Post build ..uh.. build thread.

chet6.7

Explorer
I always enjoy the pictures. What brand is the cab mounted cargo carrier,are the attachments the same brand as well? Happy with it? Thanks.

ericvs

I always enjoy the pictures. What brand is the cab mounted cargo carrier,are the attachments the same brand as well? Happy with it? Thanks.

Thanks.

The roof rack on the cab is a FrontRunner Slimline II rack. It is 49.5" (1255mm) (w) x 53.5" (1358mm) (l).
If you check out their site, it is the same size rack as these two kits:
Jeep Renegade roof rack: KRJR001T
Pick-up truck load bed rack: KRLB001T

On my '06 quad cab, it fits up there side to side perfectly, just inset enough that it doesn't drip into the door if it is raining. The length is a bit longer so it hangs off the back of the cab roof a bit, but for my setup it works well. You can also easily cut the front runner rack to fit closer to the side of the roof.

viXd4gSh.jpg

I can fit a 35" spare (using the Wheel Clamp: SWCL004) + a front runner double jerry can holder (Dual Jerry can carrier: JCHO004) up there, with the maxtrax in front. The shovel brackets are also Front Runner (Shovel mount: RRAC024). So far, very happy with everything on the roof. It is very easy to add accessories and FR have tons of goodies that can be mounted up there. The mounting brackets were made for me by a friend, but I 'think' front runner has something for pickup roofs in the works.

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
ericvs,thanks for the info.
I called Frontrunner today,the attachment points they use are rivnuts,I am not willing to drill holes in the roof. I might be able to attach the Frontrunner to Yakima bars,but I am not into experimenting with mail order.
Thanks again.

ericvs

ericvs,thanks for the info.
I called Frontrunner today,the attachment points they use are rivnuts,I am not willing to drill holes in the roof. I might be able to attach the Frontrunner to Yakima bars,but I am not into experimenting with mail order.
Thanks again.

yup. I went back and forth forever on this setup. Normally I am very against any extra holes, but I decided that to get the set-up that I wanted, I had to pull the trigger and make some leak points. So far so good, no leaks yet, but we will see. I may end up regretting my decision, but so far I am very happy with the roof rack and the extra space.

That being said, however, Yakima does make a good mount for the Dodge cab. The '06 had an interesting door style that wrapped very far over the roof, because of this the Yakima and thule mounts were, IMO, a bit funky and I didn't like how they worked. I believe that the '14s have a much better system and the door doesn't sit up as high, which would allow the yakima to fit much better. But I wish you good luck as I spent years trying to find the perfect setup.

chet6.7

Explorer
ericvs,I understand your point of view,if I was younger I would probably do the same as you,I don't like not getting what I want on my vehicle.Since I am a stove up senior citizen,I want to make it as easy as possible...I am probably going to get it installed,I would have never done that,even just a couple of years ago.:(

Thanks for the tip on the mounts I will look into it,I don't like funky either.
Thanks again.
Looking forward to your next modification or trip.
Thumbup19[1].gif

fiddypal

Adventurer
Great build thread thanks for sharing! Any advice on custom door panels? I just need something flat to cover the exposed door innards. Then I was thinking about putting a little fold down table like you have, looks very handy.

beachbum2020

Observer
Man I love this rig. Thanks for sharing and continue to share as it evolves and embarks on it's/your adventures. Look forward to each update. If you ever go partially insane, Pacific Ocean regresses several hundred miles or get extremely lost/drunk and wind up on the East coast, would love to see it in person lol. I have a brother in Carolina Beach NC that owns a surf/skate/kite board business that will bribe you with a "Cool Rig" discount incentive and parking lot to set up in across the street from the beach lol. Kidding aside, congrats on being able to live out your "adventure/expedition" dreams. Many just wind up only dreaming for whatever reasons, financial, family, location, job, time, health etc. and never get as far as you have with their "Dream Adventure Vehicle" and have to live out their dreams through the work and adventures of fellow Expedition Portal member's posts and threads. Thanks for posting and for the many ideas/solutions you have provided in your posts. Look forward to many more.

If this link was posted somewhere previously in the thread please excuse and delete/ignore it lol (went back through to check but half asleep lol). I watched this VMI video a while back posted from a 2014(?) Overland Expo showing the VMI bed box. Nice walk through.

https://youtu.be/YiWNunnq0PE

ericvs

I am probably going to get it installed,I would have never done that,even just a couple of years ago.:(
If you do decide to make some more holes, I know that the local rack shop here installed some tracks on my old fibreglass canopy and guaranteed them leak free. With the tracks and installation it was only $175 bucks. Seemed like a good deal to me as I could just head back there if it leaked and have them fix it. Drilling through the cab roof was a different matter, however.

Great build thread thanks for sharing! Any advice on custom door panels? I just need something flat to cover the exposed door innards. Then I was thinking about putting a little fold down table like you have, looks very handy.
The door panel on the back door of mine is just a sheet of aluminum. Worked perfect to mount the table to as I just used RivNuts right into the sheet. Very sturdy. My door is flat though, so it was just a matter of cutting to size and bolting in. If it needs to follow a shape, the AL might not be the best choice. The table is great, so many varieties out there (also probably easy enough to make your own), but it gets lots of use and I am glad I installed it. Thanks!

Man I love this rig. Thanks for sharing and continue to share as it evolves and embarks on it's/your adventures. Look forward to each update. If you ever go partially insane, Pacific Ocean regresses several hundred miles or get extremely lost/drunk and wind up on the East coast, would love to see it in person lol. I have a brother in Carolina Beach NC that owns a surf/skate/kite board business that will bribe you with a "Cool Rig" discount incentive and parking lot to set up in across the street from the beach lol. Kidding aside, congrats on being able to live out your "adventure/expedition" dreams. Many just wind up only dreaming for whatever reasons, financial, family, location, job, time, health etc. and never get as far as you have with their "Dream Adventure Vehicle" and have to live out their dreams through the work and adventures of fellow Expedition Portal member's posts and threads. Thanks for posting and for the many ideas/solutions you have provided in your posts. Look forward to many more.

If this link was posted somewhere previously in the thread please excuse and delete/ignore it lol (went back through to check but half asleep lol). I watched this VMI video a while back posted from a 2014(?) Overland Expo showing the VMI bed box. Nice walk through.

https://youtu.be/YiWNunnq0PE

yup, 2014. The year before the snowpocalypse. Thanks. The parking at your brothers shop sounds amazing. If we make it that way, I will def hit you up. Also, if you make it out to the Wet Coast, you are more than welcome to a tour of the rig (although the video covers most of it :) )

ericvs

Heading to the Gorge next weekend for some big winds and good times.

Found this picture from way back. This is a cool underpass in Stevenson, Washington that we thought deserved a picture. Hwy 14 runs over top.

EC6WMKHh.jpg

And the bridge of the gods is fun too
2cGgcdZh.jpg

ericvs

Nice truck, your camper reminds me of this one.
TCP301.jpg

Whoa, I like that surf board storage idea. Very cool. Do you have a link to a build on this one?

The picture of your truck on the back road is cool,love driving back roads myself,I like Stevenson too.

Me too. I def. don't do enough of it, but I always enjoy when we do.

-------------------

Here are a few more photos of our Rock-Slide Engineering tailgate table in action.
https://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/tailgate-table/

Morning coffee set-up, of course we do lattes cause Seattle. One burner for milk and one for the espresso maker.

ozOBIwVh.jpg

8iJUIDmh.jpg

I installed it so you could close the door with the table deployed. Comes in handy if you have to change quick w/o moving everything

pcUtjMph.jpg

Last edited:

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Amazing purpose-built rig, I am envious!

In a lot of ways it's very similar to what Id' like my own '03 Cummins powered Dodge to look like, eventually.

A couple of questions that you hopefully won't mind answering:

* Have you used your maxtrax in anger yet? If so, how have the held up? I don't have a winch in the budget for my Dodge for a while yet, so I am considering picking up a set to use as insurance in the interim, but most of the reviews I'm finding online have used them with much lighter vehicles.

* Are you happy with your aux fuel filters since you've had them? I'm considering options here and am having a hard time justifying the cost of the high-dollar, high performance pump/filter combos out there when for my needs its likely a supplemental add on filter like your setup would be sufficient since I haven't and don't plan to add more power.

A flat bed, hopefully followed closely by a camper, is in my truck's not-too-distant future; any regrets or things you would do differently?

Thanks for you input, and thanks for sharing your rig and your adventures with us!

ericvs

Amazing purpose-built rig, I am envious!

In a lot of ways it's very similar to what Id' like my own '03 Cummins powered Dodge to look like, eventually.

A couple of questions that you hopefully won't mind answering:

* Have you used your maxtrax in anger yet? If so, how have the held up? I don't have a winch in the budget for my Dodge for a while yet, so I am considering picking up a set to use as insurance in the interim, but most of the reviews I'm finding online have used them with much lighter vehicles.

* Are you happy with your aux fuel filters since you've had them? I'm considering options here and am having a hard time justifying the cost of the high-dollar, high performance pump/filter combos out there when for my needs its likely a supplemental add on filter like your setup would be sufficient since I haven't and don't plan to add more power.

A flat bed, hopefully followed closely by a camper, is in my truck's not-too-distant future; any regrets or things you would do differently?

Thanks for you input, and thanks for sharing your rig and your adventures with us!

Thank you! The reception to my rig is, frankly, a bit overwhelming. haha. Just took all the things I didn't like about my past vehicles and tried to make this one better. I am very happy that everyone is digging it and I hope it is inspiring others. Awesome!

To your questions.

1) No, I actually haven't used my maxtrax even once, (not even happily). I think that is either good or bad depending on your current situation. During my research, the maxtracks seemed like the best option for me as they are very flexy so the weight shouldn't be a problem. My main stuck situation will most likely be sand, so I thought these would work great, I will post up once I have to test them.

2) Yes, very happy with those fuel filters. No drilling installation and standard filters you can buy at any cat dealer. They are tucked up nice and high above the bottom of the frame, so they are protected a bit more from danger. They were also very well priced and the quality, fit & finish was above my expectations. A friend installed one on his dodge and he re-worked one of the hard line hoses that came with the kit. I didn't do this with mine as it seemed to be ok as was, but he likes to tinker.

3) The thing I sometimes think about with mine is maybe building the camper right on the frame of the truck instead of putting it on a flatbed. During my design phase, I wanted it to be removable so I could still utilize the entire flatbed if needed. What I have been finding, however, is that the camper is much bigger inside than I thought so I can put much more gear inside. This has allowed me to leave the camper on and still get the stuff from A to B that I needed. That being said, however, I am very happy with the set-up and have actually used the removable part a few times for some maintenance stuff, so it has worked out in the end.

We got a small leak in the front window from one of the window seals failing. VMI warrantied the work (awesome!). You can see here it was very easy to access the window, so I think having it easily removable still is a good thing:
WwqXQU2h.jpg

Another solution for really big things was to just buy a small trailer to handle any other tasks. :victory: This works too:
vr6HibKh.jpg

Good luck with your rig! Post pictures!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger