1500 series quad cab overlanders....your thought please.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
We bought a new 2013 Subaru XV CrossTrek for our daughter. 26k so far. Love it. Yes it has had to have oil added. Do you think the 0-w20 is too thin & it is getting by the rings or what ?

More than likely your dipstick just shows loss of oil better, while others are angled to hide it. See it all the time. I run 10w30 in 0w20 engines in the summer. 5w30 in the winter.

All engines drink some oil. Manual trans cars that spend excess time under engine braking vacuum can drink more. A big engine like a GM 8.8L will drink a qt every 1000 miles. Could be driving style. Could be normal. Could just be overfilled. Many Detroit Series 60's will rapidly drink oil until it's halfway on the dip stick, then stop and level out. I wouldn't sweat it. just topp off as needed. But avoid filling all the way to the top of the stick. Shoot for middle and see if it helps.

402xjeeper

Observer
1/2tons are fine if you choose the right truck, and right options. Ford f150s are a little stouter than dodges, and both our stouter than gm in the drivetrain, and suspension. that said weigh your stuff and family, your proposed truck, and see if you really have the gvw to do the job. Advertised capacities are based on base model regular cabs, and are the limit for cargo, passengers, fuel, and OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT! V8, A/C, Quad cab, 4x4 must all be subtracted from that total. 3/4 tons, especially Dodges and Fords are much better able to do the job that you are planning, a fully loaded 1/2 ton dragging itself over a trail will lose ground clearance, strain components, bottom out/high center, much more easily than a 3/4 ton. I went from an F-250 to an f150. super crew and back to an f250 after learning these lessons, even though I did not overload my f150. Also when loaded up the MPG advantage that the 1/2 tons have will narrow or disapear. Start.ing with a 3/4 ton will save money on mods as well because they are geared lower, will not requ0ire air bags etc. often fit a larger tire without a lift.

kmcoop7

Observer
full size

you can wheel a full size down any of those trails. I have ran Elephant hill, black bear, and countless other moderate Colorado and Utah 4wd trails in a CC 1/2 ton. The only time you will notice the extra width is with all the elbow room and space between the kids.

I have no idea why anyone buys a "mid size" truck. They are underpowered, and have a fraction of the interior space, bed space and weight carrying capcacity of the 1/2tons. The mileage difference is negligible at worst. Some 1/2 tons now return significantly better mileage than any Tacoma or frontier including the 4bangers. Mid size trucks also have much more limitation when it comes to increasing tire size. 35's will pretty easily fit on any 1/2 ton with no cutting. 37's will fit on Ford and Ram 3/4 ton trucks with a level kit. Good luck getting 33's on a fronty or taco with out a $2k++++lift. Also, you end up paying the same or less for a comparably equipped domestic half ton than you do for a taco.....if you know how to negotiate, and certainly in the used market. You CAN definitely spend more on a 1/2 ton if you like goodies and leather seats that wear out in 4 years.

Personally I recommend a 3/4 or 1ton ford or Ram. Solid axles, easy to lift, you can beat the poo out of them for 250k + miles and put anything you want in the back. Big tires are easy.

But.....the only time you really notice the difference in size is in the wheelbase. But with big tires you just run over the crap that is in the way and do a bit more back and forth to get through the tight spots. I am driving a CCLB Ram 3500 and not really afraid to take it down any trails I would have run in my f150, tundra or Titan. It certainly doesn't inspire the confidence that my 80 series did though.

In the 1/2 ton world my choices would be:
#1. F150, xlt with Fx4 package or off road package to get the rear locker. Big back seat, easy to upgrade. tough. Ecoboost if you live at altitude. 5.0 if you are a low lander.
#2. a Ram 1500, all the engine choices are good. the v6 penstars do run hot though which gives me pause as to their durability.
#3. A tundra. durable, wheelable, massive back seat. *** hauling v8.
#4....anything but a Silverado if you want to wheel it.

ZMagic97

Explorer
When I met my girlfriend she had two kids, and after a year a 2 door JK wasn't cutting it for weekend trails. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab short bed (the 5.8 bed) and am VERY pleased with it. Plenty of interior room and enough room in the bed. I will be adding a camper shell for sleeping in the back when it's just us, the dog, and gear. Width has not been a concern for me. Length also isn't bad. I ran Imogene in my JK last fall and it's width due to the tires is the same as my 1500. I'd take that 1500 on any reasonable trail without worries.

Also, I have a 5.3, 4L50E trans, 6 lift and 35s. I have no issues after a mild tune even with 3.73 in going on trails or going down the highway at 80. My other truck is a 4.3L Silverado...I can say the GM trucks have never given me an issues, especially the Vortec motors.

Happy Rig Hunting!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle