The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon versus the Land Rover Defender

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks Omar...I am a big fan on Andrew's and can't wait to see this comparison...

MTSN

Explorer
About 15 years ago when I had my XJ on 33s, I used to wheel with a guy with a D90 with coilovers, 37s, lockers, supercharger, alloy axle shafts, aftermarket seats, etc. It was fully built and looked amazing, but every time we went out he had a failure of some sort - broken axles, massive cooling leak, oil leak, broken steering shaft... I was poor at the time and literally saved up used parts in my dorm room to slowly add to my XJ, and this guy obviously had no money constraints at all yet he consistently told me and a guy with a TJ that he was jealous we could go wheeling without having to worry about a breakdown. Who knows maybe the guy didn't know how to drive or something, but after that I never wanted to own a Defender since we were spending most of our wheeling days figuring out how to get him off the trail.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
It's no contest. While I cannot speak for on-road handling, the Rubicon will win off-road every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
It's no contest. While I cannot speak for on-road handling, the Rubicon will win off-road every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It's also not a contest because it's simply not possible to get a newish Defender in North America.

If anyone thinks a 70's or 80s defender is a competitor for a 2010+ Wrangler Rubicon, they're not living the real world.

-Dan

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
It's also not a contest because it's simply not possible to get a newish Defender in North America.

If anyone thinks a 70's or 80s defender is a competitor for a 2010+ Wrangler Rubicon, they're not living the real world.

-Dan

There are places other than 'Murica in the world however!

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
for what a new or used defender costs to buy and maintain vs. a rubicon, it should be un-comparably better than a rubicon.

Right?

all I hear is how robust the rovers are and new jeeps have thin sheet metal. haha.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
There are places that have NEW ones, like Europe, Scandanavia, and other places like that as well. Being that this is from the UK, its a very fair comparison.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Its probably a test from South Africa.

They really look awesome, slightly more masculine and military than the wrangler, and I like that.

2918664119.jpg

The Wrangler looks for me more tiny and feminine

03C0021C04978266-c2-photo-oYToyOntzOjE6InciO2k6OTYwO3M6NToiY29sb3IiO3M6NToid2hpdGUiO30%3D-essai-comparatif-jeep-wrangler-vs-land-rover-defender.jpg

The Defender have better approach and departure angle and have better ground clearance. The ground clearance under the diffs under the axles are similar as the have about 32" tires as the Wrangler have.

-.jpg

I did buy a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited here in Sweden a new Defender would not fit my garage because it is very high, it only has diesel and I dont like diesel because they are noisy and slow. They only have manual box, I prefer auto box after driving about 20 years with manual, I did not now better:) The Defender cost about 10 000 dollars more here. The Defender a cost alot in road tax here. The Defender lacks airbags and have no rear auto windows. The driving position is not so nice. The rear passengers have less room for the feets and have more difficulty to look outside through left and right side.

The Defender have twice the payload the wrangler have and the axles are like Dana 60 as I understanding it and the frame are heavy duty compared to a Wrangler

171-defender-page-5-lrg.jpg

Th Defender rear space is great, its like a room

2920943947.jpg

Older tests I have provided many times before

http://www.chryslergroup.co.za/jeep/interwoven/downloads/media/ShootOutOfTheLegends.pdf

http://www.leisurewheels.co.za/shootouts/wrangler-versus-defender-versus-g-class/

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
The driving of a Defender is more like driving a tractor and and the sitting position is slightly strange and close to the door. The turning circle is more compared to the unlimited Wrangler. I dont think it has a 12V outlet in the rear for a fridge. It lacks alot that new vehicles have in the comfort apartment.

The Defender lacks difflocks in front and rear and dont have the swaybar thing that the Rubicon have. The Defender only have traction control like a Sahara and sport have (The Rubicon also have that)

An old test Andrew did with a old Defender but they are still similar

zelatore

Explorer
As a Rover owner I'm supposed to say the Jeep doesn't stand a chance. But I can't say that.

In terms of absolute technical ability, I think the Rubicon would have to be declared the winner. Dual lockers, disconnecting swaybars, etc. But in terms of an overland style vehicle the Defender comes to the fore. Diesel engine, far more payload, more cargo volume, etc.

I'm curious how they compare price-wise in markets where both are currently available. Of course with the Defender going away this year the whole question will change as the new Defender rolls out.....hopefully in the NA market too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior