Post build ..uh.. build thread.

eevlgoose

@ericvs. super nice rig, love the setup. i was thinking of doing an ARE commercial shell conversion on my ram 1500 but decided to build a trailer instead so i could leave a base camp when i go riding or kayaking with the wife.
i'm trying to finish it for a 3 week trip up to BC this July. on the way up i was gonna hit up Duthie Hill and stop by the Burlington Bike park as well. If you have any other good spots you'd recommend i'd appreciate the info :) And if you wanna come ride that would be rad, wife doesn't ride, so it's usually just my lonesome self. i'm really looking forward to it, getting to ride the north shore, coast gravity park and whistler again, i can't f#*$ing wait.
i welded on a hitch on my trailer so i can put my NSbike rack on there too, i'll be lugging 3 bikes up (2 of them are Bellingham's transition bikes).

take it easy
goose

ericvs

I may not have seen it but what are your sleeping arrangements? Setup looks great. Love the black

Thanks. I missed a good opportunity to take a pic of our sleep set-up, oops. basically I have two separate panels that span between the side boxes that I can bring with me. I can make a single bed or a double bed depending on who is coming on the trip. The GF and I are just short enough (she is 5'-9") to be able to sleep across the rig, which leaves us enough room to have a place to stand and change when the bed is all set up. I sleep against the front window and she sleeps closer to the door as she is an early riser. For taller people, the bed can be extended the full length of the canopy, which would give you a full king size bed. Let me get a shot this weekend of the bed setup.

Real nice rig and write up plus you scored one of the last two years of the 5.9.
I love the Methods but will likely go with the AEV wheels with the size they offer.
Thank you. You're living the life.
Trying! Work keep getting in the way though :ylsmoke:. Yeah, didn't want to go any newer than '07. This badboy popped up and I jumped at the change. Funny, I saw it on CL, called the guy, drove 1.5 hours and drove home in my new rig. I actually looked for about 3 months for a truck. I wanted the two captains chairs v. the bench seat in the front and this was the 1st one I saw. Needed it!

PS. One trip to Jalama we were driving down the approach road and a guy kite surfing was going 35+ mph and beat us to the beach. He and another guy were surfing in short johns and booties. They were amazing wind surfers and it was a 5'+ day easy. I had to complement them on their skill level.

Yes, the guys that kite at Jalama are some of the best in the world right now. Check out TDZ on Vimeo. Amazing stuff on surf boards. I aspire to be anywhere close to their level.

Hope to see you at Jalama one day!

Wow, that is really slick.
Regards
Steve
Thanks!

@ericvs. super nice rig, love the setup. i was thinking of doing an ARE commercial shell conversion on my ram 1500 but decided to build a trailer instead so i could leave a base camp when i go riding or kayaking with the wife.
i'm trying to finish it for a 3 week trip up to BC this July. on the way up i was gonna hit up Duthie Hill and stop by the Burlington Bike park as well. If you have any other good spots you'd recommend i'd appreciate the info :) And if you wanna come ride that would be rad, wife doesn't ride, so it's usually just my lonesome self. i'm really looking forward to it, getting to ride the north shore, coast gravity park and whistler again, i can't f#*$ing wait.
i welded on a hitch on my trailer so i can put my NSbike rack on there too, i'll be lugging 3 bikes up (2 of them are Bellingham's transition bikes).

take it easy
goose

Yup, I had a trailer all lined up to buy, but for the way I use it, it didn't make sense. I had to put the trailer on the truck instead. haha.

For biking. Yes! Hit me up, I would love to ride. I can show you some pretty sweet trails that have been built around here. Burlington is actually closed for an indefinite about of time. They are moving locations and will probably be opening up next year. Whistler and Coast Gravity are still, however, going strong. We hit Whistler up mid June and it was as sick as it always is. I haven't been to CGP but a bunch of my friends have gone and rave about it. Make sure you hit some of the trails on the North Shore and in Squamish on your way up. frojoe (post #25 of this thread) is local and would probably be happy to show you the ropes out there. Also so many trails on Blackcomb are worth your while while you are here. I find it hard to drag myself out of the park when I am there, but it is very much worth it.

I actually work with the brother of one of the owners of transition. Small world. Their bikes are so great! Envious of your trip!

Thanks again (and again) for all the kind words. Very happy with the setup and I feel like I am getting lots of use out of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a difference a year (and a ladies touch) makes.

NWOR 2015, Plain, Wa - batchelors trip. Me and 1aquaholic (with his Fuso: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-home-build-FG-and-looking-for-lots-of-advice) made the trip. Pretty warm. Thankfully the river is close by:
6f50amWh.jpg

and pretty barren camp setup:
IEqhgmbh.jpg

fast forward one year (NWOR 2016), the lady comes along and makes it much more inviting and fun!
DzFaTq4h.png

Plus we had a huge crew! Good stuff. I met many of you guys there this weekend, hope I answered all your questions and gave you a good tour! If you have any further questions or want any pictures of the setup let me know, I would love to accommodate!

2WtU5bwh.png

Excellent!

ericvs

Baja New Years - the prep part

We have family in LA. Winter in Seattle is pretty bleak. Should we head south for Christmas? Yes, yes we should. Hey, since we are already heading in a southerly direction, should we just go a bit further into Baja? Yes, yes we should. Great, let me buy more stuff for the truck! Sounds like a great plan

Being a total newb to Baja, I wanted to make sure I was ready for anything. I read a bunch of books and talked to a bunch of baja regulars and got the low down. Seems pretty chill, but I still wanted to make sure I was covered. I didn't want to be that guy. We were going to make the trip with some friends from Seattle, who have been going to baja for a number of years. We made plans over beers, plotted routes and discussed the highs and lows. We were going to be fine, but what better excuse than a trip to a different country to make some upgrades to your kit?

What do I need? Driving on the beach? Yes. Long stints between fuel stops, yes (?) sure! fuel cans! yes. not much access to ice? yes. Here is my thought process.

1) This one was total fluff, but I always wanted to do the exhaust on the truck, so this was the perfect excuse. I always thought it looked funny just sort of hanging down way below the flatbed. This is the stock location, and it looks like something is wrong. Can't have that!

ZBqFThXh.jpg

Went with a Stainless Flo-Pro 4" turbo back kit. I couldn't figure out how to route it better over the axle and make it look nice, so I opted for a side-dump exhaust. It fit perfectly right at the back of the cab past a hump in the frame.

Ohh, so shiny! Still in the bubble wrap.
NmQG9eJh.jpg

Out with the old (mallet was well used)
wzHHMHXh.jpg

In with the new!
2ALAcKyh.jpg

Being a custom install, had to do a bit of custom hanger fabrication. Luckily, my friend is good at that welding thing:
smHrHp0h.jpg

XlvOhMSh.jpg

Fits nice and tight:

h5eufVmh.jpg

FldikpOh.jpg

ab8cE2Ch.jpg

Good. Upgrade #1 done.

2) Next thing was a table on the back door. We frequently prepare food back there and end up blocking the access to the back with the food paraphernalia. I saw this really cool table from RockSlide Engineering at the NWOR last year, so I picked it up. Fits the bill perfect.

It is a 2-level table. Went back and forth on this too. A single level table, in my mind, would get filled up straight away and no room for activities. This table allowed ~1.75x the space, based on my loose calculations. It works great for our use. I used some riv nuts so I can remove it very easily if needed
DCYiaffh.jpg

Tucks away nice and flat
o49ZMp5h.jpg

w5GYSjoh.jpg

Good. Upgrade #2 done.

3) Ok, purchased a fridge. Went back and forth forever on this decision, but ultimately, we are very happy with it and I think I made the right call. The fridge had some requirements though, for the LA portion of the trip (and other trips), the fridge needed to live in the back of the camper as we were using the backseats to shuttle people around when down there. It also had to fit with the full bed as we would be using the bed for our trip down and time in LA. When in Baja it was going to have to live in the backseat as we wanted max space in the back for living.

Measured, made templates, fretted, gave up, looked at my coolers again, got back into it and settled on the 50qt ARB. They have an office in Renton (just south of Seattle) So I was able to order and pickup without having to pay for shipping. That was nice.

We had to modify one of the removable bed panels in the back to get everything to fit, so now the one panel works perfect with the single mattress and the other works perfect with a double mattress + fridge!

a9BMfeFh.jpg

Just doesn't quite clear with the top down in the back:
StGErFNh.jpg

backseat is great though, it clears the roof by many inches
ajU4Sd5h.jpg

Good. Upgrade #3 complete.

4) Misc upgrades + stuff

Upgraded to a better BBQ. Got a Napoleon Q285 grill. Fit perfect in the side box with the camp table. Good stuff. Burgers for days!

F0XEBaOh.jpg

Filtration. Wanted better filtration for my fuel. Got this dual filter kit from http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/

The stock dodge filter for the cummins doesn't filter down to the level that cummins recommends for their injectors. weird. This kit takes the filtration down the the spec level + an extra water filter. This kit requires no drilling and uses standard filters that you can buy anywhere. This is a great kit for the dodge diesels.

oGErv7Xh.jpg

Figured I needed some bigger shackles. Got a set of these from ARB.
CKB9X8Gh.jpg

Getting stuck was not an option, so I opted to go with MaxTrax. They are spendy, but I believe that they were the right choice for the trip down there.
they are still shiny!
xX4K9Frh.jpg

Good. Upgrade #4 complete.

5) big upgrade. Wanted to do a roof rack for some time on the truck. I wanted a bit more usable space and figured the cab needed some love too. Looked at many, many roof racks. Tried Yakima & Thule. Those didn't work how I wanted. Looked harder. Rhino racks? Front Runner? None of them made a rack for the '06. What to do? Decided I liked the Front Runner racks the most as they were sort of squared off and abrupt like the canopy poriton. Needed some custom brackets. Have a different fabricator friend? Yup. This was his solution (ignore the tracks further inside, those were test dummies):

RH7mSuch.jpg

Heck yeah!!

DQexXW8h.jpg

Wow, this keeps getting better

QEIYax8h.jpg

Oh, awesome, the maxtrax fit up there just great too
2b7BIGTh.jpg

Spare tire as well? Sure, why not!
b6TTD8bh.jpg

Nice! Looking Baja ready! Now just have to actually do the trip!
2o3hjbzh.jpg

Last edited:

crackerjack

Observer
maybe i missed them but would you have any pics of the sleeping arrangement? also, do you think that this setup would sleep a family of 4 (two small children)?

Awesome truck, so well thought out.
thanks

ericvs

Sleeping arangements

I may not have seen it but what are your sleeping arrangements? Setup looks great. Love the black
Thanks!

Ok, couple requests for how we have our bed setup. The truck flatbed is 84"x84". The upper portion of the walls slope in, so the higher you go, the more the walls come in. Where the bed is, however, it is still ~84" wide. I have three separate panels that span between the interior side boxes. This allows me to have either a platform for a single mattress (side to side, not front to back). Adding the 2nd panel adds a platform for a double mattress. If you put the third panel in place, this completely fills the gap front to back and side to side. This would allow you to fit a king size mattress (76"(w) x80"(l) ), with room to spare. For our trips together, we just use the double mattress size as that is the same size as we sleep on at home so it is perfect.

Here you can see the side boxes in side the camper. The bed panels actually sit on top of the 'L' track that is in there so the bed platform is flush from side to side.
jmqBrjwh.jpg

Here we have two bed panels with a double mattress on top. From the bottom of the bed panels to the floor is ~14" so still lots of space to store stuff under the bed. That space gets well used.
ZXISUzmh.jpg

We have two Poler Napsacks, so we each get our own sleeping containment unit, haha. We are able to sleep side to side in the truck, which is great as it leaves a decent sized open area for standing or putting your legs down. She always get up first so I get to sleep next to the front window. Still lots of head room even with the surf boards on the roof.

D5VzG1lh.jpg

TGyMPGVh.jpg

Still leaves lots of room to stand even with the double mattress in place.

kyj2Ojzh.jpg

maybe i missed them but would you have any pics of the sleeping arrangement? also, do you think that this setup would sleep a family of 4 (two small children)?
Awesome truck, so well thought out.
thanks

Thanks! For sleeping with kiddos, if you can all fit on a king mattress, then no issues there. If you need separate sleeping arrangements, I think you could easily add a bunk on either side that hang from the roof for small humans to sleep. This would encroach on the standing area, but only when they are deployed. You could also have the kids sleep on the lower level. The floor space down there is 44" (w) x 5'8" (l). Couple of sleeping pads and they would be all set.

Also, as a side note, I can comfortably sleep in one of the side boxes, so there is always that option :)

Good stuff! Thanks for all the positive comments!

Last edited:

aaen

Adventurer
Well that's it I'm canceling my membership to this forum and throwing my computer out the window.
It's awesome builds like this that make me constantly rethink what I want/need with my Tacoma. Grrr! Hate all of you!!!

All kidding a side, that is really a well thought out rig. Best of luck on the trip to Baja, I have a few trips I'm loose's planning in my head if I can ever get back to full time work again.

Regards

Steve

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nice job! Here's the name of a Mexican insurance agency in San Diego close to I-5.
Sometimes it's cheaper to get a 90 day anytime policy than buying a shorter term policy from the border kiosks.
They also sell visas too saving you a step.

http://www.discoverbaja.com/
I've used them many times in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger