14' Unlimited Rubicon Rim and Tire Question….

sonofmdlbldr

Adventurer
Hey All,

About the pull the plug on new tires. I have a Rubicon Express 2.5" Suspension Lift.

Duratrac LT 315/70R17

1st Question: Will they work with my current set up and stock 2014 Rubicon Rims? If not any recommendations for a 35" tire?

2nd Question: I'm also thinking about something to push out the stance of the tires and would like to avoid wheel spacers. Anyone know of new rims that will do the job with minimal mods (trimming pinch weld or bumpers).

Thanks folks!!!

Joe

Last edited:

Idahoan

Adventurer
1, you'd probably get a little rubbing. I've run hub centric spacers in the past and had no issues with them... But good rims are better.

On my 13 JKUR I went with a 2.5" lift and the AEV Savegre wheels. No trimming or messing around needed. The offset put the edge of the tread right at the edge of the stock fenders.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would probably run a good set of spacers, the rubi rims are amazing strong. Most of the aftermarket offerings besides hutchinsons and a few like that are much weaker. Teraflex, spidertrax are my choices for spacers. I am running a set I got from a local dealer and I have to replace studs every time I changed tires. I am going to be installing a set of teraflex spacers very soon. Their studs are same as factory so no more issues with that.

daveh

Adventurer
Those tires will work fine but you will need spacers or new wheels. You will need a backspace at least = to the backspace used by AEV on their wheels.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
+1 on SpiderTrax spacers, I've been running them for 2+ years with zero issues both on road and off road. I chose them because 4 spacers are way less $$ than 5 rims.

sonofmdlbldr

Adventurer
Thanks all for the responses.

I ran spacers on my former rig with no issues either. I was fairly good about checking the torque often enough.

I've never seen a spacer fail because of the spacer itself. The one I have seen was because the owner didn't torque correctly. With that said…I might consider spacers in place of new wheels.

Do I go 1.5" or 1.75" Spidertrax?

Or the 1.25" Teraflex?

Thanks again everyone.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
I ran the stock Rubi wheels on my JKUR with the exact same tires and both AEV 2.5" and 3.5" lifts. Went with the SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers. Never had a single issue!

Jurfie

Adventurer
I think the general consensus is 1.5" spacers are the best to prevent rubbing at full-lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears