Adventure Tool Company's (ATC) 4wd Provan Tiger adventures

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Got the Tiger home and drives like a dream. Spent a good hour with the transmission shop owner, mechanics and a box of parts that came out of my tranny. We went over each part and it appears that trans was just old and tired. No heat damage other than due to clutch wear they showed some slipping that would cause additional heat. The torque converter was clean and showed no heat damage aswell. The "suncage?" Also was clean with no color distortion. It also turns out that 1995 was the only year for this particular 4l60e, so they rebuilt this one versus just swapping a refurbished trans. It sucks to have to deal with this, but since it had 170k on it and I have no idea what the two previous owners did with it, this now gives me a peace of mind for our future trips. I will be adding a larger radiator, trans temp gage and a trans oil pan cooler to keep this thing long for a long time! See ya on the trail?

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Got the Tiger home and drives like a dream. Spent a good hour with the transmission shop owner, mechanics and a box of parts that came out of my tranny. We went over each part and it appears that trans was just old and tired. No heat damage other than due to clutch wear they showed some slipping that would cause additional heat. The torque converter was clean and showed no heat damage aswell. The "suncage?" Also was clean with no color distortion. It also turns out that 1995 was the only year for this particular 4l60e, so they rebuilt this one versus just swapping a refurbished trans. It sucks to have to deal with this, but since it had 170k on it and I have no idea what the two previous owners did with it, this now gives me a peace of mind for our future trips. I will be adding a larger radiator, trans temp gage and a trans oil pan cooler to keep this thing long for a long time! See ya on the trail?

I understand your frustration but look at it as you know it is in like new condition and should outlast the time that you own it. Never fun to pay out but a relief when you hit the road in that you know it is one less thing to worry about. If it was not in bad shape then doing the upgrades will help even more.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I understand your frustration but look at it as you know it is in like new condition and should outlast the time that you own it. Never fun to pay out but a relief when you hit the road in that you know it is one less thing to worry about. If it was not in bad shape then doing the upgrades will help even more.

Exactly! Well said and thanks.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
MaxTrax mounting on a Tiger

Not really a solution, but more as a conversation piece and when you own a textile company you can play around with stuff. The challenge was to carry MTs on our Tiger 4wd Camper more for leveling then getting out of the goo. Since they need to be easily accessible, quick and not up on the roof I created this ladder MT carrier. It's primarily made of 1000D Cordura nylon, 1 inch webbing and has a drainhole and a couple of side release buckles for securing it to the ladder, but also allow afor quick removal and simple reattachement. When around people a cable lock would be good to keep the sticky fingers off. Anyway, something to think about and dissect. Be safe..IMG_2334.jpgIMG_2335.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
mind sharing what upgrades the tranny got? Thanks for the interior height info. Would love to find one of these.

Great question. I was told it would receive all new internals and torque converter. Apparently a lot of the internals have received design upgrades for heavier duty use. Here's what all the inners looked like.IMG_2338.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Tinkering around and cleaning the Tiger today prepping for our Thanksgiving trip to Moab. Like many, we have dozens of event, destination and morale patches. We ran out of space to put them so I created a "Patch Panel" and mounted it on the door. Easy to add patchs and something fun to chat about.IMG_2339.jpgIMG_2340.jpg

Last edited:

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Looks like you got a new sun shell, clutches, shift solenoids.. all good things. Any idea of they put a vette servo or any upgraded apply pistons in? Those would be very good upgrades for your use. How long did it take you to find your Tiger anyhow?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Looks like you got a new sun shell, clutches, shift solenoids.. all good things. Any idea of they put a vette servo or any upgraded apply pistons in? Those would be very good upgrades for your use. How long did it take you to find your Tiger anyhow?

Thanks. Not sure about the servo or pistons, but I'll check. Sounds like your a transmission guy.

It took about three years to find the Tiger. During that time I found three on the east front range. The first was a 2wd Chevy, so we weren't interested. The second was a newer model Ford crew cab 4 wd, but it was too long and pricey. This one was for sale up north of Estes, Co. the interior was a little tired, but seemed to have strong bones and drove out nicely. Knowing that if we left it, it would sell, we made a cash offer and drove it home. We've spent the last couple of years tinkering and restoring it and now we're using it for its intended purpose. I would highly recommend it due to its floor plan, amenities, ease of driving, parts availability and general fun factor without a massive investment. Good luck!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Not a Tiger.....wow, got a chance to visit and look at several EarthRoamers since it's just down the hill from ATC HQ. Holy cow they're gorgeous machines. They make our 60 look tiny!image1.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Been fiddlin around with our Tiger for the last couple of weeks and got the itch to do a road trip. Heading out soon to see how it does in the snow. Looking forward to hitting the road!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My Sweetie and I just had the most epic weekend! We attended the Expedition Overland Wrap Party in Salt Lake City, Utah, but spent a ton of time exploring, hiking and camping along the way. We hiked and camped at Dinosaur National Park. Then went up to Salt Lake to attend the XO Party and then hung out on Antelope Island on the great Salt Lake. We highly recommend visiting SL, some parts put Colorado to shame. Can see why the locals are so proud and protective of their State!

A couple of winter camping challenges. 1) Tigers are known for not being very well insulated, so a couple of nights in single digits will keep the furnace going all night. Having plenty of ATC wool blankets also helps. I've been planning to pipe heat to the bathroom and upper bunk area but haven't done it yet. But will now become a priority as we do more winter camps.
2) A 19 ft camper is the perfect size for trails, dirt roads and just general exploring. The combination of the 5.7, auto trans, BFG A/Ts and selectable 4wd got us everywhere we pointed it. And running around the city and parking was never a problem.
3) the only issue now is since our tanks aren't heated I dumped about $30 worth of antifreeze in so they wouldn't freeze. The bigger problem was all the dump stations in Utah, Wyoming and Colorado seem to be closed for the winter! Literally, ah crap....IMG_2461.jpgIMG_2480.jpgIMG_2463.jpgIMG_2488.jpgIMG_2483.jpgIMG_2498.jpg

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Found this old "before" photo of our Tiger the day we picked it up and a recent "after" shot. It's come a long way!IMG_2481.jpgIMG_2461.jpgIMG_2537.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste