Simple kind of van, a 2006 e150 build thread.

thanks for the links shane.

I've got detailers coming to the shop tomorrow (they come every tuesday to wash the cars) and I'm going to turn him loose on the rubber mat. if that doesn't work, ill look for something else.

got my sound deadening (thanks amazon) today, i went with "stinger roadkill" as i found it the best between $$ and spec.

1BAE75C3-FA1C-43DC-8971-111D737A9D41_zps4trs5dgu.jpg

tonight i only did the front part of the van, just where the floor mat goes, but it definitely makes it thud instead of tinny.

drivers side

B5BA2852-22D7-4AC1-8DDC-3802C2FC9DF3_zpsq6e145zz.jpg

passenger side

A61AF50A-72E2-497E-ABFB-0C0F4565E768_zps1as1w4bm.jpg

overall view

9CBC3513-160B-49B3-881E-622AF036E237_zpsgxgbebgm.jpg

i didn't do the spots under the seats, not going to cover the entire van, but i will be doing the "tiles" approach on the panels and in the doors, just to give each panel something to soak up the vibes.

detailer laid the beat down on the rubber mat and got it about 95% clean, good-e-nuff for me. sprayed the underside with 3m super 90, put the factory padding under, and installed the floor mat into the van, then put the seats back in, now its drivable again.

STOKED.

472386B6-3F81-4434-82DE-ECD194EF4E2B_zpsung7qy4x.jpg

02C69730-9178-4A00-ABA3-5C81E4805767_zpsq1oq1ery.jpg

4B52A980-836A-4C03-8594-6D96F9D75C87_zps7lxcfsi8.jpg

not going to be any progress for a few days, works busy and i gotta rustle up some more $ to get things started. speaking of which, which is better, starting with the floor, or starting with the walls? also, I'm going to get it weighed before i carry on, so i know how much weight the conversion adds.

thanks for looking.

Not much to update.

Picked up a set of rear pop out windows from member Philos yesterday, great meeting and shooting the breeze with ya Shane.

Didn't get any pics, was dumpin rain by the time I came home. but will hopefully get em installed this week.

still haven't gotten to the pop out windows yet, but i have accomplished a few steps.

i ordered the bedrug vrf92 for the rb ford van. it comes in tomorrow, curious to check it out.

i started making a hitch hauler for my dual sport, villageidiot style.

the way i have done my hitch haulers in the past (this is number 4) is to have 2 separate hitches on the outside of my regular trailer hitch, and I've made a big platform to hold stuff, all welded together, and it ends up being a huge monster thats a pain in the neck to put on and off.

this one will be the same, but different.

got the receivers from the hitch supply place, as well as the inner hitch piece. ($110, for 2 receivers, 2 inner pieces, and 2 pins/clips)

bought a 7' piece of 2"x2" box tube 3/16" wall, and 4 6"x6"triangle gusset plates from industrial metal supply ($30)

heres the inner hitch pieces, with a 3" riser, and a piece of 2x2 in mock up form, and a gusset laid across

1E675597-E6DE-433C-A6D6-8AE38B6FE213_zpsyrjtkrq1.jpg

all my pieces cut and laid together, i got as far as tacking em together tonite, will finish weld tomorrow, as well as weld the gussets and install the 2 receiver hitches.
D85A5BCB-3158-4648-A676-C167AA17FE38_zpsrwhgeeri.jpg

3D23A16E-FA84-424F-B02B-E2E6CC5D51D2_zpse5ucrk1t.jpg

the long legs are 32" ill have a channel (still have to source) that bolts to the legs so i can install both legs, then bolt the bike channel to them, it will store easier, and be lighter to install. ill also have a ramp that bolts to the legs with wing nuts.

Campbulance

Observer
got the bed rug today, lightning fast via amazon, and a great price too.

http://www.amazon.com/Bedrug-VRF92-VanRug-Cargo-Van/dp/B000BN3TF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451439905&sr=8-1&keywords=vrf92

didnt take it out of the box yet, but i did open it up, completely surprised how LIGHT it is, seems like a great product, and for about 1/3 the cost of what i was going to do (foam layer, plywood, vinyl floor).

thanks for the tip on that shane.:sombrero:

I bought a bedrug also. I love mine. It looks great fits fairly well(not perfect but close enough. you can actually be on your knees and the ribs on the floor pan dont hurt. For the money it it hard to beat. I just have to figure out if I want to cut it around my cabinets or place the cabinets on top. I have a futon bed in my van right now and it may have left a permanent deformation where the legs sit.

philos

Explorer
Vacuum it OUTSIDE the van on both sides before you install. There's little shreds of foam from where the factory shapes the bottom for the ribs. The factory does clean it, but there's going to be leftovers.

Sent via flux capacitor

I think I'm going to put the bedrug down, and then run load track from left to right across the van in a few rows, that way the cabinets and bed bolt down to the load track, and it can be removed to transport larger things/household stuff.

still working on the hitch hauler, made a bunch of progress, but still have a little left to go.

the side hitches are on and welded, "legs" (not sure what to call them, but the part that goes into the hitch) are welded and double gusseted, got the ramp stop cut and welded on (spool mate hooked to the miller is awesome!!) and took the "tray" home to test fit it for its precious cargo.

heres the weekends pics, though the only thing i did this weekend was the tray and the stop, the rest was done at night and hard to get a pic outside in the dark.

419E7DF2-4AA5-47AC-BF5D-E1F5AE900A74_zpsomrlaym0.jpg

B720B07E-CCF4-48E4-AAA8-D2C25B92D6C5_zpsmqhwio7x.jpg

669F6C04-5BC8-4B42-9AD0-E06992E2755A_zpsvsh4gpkj.jpg

872AB714-3BD3-4FFA-9B92-4273A9E4AD37_zps7jcuytui.jpg

once i get the tray cut to length, ill put the legs back into the hitches, and square em up and mark out where the holes and everything are going to be on the tray etc, and get to drilling. the tray will be held on with (4) 3/8" bolts/nuts so it can be knocked down for storage, and because the whole thing has got to weight lost to 100lbs fully assembled. i also need to weld hook loops onto the legs for the straps. hoping i can get it all sorted out before the weekend, because rain is coming and i wanna go riding.

Raul

Adventurer
Great job. I've been thinking on that set up for quite a while. Putting the interior tie points on the bumper itself will make it even more stable. I use to carry a DR650 with a single hitch carrier and tying the straps to the bumper ends got rid of any wobble.

Could you please show more detail on how have you set the double hitch receivers?

Great job. I've been thinking on that set up for quite a while. Putting the interior tie points on the bumper itself will make it even more stable. I use to carry a DR650 with a single hitch carrier and tying the straps to the bumper ends got rid of any wobble.

Could you please show more detail on how have you set the double hitch receivers?

the outboard hitches are welded to the sides of the main trailer hitch. fully welded all the way around. if they come off, i don't want to be alive. there is no wobble with a setup like this. by the time the ramp gets bolted to the legs, it gets real stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94