Post build ..uh.. build thread.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I usually ramrod the bikes right into the back of the truck. Less than ideal, yes but I don't think I have enough faith in bike racks, my driving, or my memory. I'd be likely to crush the bike between a wall or a tree or someone elses vehicle and the truck trying to park. I thought of a roof rack but I'd likely also forget whats up there and try to duck under a tree. Obviously None of these situations would be ideal.

ericvs

Obviously None of these situations would be ideal.
haha! no doubt. I have actually found that I don't forget about the bikes on the back of the truck because you can see them in the rear view mirror. I have def forgotten about the bikes on the roof though. Maybe something like this should be mandatory with roof mounted bike racks :ylsmoke: :
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2012/02/09/1328823011124-pbysdtolcij7-500-70.jpg

I have also found the side boxes are coming in more handy than just gear storage. #domestic!:

fCNgqygh.jpg

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice grocery getter! One of the things I disliked about my van was that there was no good place for grocery bags. Stuff slid all over the place, and by the time you got home, you'd be crawling all over the inside to retrieve your goods.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
This rig continues to be my favorite on this site :beer: I can also appreciate that you have almost the same hobbies as I do! There's something awesome about being able to duck into a nice warm area to change out of a wetsuit when it's snowing outside. In Virginia, most of the best kiting is during the winter, and up until now I've changed in the parking lot, freezing my butt off. I'm definitely looking forward to building something similar to this for my next big project. :victory:

My thought Is to build pretty much the same thing as yours, but build the side boxes as detachable units so I can use it with a regular bed, and eventually if I decide to add a flatbed I can add the cargo boxes as well. One question I had was how well does it retain heat? It appears to be uninsulated, and was thinking that it would quickly become an oven or an icebox.

Last edited:

ericvs

Wow, thanks for all the kudos! Loving it.

This rig continues to be my favorite on this site :beer: I can also appreciate that you have almost the same hobbies as I do! There's something awesome about being able to duck into a nice warm area to change out of a wetsuit when it's snowing outside. In Virginia, most of the best kiting is during the winter, and up until now I've changed in the parking lot, freezing my butt off. I'm definitely looking forward to building something similar to this for my next big project. :victory:

Dang! That is awesome. Thanks. I am super happy with it and yes, I went through all the standing in the rain with a partial removed wetsuit with people starting at me wondering why I was doing what I was doing, haha. But yeah, roll up, pop the top, turn on heater, hop in relax, change into wetsuit away from prying eyes. Go have session and do the reverse of the arrival afterwards. It is pretty amazing actually. One thing that is pretty funny that I didn't foresee happening. When you change in the parking lot in the cold, you change pretty darn fast. No mucking about. In the rig, usually one person hops in to change and the other person shoots the **** while waiting for the change room. (although we have had three inside at once changing. It was a game of avert your eyes :sombrero:). What ends up happening, is that is it so toasty and warm in there, you sort of slow down and take your time and warm your feet etc. so the person outside sometimes has to knock on the door to get the person moving. Warm and comfortable slows everything down. This isn't an issue, but we always give each other a hard time for the sloth pace.

One question I had was how well does it retain heat? It appears to be uninsulated, and was thinking that it would quickly become an oven or an icebox.

It has insulation in the walls and the roof. The side walls do have those massive windows though and the fabric is only single layer. We do have sunbrella covers for the lower glass windows though, so that sort of acts like a mini insulator. I don't have an R value for you, but it is actually pretty well temp regulated in there. The upper windows have a screen, a clear plastic screen and a privacy screen. In the sun, if you have the privacy screens facing the sun closed and the other sides open to screen, it stays pretty cool inside. In the cold, the heater runs and does a great job at keeping it warm.

One thing that isn't insulated, that I will be doing in the future, is the floor. It gets pretty chilly in the winter on your feet, but the heater puts out enough heat make up for it. :ylsmoke: It hasnt' been a big deal though as it doesn't really get below freezing for too many days in a row, so I just keep my socks on a little longer haha.

We have camped in about 25° weather in Spokane. The heater was running, but it was comfy to sleep with sleeping bags and there wasn't any of condensation with the roof vent running.
I have taken midday naps in Hood River in about 95°+ and been very comfortable, no sleeping bag needed then though.

Overall though, living in the NW, it is pretty temperate, so I don't know if I am a good litmus test for the rest of the continent, but I have not been unhappy with the internal temperatures during my travels. I would say floor insulation and double layer fabric would help though in more extreme conditions.

Thanks!

ericvs

Oregon Rally!

We were down in Oregon kiting on the Columbia river and happened upon the Rally America Oregon stop! Awesome!

Having never been, but really wanting to, we jumped at the chance! Headed up to Dufur, OR and got to take in two stages of the rally. Saw the Subaru factory team and tons of other smaller teams. All fun, all dust.

So close to the action. You would get covered by a thick cloud of dust with each passing car. I was chewing dust for a week.

David Higgins - Oregon Trail rally winner
xNZjbO0h.jpg

Check at 1.12, you can see us on the left side of the road! Awesome!
[video]https://youtu.be/BGYMHUnZ5Ms[/video]

My new rally fan friends!
http://formulaphoto.com/ in the background with the photobomb!
uJD4YYWh.jpg

This was a mother/daughter team! Kristen and Janice Tabor. Way cool!!
Photo credit, Warwick Patterson @ http://formulaphoto.com/
fFxAkThh.jpg

5GUn4Jlh.jpg

#78 David Wallingford / Leanne Junnila (10th overall)
RCqqazZh.jpg

#475 Adam Short / Alix Hakala
hL0bcWZh.jpg

So close to the action.
OsXTVhJh.jpg

End of a fun long weekend! There is still rally dust on the dash I think.
Photo credit, Warwick Patterson @ http://formulaphoto.com/
rqCiwq0h.jpg

Last edited:

ericvs

Weekend!

Another long work week followed by activites paid for by the work week!

Nothing too exciting. Just a small surf trip to the coast followed by a nice (propane) camp fire with some brews followed by am coffee! Twin Harbors state park in Westport, Wa.

Evening pleasantness
JE7ltQXh.jpg

Followed by morning pleasantness!
2JkOcoGh.jpg

Hope you are all out enjoying your rigs.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Real nice rig and write up plus you scored one of the last two years of the 5.9.
I love the Methods but will likely go with the AEV wheels with the size they offer.
Thank you. You're living the life.

PS. One trip to Jalama we were driving down the approach road and a guy kite surfing was going 35+ mph and beat us to the beach. He and another guy were surfing in short johns and booties. They were amazing wind surfers and it was a 5'+ day easy. I had to complement them on their skill level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman