"Patience" WJ Expo Build

Kosmo

Adventurer
Hi:

Looks like you are getting the foundation sorted which is great. How do you like the performance of the tires so far? I am looking at almost the same size in a 17", 235/80R17. I have run tall thin tires on a Patrol in Costa Rica, run hard over multiple terrains, never had a flat, and always performed well. I know the trend tends to be towards the "look" of wider tires, but I can not really find any advantage, other than flotation, which I don't really consider an advantage for my uses. My build is on a Jeep WK and will involve pulling a pretty heavy trailer. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

CJustin7

Adventurer
Time for some weekend updates.... because that's the only time I have to work on things and not get paid for it.
I was able to get my speakers wired up, but unable to get the fronts installed. I'll need to purchase a dremel for that... maybe next weekend.
I installed new Quick Discos up front
and I also installed my IRO TC Skid as well.

JL Audio 6.5 full range in the rear doors and pioneer mid/highs up front in the dash (or just sitting on the dash for now)
I have some 6x9 Carbon Fiber Woofers on the way for the front doors .... Amazon actually says I should get those tomorrow.

up front is easy and has actually been covered in this thread already....
The rear doors where new to me .... Easy enough though.
I just simply took the 2 screws out....one is a torx btw. Popped the plastic retainers out. Unhooked the wiring and metal door lever rods. Drilled some pilot holes and swapped everything out.
Then reversed the process after making sure it sounded good.

Put those on there... I think they are a tad long even at their shortest setting. I'm trying to figure out a way to shorten them. They really nailed down the suspension in the turns on the road, but are totally unforgiving and kind of jarring almost.
I'm going to ride them out a week or so, and see if I can think of someway to shorten them. The retainer is awesome and handy.... and they are beefy Grade 8 materials. Jon put on some of the JKS ones and I really liked his too. Even more beefier than the RC. I may swap them out completely. More research is needed.

Now lets talk about this thing...... shall we

It's all beef and no messing around with this thing. It's heavy and solid. You can see the difference beside the stocker and it's night and day.
Putting it in (by yourself) takes time and patience. I put it up there with a jack and moved it around with a rubber hammer, Making sure everything cleared. Well.... It does clear MOST of everything. My Catalytic Converter is sitting on it. (we'll come back to that in a minute though). I then took a small drill and drilled out little pilot holes. Then came in with the 29/64th drill bit as recommended by IRO. After that I begin to tinker around with the retainers. You have to slide these things up in to your frame and have them lined up exactly right or else ..... you'll be starting over and over and over to get those things right. This was absolutley the most time consuming and tedious task. Something I did to help here, as I was having a little trouble with the retainers lining up, is drill the holes out one size bigger. 31/64th. I then had a few spots that needed work. I had to take an air hammer and get the old bolt retainers off the inside of the frame from the original TC skid. They were sticking up ever so slightly on the inside of the frame, and I couldn't get my retainers to sit flush. I also had to claw out and cut a slightly larger hole in the frame on the right side. This was done to get my finger(pinky) in the frame to move the retainer. Once I was able to get everything lined up, I bolted everything up with the skid off. Then took all the bolts out being especially careful to hold the retainer while easing the last bolt out.
Jon had his JK on the Jack and Nick was on a date...... So I(being so very patient) took the TC skid and put it on my belly long ways while on a creeper, and just rolled myself and TC skid in to place.(the whole time humming the Mission Impossible tune) I carefully attached 2 bolts though each side. Then got out from underneath it and finished it up. Tightened it all down and called it a day on the WJ to help Jon put his 3" lift on the JK.

Now remember when I said my cat was resting on this skid .... It is doing just that. It's actually sitting on the bottom and not the sides .... So no matter where I put the TC skid .... The Cat was just to low.
I'm just going to lift it up via welds and threaded rebar. It clucks something horrible right now going over train tracks. I knew it was right from the get-go .... but It's my exhaust that's low and not a problem with the IRO Skid.

aaaaaand BONUS pictures.
because Jeeps ... that's why.

Jons new Rubi Express sSprings

Jons new 3" lift after install. I have to say.... That's the easiest lift I've ever seen go on. It must be nice to have new bolts and no rust. We flew through that thing.

Nick finally got his new trussed axles, Lockers, and 35's on. This thing is awesome now..... makes my WJ look tiny.

On the way still .... JRC rock sliders. ETA ... 2 weekish.
front door 6x9s
Til next time.

CJustin7

Adventurer
Hi:

Looks like you are getting the foundation sorted which is great. How do you like the performance of the tires so far? I am looking at almost the same size in a 17", 235/80R17. I have run tall thin tires on a Patrol in Costa Rica, run hard over multiple terrains, never had a flat, and always performed well. I know the trend tends to be towards the "look" of wider tires, but I can not really find any advantage, other than flotation, which I don't really consider an advantage for my uses. My build is on a Jeep WK and will involve pulling a pretty heavy trailer. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

I've ran these in the snow and ice down here and they have done excellent. They are ok in mud and have a few places where they do tend to do better than the fatty tires. I think they dig more and cut into the mud til they get to the harder stuff better than the fattys. Like you said, I don't see a huge gain in going wider..... although for rocks and crawling I would think the wider tires would do better with more surface area to grip with. They are not that loud either. I see rooster tails from all 4 in the mud ... So I'm assuming they clear themselves pretty well. I've yet to get stuck..... so that's always good.:wings:
On road manners are great. I do have the E rated tires, so It's allot stiffer than what most people run on theirs. I use 35psi al the way around to achieve a nice feel to the suspension and cornering, while not overly inflated to cause a jarring ride. I run around 20 off road and they barley bow out at all.
Overall, These fit my needs and wants very well. I do like them allot.

Pulling a trailer with E rated tires would be awesome..... They have a 10 ply rating and are made to support more weight than the C Rated.

Do you have a build thread ?

CJustin7

Adventurer
After a little research, I think I can delete the 3rd Cat that's resting on my skid. It super annoying over any decent size bump "Clunk". No 02 sensor to mess anything up, so I think it's pretty safe (also illegal). I'll probably grab a muffler this weekend too and get a little more sound out of her. Thinking of Super 40 or Super 10...... Will have to see what available in my area first. Right now you can't even hear the V8 from the sound of the hydraulic fan.

VistaCruiser

Observer
^^^LOLZ, I know! I'm on the other side of the coin now, coming full circle. Built a "few" Jeep wagons with big meats, now wanting to get back to destination/Expo wheeling. Restricting myself to a tire size that fits in the stock spare well. Enjoy the build!

Sam

CJustin7

Adventurer
Finished getting all my new speakers in. I had to dremel out the front dash to make room for my new 3.5" speakers (had to fit in 2.5" hole). I hacked the crap out of it, but they fit. and you can't tell with the dash back on. Having some slight vibrations coming from the plastic dash piece that fits over them though.... So I'll need to remedy that and have a few Ideas. My new Carbon Fiber 6x9 Sub Woofers are Amazing. They cleared the base up so much .....It's almost on point with the quality of my 11 speaker surround sound in my caddy. I am going to need to get some spacers though. Currently I have stacks of washers behind the speaker in order to clear my window. they are are about 1/8" to deep and prevented the window from rolling down. That also diminishes the sound quality, as there is no real enclosure right now. No big deal , just going to pick up some plastic 6x9 spacers and throw them in there.

Now I was about to hack off my 3rd Cat and muffler this weekend...... but remedied the issue I was having with it another way. If you remember the issue with the 3rd Cat resting on my new skid plate..... Clunking over every bump.... yeah, It was really annoying.
I took a jack and placed it right behind the belly skid, on the exhaust. Jacked it up til I was lifting the jeep. Set it down and it now clears no issue. Essentially I just bent the pipe up enough to where it doesn't clunk anymore. I'm still going to trade off cans soon and put a Super 10 or 44 in there to get more growl.My phone was dead, so I didn't take any pictures, I apologize.

CJustin7

Adventurer
Ordered and on the way
Still awaiting my frame sliders from JRC
Ordered up a roof rack, extension, roof rack net
New Headlights (same as I ordered last time, but these are actually in stock)

Currently looking at mufflers
Currently looking at winches (almost time to start in on the bumpers)

CJustin7

Adventurer
Back from vacation. It was pretty awesome..... we all pitched in and rented a cabin up in Gatlinburg, Tn. It had a theater room and a private mini golf course. I've never been in such a nice place. We ate great every meal, and everyone pitched in. I did a seafood boil. Others did bacon wrapped fillets and big breakfasts. Of course lots of drinking and allot of fun games of putt putt.

Not only did I have a great time up there..... I came home to presents. Headlights, Roof Rack, and Frame Sliders were all waiting for me .... as well as my 120lb dog. Looks like the shipping company did a piss poor job and bent one of my sliders, but It's fixable. I think I can hammer it out with some heat. I'm really excited about the headlights..... Mine are pretty far gone and I'm not a fan of fixing something that's about to be replaced. So I've not attempted to polish them back up.

CJustin7

Adventurer
For your current headlights use toothpaste and a paper towel it works surprisingly well.

Thanks, I've heard that somewhere before. I've also heard bug spray works well too. Since I was already set on replacing mine, I felt it would have been a waste of time. My Uncle who runs an auto shop has actually been bugging me for them. He's going to polish one and set them up on display to show customers how to bring them back from the dead. His method is a little different though. He likes to wet sand them with soapy water using 500 to 1000 to 2000 to 2500 sand paper.... then he polishes and buffs them out. Takes him about 20mins a head light.

Last edited:

CJustin7

Adventurer
Had a little free time after work last night.....
Decided to go ahead and throw my headlights in. I like them. Not to ricey, and much better looking than the stockers. They go great with my LED tails too.
Light output isn't much more than stockers, but the spread is awesome. I'm using halogens for now, with the idea of retrofitting it all out at some point and converting them to HID. It was all really easy. I did notice I have a few running lights that need to be replaced. I also need to adjust my left one a little as it's just a tad to high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior