15 used Earth Roamers

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
During a teleconference today, I decided to look up used Earth Roamers....cause why not...and it was hour 2.

I have never seen so many used on their page before. Some of these are recent builds, 15 showing today.

Capture Earhroamer.JPG

lucilius

Earthroamer has been making F550 truck campers for almost two decades: there are a lot of them out there. The major recent development is the carbon fiber LTi. I think there are a few owners who bought fiberglass XVLTS's who realized during the 1-2 years of manufacturing (esp. during COVID) that a newer, shinier toy was being offered, so they trade up to the LTi while their current rig is basically new. This can be a win for the ER buyer who has more faith in the fiberglass model, doesn't want to wait and can save a little money. Overall, it is surprisingly common for ER owners to upgrade to newer models after a few (or many) years and the company "trade-in" has some benefits vs the adventure of a DIY sale...here I refer you to Expedition Portal's "For sale - By ExPo members (*With Price*)" section which for some reason, despite the often exceptional expedition rigs being offered, can be a lot like walking into the bar in Star Wars regarding organization, upkeep and discourse. I believe there are several ER owners on their third rig and dozens on their second.

86scotty

Cynic
I’ll take the HD for $1.8 mil. :rolleyes:

Where would you take it though? Lol. That thing isn't going hardly anywhere offroad. That's what I don't get about these things. If I had the money for one I'd still have an overland rig about like I have now and a REALLY nice cabin on a lake somewhere, and still a lot of cheddar left over.

Where would you take it though? Lol. That thing isn't going hardly anywhere offroad. That's what I don't get about these things. If I had the money for one I'd still have an overland rig about like I have now and a REALLY nice cabin on a lake somewhere, and still a lot of cheddar left over.
I couldn’t agree more.
For $1.8M you can get a 6x6 Unicat (MAN or MB factory heavy truck chassis complete with CTIS etc etc) with tons of features unobtainable on the HD. But all way too big for decent mobility.
Multiple places I went last month…a vehicle 400mm taller (16”) and 3-4m (10-13’) longer, and up to 50% heavier, just wouldn’t have been able to go.

Wakeup2river

There are even more if you add in Facebook marketplace and rvtrader

Interest rates have doubled. Car loans are 8%, a 7-year loan of 430k is a $6,500 month payment, plus gas, insurance and maintenance. A 2 year play and sell cost you $100-$200k

Hopefully we are starting to thin out the fade heard.

Last edited:

lucilius

I couldn’t agree more.
For $1.8M you can get a 6x6 Unicat (MAN or MB factory heavy truck chassis complete with CTIS etc etc) with tons of features unobtainable on the HD. But all way too big for decent mobility.
Multiple places I went last month…a vehicle 400mm taller (16”) and 3-4m (10-13’) longer, and up to 50% heavier, just wouldn’t have been able to go.
+1. I've wondered about this as well. Best guess is this might appeal to the Prevost shopper who likes big tires, needs AWD to travel during North American winters and venture up the occasional wide dirt road and not one headed for rough offroad & third world adventures. They are definitely high-luxury items. Unless we're to assume the owners made their money illegally, more power to them and the freedom to choose what to buy & where to drive. Ideally, Unicat or similar would set up a dedicated outfit in the US and offer new and/or refurb'd rigs on legally imported MAN/MB, and have the parts block and maintenance capability. I've noticed the occasional Unicat in CONUS for sale, and Bliss is a good concept (still need safe seating for 4-5 pax and a realistic pass-through), but nothing quite hitting the mark. There is a lot a competent DIYer with a boatload of spare time and motivation can do at home in the driveway but also good to be able to find a mechanic with the right knowledge, the right tools and plenty of parts. From what I've seen and read the Euro rigs (mainly in that they weren't designed from the start to be 4-season box trucks with powerful but problematic engines on chassis designed to spend most of their time on decent paved/dirt roads) are just more capable&durable when it comes to building >19,000lbs+ on/offroad camping rigs carrying the weight of a well-built camper box and all the kit 24/7/365.

plh

Explorer
The people dropping 1.8M probably already have that nice cabin and a couple other homes.

This

is a bit more (€880k) than half the asking price of the HD! Difficult to register even in Canada (2014 chassis), but 6x6, raising roof and even CTIS*, only 45k miles.
I’d never want something this big, but it seems much more of a value than the HD.
* there’s no mention of locking diffs at either end of the HD; the Actros above can be switched to 100% lock. Other than size and weight, the 4 key elements of truck mobility are low gears, axle articulation, locking diffs and ability to easily lower tire pressure w/beadlocks.
May sound irrelevant…till you get stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior