multipurpose trailer canopy & roof top tent build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1store

Banned
A multipurpose trailer haft chuck wagon & roof top tent build.
This trailer will be 72'' long by 44&1/4' wide 20'' deep the canopy will be the same.
The roof top tent will be 56 wide 70'' long.

Picked up Wednesday Two 20 foot by two X two 1/8 wall
5 feet of 3x3 1/8 wall
4feet of 2.5 x 2.5'' 1/4'' wall for a removable tongue design for flexibility in length

Last edited:

1store

Banned
PaulzOx any input will be great.
Back when I was in welding school . The worst thing was heat on the metal.So by cutting on a 45% to do the joints is better than a butt weld and welding a end cap.
When using tube it is best to fell with spray foam .So it will not rust from the in side out. Using a 45% helps the foam get in all corners . Foam helps with rust on jeep tailgate to.
The smaller 2x2 is welded to the top of the frame in the corners
small.jpg

Last edited:

1store

Banned
GG.jpg

This picture is misleading . The uprights get caped then welded to the top of the frame rails .Then what ever i use for the sides will bolt to the 2X2 up rights

1store

Banned
uprights

The trailers I build. I like to use inboard supports. There some that use out side supports .Just some thing to have a tree to hang on.No mad Max look .Seen one that has a $1000 Over the Tub Rack.
With this set up every thing runs from the frame to the top. No need to buy Roof Rack .
trailer%20for%20sale%20006_zpsejdmyzxe.jpg

Attachments

• trailer20for20sale20006_zpsejdmyzxelitte3.jpg
    trailer20for20sale20006_zpsejdmyzxelitte3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 101
  • litte2.jpg
    litte2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

1store

Banned
Swapped for a roll of camouflage material

Swapped for a roll of camouflage material . It was used for water bottle covers .
I'll use this for my calmshell tent sides and rain flap.
sleeper20002_zpsmy05f9zc.jpg

1store

Banned
condensation

I have had a few ask about the foam. On square tube frames you get condensation from the air in the tubes
When it gets cold . It start to rust from the inside out. The foam replaces the air. It cost $10.00 are so and adds just a few pounds . Don't you want your great grand kids to give it to their kids?

Last edited:

1store

Banned
Verkstad Thank you for the in put .I will give linseed oil, a try . I will worry a little if I get a deep dent that makes a small crack

Sikocycles I will be welding on a 1/2 thick table . It;s being used at this time.

phillyboy Thanks for stopping buy.

1store

Banned
I started to think about using linseed oil, will go with the foam . As I'll be using a wood floor with screws .So no way to keep air out over time.

I now have the wood for the floor. I had it cut 1/2''less than 6 foot . That left a four foot piece left over .Then cut down 1/2'' less for how wide the trailer is..Now to work glue in to all the voids

IMG_03401_zpsrqqnnimr.jpg

Last edited:

1store

Banned
This trailer is going to be a M416 -style.
So to day I ordered a tool box that look like a jeep can for $90.00 there on sale to day 1/2 off from e]trailer.com
RA86619_7_250_zpsfgdqgzkr.jpg

Attachments

• RA86619_7_250.jpg
    RA86619_7_250.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:

1store

Banned
I receive my toll box today it look just like a gas can . My grandson call it a stash box and wants to use it .Mmmmm
Now that I have the webbing can start on the clamshell tent.
Going today and clamp the frame to a 1/2 thick table and start to weld. ordered my fiberglass tub . Had them send a video how they made them . Trying to post no luck. will have to find a 5 yr old.

IMG_03731_zpsuonc02fj.jpg
]

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah77/sstore1/IMG_03731_zpsuonc02fj.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior