1500 Suburban vs. Something Else?

DrkSide

I figured I would put this in the Domestic since that is the only options I am considering. The wife and I are planning on getting a little more serious about camping and I am debating keeping our current rig or getting something else. Help me decide.

Current rig is a '04 Suburban Z-71: 285/75/17 Cooper STT just put on a few months ago and that is the only mod. It has 213k on the odometer and has been a good truck since I bought it last year with 180k on it. One wheel bearing is the only maintenance that it has taken. If I keep this I will be doing a 2" lift kit on it and a winch bumper on the front and call it good.

I am also looking at possibly upgrading to a 2500HD truck/SUV. If I am going to be putting money into something I am leaning towards stepping up to the 2500 vs the 1500 that I have. They have an extra 2" of lift from the factory and overall better components. With the budget I will however be looking at another higher mileage vehicle.

Uses are basically 1-4 day camping and road trips. We have not done anything very technical off-road and I don't plan on doing much but I want something that can take me to where I want within reason and get me back to the house. The suburban is currently my daily driver but that may change soon with the purchase of a commuter car.

I will be sticking with the mid 90's to 06 Chevrolet since that is what I am familiar with and is what I like.

With all of the above am I overthinking this and should just use what I have or should I go ahead and step up.

cowboy63645

Adventurer
The one main thing I would consider is price. Is the vehicle your driving now paid off? Will you be buying another vehicle outright? I have many times thought about buying a new vehicle and modding, but my current truck (2006 Chevy Silverado ccsb) is paid off and works for what I need. Just a few basic things to consider.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

east_tn_81

Adventurer
The one main thing I would consider is price. Is the vehicle your driving now paid off? Will you be buying another vehicle outright? I have many times thought about buying a new vehicle and modding, but my current truck (2006 Chevy Silverado ccsb) is paid off and works for what I need. Just a few basic things to consider.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I really have to agree. Why spend extra money on something else that may have issues. At least now you know what you got. Just worry about this ones maintenance an mods and you should be good to go.

DrkSide

Thanks for the input everyone. I think you said what I knew already so I will be keeping it. Now to find something I can drive daily.

Also have to see if it will fit in the garage with ~4" of lift on it.

oldestof11

Observer
The thing with a 2500 Burb from 01-06 is you get the 6.0 or 8.1 engines and neither are as fuel efficient as the 5.3. If that's OK with you then I suggest a 8.1L. Nominal hit in mileage and better power stock. You might even get it cheaper as its such a big engine.

Mine has 20x10 (I think) wheels and 285/55 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I love it. Drove it Chicago and got a hand calculated 12.1mpg. Not bad since I was doing 70mph most of the way and back roads on the way home.

anw7405

Observer
I have a 2000 burb with Z71 rear springs and 1.5 spacers (leveled)with a slim roof rack and I have to unhook the garage to squeeze it in. ( Just for reference I have 285's also)

aardvarcus

Adventurer
I have a 2500HD truck with the 8.1L. The extra 2" of lift from the factory is because the frame is literally 2" taller. So the body sits higher, but the frame is the same distance off of the ground, so you wouldn't be gaining any ground clearance switching to a 2500HD series. Also the rear differential on the truck is a massive 11.5" 14 bolt, so you have even less ground clearance under the chunk. There are plenty of reasons to pick a 2500HD, but stock ground clearance isn't one of them. Also daily driving it would slowly eat you alive with fuel bills. I love my 8.1L, but I also have a commuter car.

Overall I echo everyone else, unless you were going to search high and low for one with lower miles and also get a commuter I would run what you have now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger