Argonzero's 04 Double Cab Buildup

argonzero

Hello Everyone,

First off, I'd like to say thanks to this community and the countless ideas they have shared on this board. I was attracted to this board because of the natural progression from "off-roading" for off-roading's sake, and actually utilizing my vehicle see and enjoy sights otherwise unreachable. From the wealth of information I’ve found here, and a bit from the rest of the internet I’d like to share what how my buildup went and my main objectives.

This is a huge write up so do like I do, don’t read anything until an interesting picture comes up and you want to know more.

The Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

The Tacoma double cab I believe is one of the best vehicles to have for an excursion. For me, it has the perfect balance of off-road ability and carrying capacity. Jeeps are too small, and though off-road trailers are amazing, I would hate to have to pull one. The Tacoma double cab has ample room in the cab for items I don’t want dust on, or things I need to be secured. The bed is quite small, but for my application it works perfectly with room to spare.

33.jpg

Here she is in the obligatory fresh off the showroom picture

Off-Road Capability and Performance Modifications

Since everyone here has a pretty good understanding off the suspension modifications I’ll just list the ones I have on my truck:

-TRD supercharger with 7th injector and piggy-back ECU
-DR front coilovers with Camburg Upper Control Arms
-DR rear reservoir shocks with EVS bump-stops on the shaft
-Deaver 10 leaf pack
-4.5 Polyurethane bump-stops on custom mounts
-Demello rear hybrid bumper (wrinkle powder coated)
-Demello sliders (wrinkle powder coated)
-All-pro front bumper with skid (wrinkle powder coated)
-33” BFG ATs
-Hayden Transmission Cooler
-Tundra brake upgrade

34.jpg

Comparison of stock (top) rotor vs the Tundra’s (bottom). This is possibly the single best investment on the vehicle. About 250 dollars total.

35.jpg

I went with the older year 199mm Tundra calipers since I was unsure at the time if the bigger 231mm ones were going to fit. At the time I had tried it, no one had a real definitive answer of if the Tundra brakes would work at all with a 16 inch wheel so I did not want to take the chance with the larger caliper.

13.jpg

9000 lb T-Max recovery winch. A good picture of front IFS flex also… as good as it gets anways.

So with that, onto the expedition gear!

My objective in building an expedition vehicle was to go as far as I could, as long as I could… Simple enough. The limitation on going as far as I could would be the vehicle that carried me. Since the Tacoma is such a great off-roading vehicle, I knew I had that base covered. The long as I could is a much bigger challenge.

After a few days camping, I tend to get a little weary of setting up and breaking camp. So while the supplies don’t limit my trips, the comfort level does. For a while I was considering an RV, trailer, or one of these new “off-road” pop up trailers. With a trailer, it’s certain that I would have had to drop off my trailer somewhere and pick it up at the end of the trip or trail. In the end, I couldn’t bring myself to buy something that would hold me back on the trail, or hinder my exploration experience. My only option was to build a expedition vehicle.

Shelf and Rack System

The goal of my rack system was to:
-Be able to mount a roof-top-tent as low as possible to keep weight down and to reduce wind resistance
-Compartmentalize the bed into usable,
-Be able to access the space below the tent
-Securely hold a water tank, propane tank, and secondary battery
-Have a large slide out table with affixed stove
-To have everything ready at a moments notice, and
-Not put any new holes into the bed

My first choice would have been to purchase a Can-Back to mount my tent, but since that’s not an option I started building my own solution.

26.jpg

I welded the frame up with some lightweight metal (light gauge to be more accurate) and used some slides left over at work.

32.jpg

The entire rack sits snug into the bed. The front of the rack frame holds my water tank snugly. To reduce abrasion the bottom and sides of the of the tank is carpeted, and the metal surfaces of the rack is also.

9.jpg

Rather then going with wood or metal, I consulted my local plastic shop and they recommended me some marine grade HDPE board. Same HDPE except with a UV coating and a texture on the surface. I went with 3/8’s inch because I was afraid it would not be sturdy. My goal was to hold approximately 25 pounds per side, they eventually held the weight of two grown men. I would recommend ¼ or possibly smaller. You can see the rear of the rack system is held down by a ratchet strap onto the stock bed hook.

8.jpg

Two vertical bars make a mounting point for my propane tank. Here is a standard tank, but ideally a 5lb tank should be there.

31.jpg

The rack has two mounts in the back which I use a bolt with a cotter pin to secure. This gives me the ability to lift the rack in order to access the area inside. The front of the rack is held in place by brackets which are held onto place by the stock bed hook holes. The front are nylon nuts which are held in place securely. The new editions are the hi-lift and shovel mounts on the side.

16.jpg

Until recently, I had to manually lift the upper portion of the rack then held it up with a metal stick. It didn’t work very well, and no one would dare put their hand into take anything out. The total weight at one side of the lifting rack was 85 lbs, and you had to hold it at a strange angle. To resolve the problem, I installed two 80 lb gas springs which I luckily found for a decent price. The entire top with rack, tent, shovel, and hi-lift jack is approximately 160-180 lbs. Once a single gas spring was installed, the rack held it self up. With both installed, it automatically lifts.

Last edited:

argonzero

18.jpg

Since its usually just me and my girlfriend in the truck, I decided to build a moderate shelf system. This holds two small containers and two large ones inside. They are mounted onto metal brackets I build which hold the shelf and refrigerator at the same level, allowing me to store longer items in the space underneath.

19.jpg

The top of the shelf which is very handy and holding small items. My plan is to put hooks and loops on the edge and find some sort of netting for even more security.

Electrical

For my electrical I decided on a dual battery system with a 115 amp battery and a diode type isolator. I would ideally go for a power-gate device but that’s much more then what I am willing to pay. The alternator I hear can somewhat compensate for low voltages if it senses correctly, and I replaced my alternator with one that carries a lifetime warranty so I should be good.

28.jpg

The starter battery is a Optima Yellow Top with a custom mounting bracket that I made. After seeing and hearing of Optima batteries rolling, sliding, and even falling into the engine I did not want to take a chance.

29.jpg

The SurePower Isolator right behind the battery box.

7.jpg

Here is the extra battery box which is bolted onto the bed rack, but not into the bed itself. You can see it in between the water tank and the propane tank. This battery box was originally on the passenger side of the vehicle in order to offset the heavier stock components of the truck, but moved since an equally heavy item was going to sit there (a jerry can and c02 tank in the future).

36.jpg

Lastly, a little mod I did a while back for onboard 120v power. I hope the 05 and above appreciate theirs, lol.

Sanitation

Although I do like the smell of a campfire on my clothes, I don’t like having it for days at a time. Add all the sweat that accumulates over days and soon the girlfriend and I can’t wait to get home and take a shower. I weighed my options and decided that a heat exchanger was the way to go for portable showers. One of my main goals was to mount the water tank as close to the center as possible to improve weight distribution. The tank is also mounted as far to the passenger side as possible to offset the heavier stock components on the drivers side.

37.jpg

Here is a FloJet RV pump with a mechanical pressure switch which turns it off with no power consumption. I believe this model does in the area of 2.5 gallons a minute. This is more then enough pressure for very nice showers. The water tank is a 21 gallon Valterra tank with internal baffles which I purchased at JCwhitney for 80 dollars shipped, a great deal. We were able to get 6 showers + washing dishes and hands here and there for a 5 day trip off one tank of water.

27.jpg

To heat up the water, I obtained a Helton heat exchanger from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters (great people to deal with). I configured a valve to let me switch between recalculating hot water back into the fresh water tank, or to pump it directly to the spigot.

5.jpg

One of the best investments are these Outback Porta-Privies. They setup in an instant and fold down just as fast once you master the trick to it. This is great for those emergency bathroom breaks from the wife, the ones they don’t warn you about until their about to burst. They also come with a tarp which velcros to the bottom for showers. In dusty or un-even conditions, the tarp does a great job of letting water drain and keeping sand and dirt out while showering.

Last edited:

argonzero

The Kitchen

I wanted to mimic a trailer or RV as close as I could, and so I wanted to have running water, a decent stove and BBQ, running hot water, a means of preserving food without the need to replace ice, and a broad surface for food preparation.

30.jpg

For the food preservation, I decided to go with an Engle 45 and mounted it on custom mounts that I made. I mounted the fridge as close to the door as possible to decrease wastes space in the cab. The lid opens enough to get small items, and has enough vertical room to pull the basket out.

6.jpg

Having room to cook is very important, and so this is where the slide out surface comes in handy.

1.jpg

Here goes the stove which is mounted onto the plastic. The reason I did this was so that we can pull the slide out and start cooking immediately. The propane and water tubes are on the left hand side, and roll with the sliding table as you pull it out.

20.jpg

Picture of the stove down.

Roof Top Tent

Lastly, while putting up and taking down a tent is not very hard, its definitely not as comfortable or rewarding as sleeping in a roof top tent. While I did not have the funds to purchase a higher quality roof top tent, I am more then happy with my investment. The tent is mounted as low as possible, reducing drag and lowering the trucks center of gravity. On a trip to Utah and back, I was able to maintain a gas mileage of approximately 19 miles per gallon on the highway. In comparison, a companion with a can-back and the same rooftop tent with 15 miles per gallon on the same trip. The truck also handles much better in turns and off camber obstacles.

I end with a couple pictures of the roof top tent on the rack along with some pictures of my adventures. Thank you for reading this ridiculously long post and I look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions.

17.jpg

12.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

25.jpg

23.jpg

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Very cool rig.

Welcome to Expo! Very nice rig.

I really dig your idea with the hinged bed cover. It was something that I was working on for my bed cover build but was not sure about it yet. You beat me to it, well done.
Cheers,
P

Brian894x4

Explorer
Wow! That is awesome! Very well thought out and executed! I am impressed.

I think you just solved my water tank issue. I've been looking for a baffled water tank and now I've found the proper brand with the fittings I need and everything, plus various sizes...sweet!

Last edited:

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
That is one of the best all-around setups i have seen. :victory: I am sure you will get many compliments from the crew here, but WELL DONE!

7wt

Expedition Leader
Wow! What a well thought out set up. I am very impressed. I like your truck because it doesn't look like a tourist trap. Nice job and welcome to Expo!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Excellent setup :cool:

Where did you score the 120V outlets you have fitted in your shifter housing, those are slick!

argonzero

Speaker said:
You, sir, have just won. :bowdown:

LOL, a good laugh to start the morning. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Brian, I thought long and hard about what I was going to do with the water tank. I was surprised to see JCWhitney have exactly what I wanted, and with free shipping. Usually the tanks were 100+ with 40 dollar shipping and had no baffles; 190 lbs of sloshing weight was a big concern for me. The others are also translucent white which help algae grow. Since this one is black your less likely to have that problem, and the black can collect heat from the sun.

I honestly think a SUV is the way to go for an expedition vehicle since you have plenty of roof rack space, a good place to mount a water tank (behind the rear seats), and ample room in the rear to hold a shelf system with a fridge. All of the best and cleanest builds seem to be you guys with the Land Cruisers, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior