1500HD

Devin W

Observer
Here's as close to a side view as I have right now

View attachment 87955

The scoops are still on there. I'd like to get rid of them but I'm worried about the paint getting messed up when they come off. Anyone have experience with that? Ideas?

I know with the Silverado 1500HD you can swap the HD version (taller profile) hood and they aren't stupid expensive. Not sure if that works on the GMC's but it would look good with the bumper. You're still in for paint if you do that though unless you can find a salvage hood in the right color.

Repo503

Adventurer
I know with the Silverado 1500HD you can swap the HD version (taller profile) hood and they aren't stupid expensive. Not sure if that works on the GMC's but it would look good with the bumper. You're still in for paint if you do that though unless you can find a salvage hood in the right color.

Yeah the 2500HD fits 1500 models, as well as 00-06 Tahoe, Suburban, and with minor trimming Sierra and Yukon.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Monofiliment line "Fishing line" to cut the mounting tape, then use 3M automotive adhesive remover.
I de-badged my whole truck when I bought it and it worked great.
Sorry to say those hood scoops take away from a cool truck. " My opinion only"

MagnutsWJ

Observer
No need to say sorry about that, I agree. There were on when I bought it. I might try that method once it warms up around here

Wilbah

Adventurer
Can I ask a dumb question?...what is a 1500 HD? The only "HD" versions I have seen are 2500? (Not being argumentative or a smart-a**...just curious?) Thanks!

MagnutsWJ

Observer
From what I could find prior to buying the truck is that a 1500HD is the same truck as a 2500 non-HD. 6.0L V8, 8 bolt axles, bigger brakes etc. Essentially a 3/4 ton with 1/2 ton badging. I read somewhere that it was made partly so that GM could claim the best payload in its class

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Picked up a canopy the other day and added some Yakima towers and load bars. Going to build a a removable sleeping platform. Spring is here, time to get prepared.
rack3.jpgRack1.jpg

olsen_karl

Adventurer
From what I could find prior to buying the truck is that a 1500HD is the same truck as a 2500 non-HD. 6.0L V8, 8 bolt axles, bigger brakes etc. Essentially a 3/4 ton with 1/2 ton badging. I read somewhere that it was made partly so that GM could claim the best payload in its class

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500, extended cab, longbed, same body style as yours, that is the so-called "light duty" 2500. From what I can remember, my 2500 is mechanically the same as your 1500HD; the only difference is that GM sold the 1500HD as a shortbed, and to get a longbed meant getting the 2500 label. IIRC, all 1500HDs were crew cab too.

The only differences between what we have and the 2500HD are (1) 2500HD has bigger frame under the bed, and (2) 2500HD has full-floating rear axle, ours have the 9.5 semi-floating axle. The 1500HD/2500LD have an 8600 GVWR and the 2500HD gets a 9200 GVWR.

The 1500HD/2500LD/2500HD all have hydroboost brakes with large calipers (much bigger than the 1500), 8-lug axles, and 6.0L V8. Mine has the optional 4.10 gears; I think 3.73 were standard.

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Been awhile since I posted in here. Some updates, sold the big bulky aluminum bumper and had a local fabricator build me a smaller, stronger bumper. Just installed it today and its unreal. Also fabbed up a simple rack for my topper. No pics of my sleeping platform but that came out great too. Pics....
Bumps4.jpgBumps1.jpgBumps2.jpgBumps3.jpg

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
I like that bumper a lot better. If you don't mind me asking, what did the builder charge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12