info on the sliders you used for the cooking table?

btw your truck is one of the nicest i've see.

aheiser

Observer
Awesome!

Great looking truck! Having an '04 DC Taco myself, this gets me really excited to start building it up.

Quick question, I see in your build list you have 33" BFG's. What exact size are they? 285's? Looks like the exact size I'd like to run!

CYi5

Explorer
aheiser said:
Great looking truck! Having an '04 DC Taco myself, this gets me really excited to start building it up.

Quick question, I see in your build list you have 33" BFG's. What exact size are they? 285's? Looks like the exact size I'd like to run!

285/75/16 on stock 16x7's with 1 1/16" spacers I believe. The tires also fit w/o spacers just fyi.

aheiser

Observer
CYi5 said:
285/75/16 on stock 16x7's with 1 1/16" spacers I believe. The tires also fit w/o spacers just fyi.

Great thanks! I'm assuming that either that was a very good guess or that perhaps your Tacoma was the other one included in a couple of the pics with Argonzero's? Maybe the one with the Tan CanBack?

aheiser

Observer
CYi5 said:
Yea, he's my friend, haha.

Very cool! BTW quick question for both of you as you're running the 33's. How bad did the stock gearing feel after the new tires? Did either of you end up re-gearing?

CYi5

Explorer
I ran my 255/85's on stock gears for awhile. It did fine around town with the 5spd V6, but really suffered at highway speeds. Hills ended up being a joke and required major downshifting.

I ended up regearing to 4.56 later on and it does highway speeds like stock now. I thought about going 4.88's and sometimes wish I had them for big hills, but it is pretty apparent that I would be going over 3k RPM's frequently while going 70+mph. I also didn't want to be toasting my clutch trying to climb obstacles with the stock 4.10's.

Argon is still 4.10's, but he's also an auto so it doesn't seem to hamper him much.

argonzero

The tires are 285s and are on AOR steel spacers at the moment. If you guys remember AOR, they were the only company I had found to machine steel spacers. Without the spacers on stock 16x7 rim, it rarely rubbed. With the spacers, the rubbing is bad but tolerable. I really do need a re-gear; my acceleration suffered quite a bit with the extra weight and larger tires, that is somewhat offset by the supercharger and the 7th injector, but of course gas mileage suffers if I want to go anywhere fast or up a hill. In the city, I'm down to 12 miles per gallon easily if I try to drive it like it was stock. Up large hills, I use a lot of boost and mainly drive with overdrive off / ETC power on.

On the other side, having the torque from the supercharger and higher gearing gives me fantastic gas mileage on relatively flat roads. Not a very strong analogy, but its like a v8 idling at 2500 RPMs at 80 mph. I get 18-19 mpg on flat highways. A re-gear is definitely in the plans.

Phatman, the tonneau does not keep rain or snow out indefinitely. Each post that the rack is connected to required a square flap to be cut out. In addition, when I installed the gas lift springs there was two additional 1 foot slits I had to cut. While it does a good job of keeping the water out, a small amount of water does get in. Without holes cut into the tonneau, it keeps rain out well though dust always gets in somehow. I only keep items which have a bag or box inside the truck bed because of the water and dust permeability. I was thinking of velcro sewed at all the flaps and slits, but again that will only reduce the amount of water into the bed. It doesn't concern me too much since it doesn't rain much down here.

It would be neat to see someone using a hard tonneau to mount their tent on top of that, though I'm not sure I trust the fiber glass ones alone to support the weight of the tent. It would be much easier then to un-snap a fabric tonneau.

aheiser

Observer
argonzero said:
The tires are 285s and are on AOR steel spacers at the moment. If you guys remember AOR, they were the only company I had found to machine steel spacers. Without the spacers on stock 16x7 rim, it rarely rubbed. With the spacers, the rubbing is bad but tolerable. I really do need a re-gear; my acceleration suffered quite a bit with the extra weight and larger tires, that is somewhat offset by the supercharger and the 7th injector, but of course gas mileage suffers if I want to go anywhere fast or up a hill. In the city, I'm down to 12 miles per gallon easily if I try to drive it like it was stock. Up large hills, I use a lot of boost and mainly drive with overdrive off / ETC power on.

On the other side, having the torque from the supercharger and higher gearing gives me fantastic gas mileage on relatively flat roads. Not a very strong analogy, but its like a v8 idling at 2500 RPMs at 80 mph. I get 18-19 mpg on flat highways. A re-gear is definitely in the plans.

Thanks for the great info! BTW, did you choose to run a spacer kit then just for aesthetic purposes? Obviously not for clearance issues?

phatman

Observer
i've been thinking of useing a Dimondback cover. i don't know how water/dust proof it would be, but i also want to take my quad with me. i wouldn't be able to mount a RTT to it because of the way it works.

i have thought about taking a hard cover and adding alluminium bracing to it, but it would take me more time than i have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior