I love it when a plan comes together....



This is what the 'Pullmax' style die looked like mounted in a simple spring return holder. The guide rods are 0.120" wall x 0.750" pins inside some 1" OD sleeves. The springs are a #51 from the local ACE hardware store.

The entire contraption is installed in my HF 20 ton press....

I had someone ask me to make a video about how it works.

https://youtu.be/B-ZI00D0MTQ

Sorry it is long and pretty boring. Overall the concept worked really well for the time invested. It makes me want to get a real pullmax machine! This is a good tool option to have in your back pocket in a home shop. I think it could be improved upon by making a universal holder for the dies. Basically something that could clamp the die. The dies could also be made of something like derlin or HDPE for sheetmetal work. That probably wouldn't ding up the material.



This was the 1st section of bend that I made...

So why all the fuss....



Since I raised the rear belt line of the chassis about 3" from stock, the door post didn't line up any longer. The little tool made the outside section of the door seal area. I bent up a small 90 section that overlapped in the door latch area and tied back into the cage B-pillar post. The top cap is 1/8" material and I kept a hole in the top to allow me to pin in the future upper door surround. I also added another 8mm mounting bolt in case I want to raise the door latch/striker up a bit.



I decided to try and push my skills a little bit by TIG welding the entire assembly into place. While I may be getting half way decent at welding on the bench, welding out of position on thin metal is still a challenge for sure. I am having pretty good luck with .045 filler for thin sheetmetal. That seems to really make a difference.



I think the TIG makes for a little easier clean up since you have more control of the heat input vs filler material height. The new air compressor is SOOO nice for cleaning up stuff like this. I was able to use a die grinder with a 3" cut off wheel to remove the proud part of the weld really quick. Then used a 2" roll-lock pad on the angle grinder with a 36gr-80gr-Scothbrite series to make things look pretty dang decent. It isn't perfect, but a little high build primer or a skim of filler....way good enough for me.

Onto the other side....