15 years (so far) with this TJ!

You guys must not DD your Jeeps, cause I picked my JK up in Feb 2013 and just crossed 107,000 miles last month.
I have zigzagged my way across the western US though.
We don't have to drive everyday. My commute to work is about 15 steps. We live full time in an RV and work full time out of our RV. One year we only drove our Jeep 3,000 miles. This year we've already surpassed that number. We are doing a estimated 3,800 miles over the next month and a half out west in our TJ.

Curly

Adventurer
You guys must not DD your Jeeps, cause I picked my JK up in Feb 2013 and just crossed 107,000 miles last month.
I have zigzagged my way across the western US though.
I did DD my TJ for the first 6 years I had it, but my commute was only 3 miles one way. I also divide my driving among my other cars/jeeps and the TJ has been reassigned to day trip and camping trip duties. Just got done doing 3 day trips showing some guests around the local trails (Sedona) and now she will sit for 3 weeks and then it is off to Kingman for 4 days of trails/camping. :)

billiebob

Mine works every day towing my trailer thru the mountains. 24K miles a year. The trailer has 50K miles on it. Best darn tow vehicle I've ever owned.

Heres work format

It takes 5 minutes to trade trailers, trade doors, take off the ladders, load the dog and go.

With the camper out the 5x10 deck works way better than a pickup

Definitely the best all around vehicle I've owned.

Mine works every day towing my trailer thru the mountains. 24K miles a year. The trailer has 50K miles on it. Best darn tow vehicle I've ever owned.

Heres work format
View attachment 514783

It takes 5 minutes to trade trailers, trade doors, take off the ladders, load the dog and go.
View attachment 514784

With the camper out the 5x10 deck works way better than a pickup
View attachment 514785

Definitely the best all around vehicle I've owned.
View attachment 514786
Indeed mine as well has been the best all round vehicle I’ve ever had as well. Good looking billiebob!!!!

Did some exploring around the Santa Fe National Forest off hwy 4 and down the road from Bandolier National Park. Had dispersed camping in several areas on the forest roads. We spent two nights here and was very peaceful except for the occasional jet flying over.

We had excellent 4G LTE on Verizon and got several items checked off our list for out clients. It’s places like this that we search for!

This forest road was blocked by 3 fallen trees...

We made our way out of the Santa Fe National Forest and headed for Angel Peak Recreation Area just southeast of Bloomfield, New Mexico.
This is our first time here and it sure does make us feel small. We picked this place because it was away from hwy noise and had beautiful vistas. We had read that it might possibly have 4G LTE Verizon too. Sure enough it does. We had to catch up on some of our work. With office views like this it sure does make working for ourselves a wonderful thing.
Angel Peak.

514926We had some nearby storms that luckily stayed away from us.

MOguy

Explorer
I came home from Kosovo the first Sunday in February 2001, by the end of the next day I had my brand new TJ and still have it.

It taken me cross country MO/TN to CA a few times. I have towed with it on some of the trips, it has been a daily driver (106 mile commute) in Southern CA.

I have had different commuter cars but not because there is anything wrong with the TJ as a daily driver, I just want to keep it so I don't put miles on it commuting.

Most of the time I have had it I used for rougher off-roading as opposed to "overlanding". I have laid it over on each side a few times, it has taken some abuse but it has held together just fine. I have had many other vehicles during that time period and none have ever been as reliable, except for my 2004 Chevy Cavalier. I had a 2004 4Runner and that POS had head issues at 10 years and 160K. Currently I have a newer GMC Acadia Denali that took almost $1500 to fix the front passenger side electronics (window, lock, heated/AC seat) thank goodness for warranty.

My TJ has needed some things replaced but mainly do to me beating the hell out of it. Even than all you need is the part, a wrench and an afternoon to fix it.

There are great vehicles. I have done some stupid things with mine that I probably shouldn't have. Oh well it still gets me there and back so far! I love this thing till it dies completely! I am in search of a little bit bigger vehicle though. Although I will never get rid of my TJ!

Lately the wife and I have been hitting some pretty cool spots. Both camping and sight seeing! We made our way out of Angel Point Recreation Area up through Farmington, NM passed the Four Corners and up in to Utah. We have been to this area before. Valley of the Gods was a place that we knew we had to come back to. Last time when we were here we did not get up the Moki Dugway. This time is different since we have plenty of time! We had spent the few hours before the Dugway trying to avoid the rain storm approaching the area. We went down to Mexican Hat to ride out the storm. We waited about an hour with no relief of the rain stopping so I suggested that we make a run down to Monument Valley and check it out since neither one of us had been there. We arrived in Monument Valley to some fog and light rain. We snapped a few pictures and drove though and turned around and drove back through. By this time the rain has subsided enough to allow us to go find a campsite. Before we found a camping spot we drove up the Dugway. Rain had washed away some rocks and loose dirt and left some rutted areas. We did not see anyone on our way up. I turned the Jeep around at Muley Point Rd and we went back down.

Beautiful view from this elevation!

The Valley of the Gods Rd was decent enough to drive on by this time. No more rain for the next few days in the forecast. We arrived at a good campsite that had usable Extended 3G service on Verizon which we did not mind since we had to catch up on some work. I snapped a few late evening shots of the campsite and we went to bed.

The next morning when we woke up and looked outside was beautiful!

We stayed here for 2 whole nights and worked with this view as our office. 'Twas very peaceful sleeping except for the occasional jet flying up above. We will definitely come back here to stay again when in the area!

Attachments

• DSCF9610.jpg
    DSCF9610.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 12

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Have had many Jeeps over the years (this '06 TJR for about 2 years; has about 100k on the clock).
Works ok/adequately, but the step down from the performance of a well set up CJ-7 was (is) substantial...works well (enough) for lite-moderate wheeling/camping etc, however.
As with anything; beware of the hype.

Enjoy!

pittsburgh

tacocat
@Beentheredoingthat those are 31's on your jeep right?

@billiebob What size tires are you running?

Also what roof racks are you guys using and @Beentheredoingthat does the rooftop tent make your jeep feel top heavy at all?

I am debating on keeping the LJ vs. Selling everything for a new jeep. But, every time I open my garage I think... I like my old primitive'ish Jeep, so I am looking at tire/gear options for the LJ right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12