Post build ..uh.. build thread.

Bakes5

Love it. Someone just needs to make your west pop top on a regular topper....for about $2500. I like the flip pacs and all but there is just too much fabric and simpler really is better

Great rig

ericvs

Looking bang on! Gotta have the ketchup and all dressed chips hah. They were making ketchup Doritos for awhile last year but they were pretty hard to find.

Thanks! Very happy with it. I still look back when I walk away after parking. Must have done something right. The gf LOVES the chips up in Canada. We always end up with like 10 bags that we bring home. I have not seen ketchup Doritos, but it is now on the radar.

Love it. Someone just needs to make your west pop top on a regular topper....for about $2500. I like the flip pacs and all but there is just too much fabric and simpler really is better. Great rig

Thank you. Yeah, I looked at the flip-pacs before I did this. I agree, too much fabric to deal with in the rain. PNW is wet for about 7 months of the year, don't think the flippac would have cut it. Some friends and I were considering building something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D85A7SWJFw

OR this was even more ideal

http://www.theclamper.com/

But ultimately I had to get rid of my last truck with the canopy before I could get something sorted.

ericvs

Custom Storage pockets

bbN5vQKh.jpg

During our adventures, we always have lots of small stuff that normally gets placed here and there and you can't find it when you need it. I needed some custom storage. I had sort of a no-mans land beside the rear door. It was an odd shape due to the canopy design and sort of out of the way behind the roof lifting rams. It was perfect. I contacted a local seamstress and she got me hooked up with these bad boys.

We chose cordura for the durability aspect. It also matches the canopy fabric very well.

Since we spend lots of time at the beach, we need a broom to minimize the sand. Naturally, this lead to custom broom storage! The pockets are mounted with twist lock connectors, which allow easy removal and re-installation if needed. Honestly though, since we have put them in, I haven't wanted to take them out of the truck.

CkN7p9Oh.jpg

Drivers side storage was all pockets of varying size. Holds a ton of the small stuff.

M9SL4dwh.jpg

So nice having everything within arms reach v. spread out all over the truck.

TCyrbj7h.jpg

Last edited:

KingRanch

Like mentioned this is an idea I have been pondering as well. A flatbed is much better suited for the work I do, but never could pull the trigger because I always wanted an enclosed area like a camper to sleep/keep gear out of the snow. Thanks for posting!

NorCalBronco

Observer
Great rig! Very nicely done and functional. On that last pic, what is the material on top of the box with the raised circle pattern?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericvs

Thanks! I am super happy with the rig and these online responses!

Great rig! Very nicely done and functional. On that last pic, what is the material on top of the box with the raised circle pattern?

The flooring is http://www.lonseal.com/products.cfm. Very happy with it. Durable, but relatively soft on the feet. You can kneel on it w/o issue. I have also dragged tons of stuff across it while moving, it got a bit scuffed, but it is holding up no problem. no tears or deep scratches. I would not have an issue recommending it to anyone.

Tried to balance between camper and utility. For how I use it, I think I did a pretty good job. We can easily set-up an outdoor kitchen, but during the short trips, there is more room for gear.

Last edited:

ericvs

Cali Trip

A friend of mine was getting married in SoCal. We were going to make the beer for the event so we had to drive it down there! 20 gallons of homebrew? Sure thing, just load it in the back seat! We had one of the 5gallon kegs on ice for post driving brews.

rtHQueNh.jpg

Rather than camp in a tent, he figured it would be better to have his '71 bay window down there as he was getting hitched at the San Clemente St beach. (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=646) Awesome spot, btw). So him and his wifetobe would sleep in the VW. Worked out perfect! My gf and his fiancee flew down and him and I drove down. This allowed us to hit a few surf spots and a few kite spots on the way down. Good stuff.

First spot that was picture worthy. Big Sur.

BeqiFl6h.jpg

Here you can see his bay window. Made the entire drive no problem! Good stuff. Just had to do a belt change and oil change 1/2 way. haha. 35mph up some of the hills around LA really helped with my fuel mileage (I stuck behind him just in case)

UNfcIcZh.jpg

But it payed off in having a nice dry spot to eat. Also, looking back at these pics, that baby blue poka dot knife and those picnic plates are awesome!

ayZdLIXh.jpg

20+hrs driving in pouring rain does make stuff wet. Luckily it dried out one morning in Big Sur so we could air out the wet bits from our wet camp nights.

6zLuBEKh.jpg

Heading south on the 101 through Big Sur is a pretty amazing drive. I recommend it to anyone who will listen.

IyJI6Clh.jpg

mK4j9DSh.jpg

GEijlbhh.jpg

IzPeWTUh.jpg

ROoeAyNh.jpg

Made a little detour to Jalama State Park for some wind and scary bigass waves

yccGxYhh.jpg

tofZ9Iih.jpg

Ns0WpZUh.jpg

Made it past the rain, finally socal.

07FCe5hh.jpg

Post wedding fire and chill vibes. What a great night.

1WKW5Zch.jpg

The plan was for us to drive down separate, then he would do the wedding thing and head off on his honeymoon. I offered to tow his rig back to Seattle for him (what are friends for?!). The ol' cummins didn't take issue with this. I drove back and didn't even affect the fuel economy. nice! My only suggestion is to rent a flat bed and not this front wheel carrier. What a PITA. You can't backup with it loaded. I never really thought about it, but you definitely need the ability to to backup lots when you are towing a trailer. Lesson learned.

c3GpyTKh.jpg

Fun trip! Let’s do more.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Always a fan of hitting Jalama to surf on my way south. Looks like one hell of a trip and you got the perfect rig for the job! Keep em comin

ericvs

New Wheels

Well the Toyo MTs reached the end of their useful life. Very happy with them and would recommend them. I figured since I was moving slowly towards all black, no chrome, I might as well start with the wheels. (Please note, bolt heads are not considered Chrome in my book :ylsmoke:)

Here are the originals:
l6IZ1Ojh.jpg

Looked around *forever* and decided on some Method 'Mesh' rims & ******** Cepek Fun Country tires. Went with 17" as that was the stock size, plus the tires were a fair bit cheaper than the 18" tires. Can't go 16" on these trucks w/o doing weird stuff to the brakes. Looked at 16.5" wheels, but decided I don't want to grind anything down to install new rubber.

Here they are waiting to be installed:

mbXhphhh.jpg

Yes, I know they are fake beadlocks. Do you know how hard it is to find rims w/o this option? It is hard, ok! Anyway the gf said it was cool cause it matched the other bolt heads on the truck, so if she likes them, I like them.

oh man, dis gon be good! yup:

X4rPEeKh.jpg

Glam Shot!!
Twc7ptCh.jpg

So far, very happy with the Cepeks. They are wearing nicely and have had no issues with them at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne