IIHS Crash Tests of 2016 Trucks

OCD Overland

Explorer
I think you are missing the point here; it has nothing to do with breaking; on a one lane road with a vehicle going in opposite directions; someone comes over the center line and BAM! Obviously in a truck physics helps and it will win over a car but if you put truck vs truck? or truck vs cement median? this is were the results show how strong or weak certain parts of the vehicle are.
It's all relevant. I mean, if you don't see something and just hit it, then crash worthiness is everything. But if you have time to react, then maybe braking ability outweighs crash worthiness. I've taken a couple of driving courses and even though they were track oriented, there's a lot to learn about vehicle dynamics that is applicable on the road. One thing that gets pounded into your head in those classes is 'brake first, steer later'. The more speed you can scrub off, the more likely the car will keep traction when you do steer.

zelatore

Explorer
All this info and videos give me pause.....
Seems like defensive driving..... and engaging our brains on driving....while driving.... needs to be bumped up a several notches!
Yes, I'm as guilty as the average driver at being a complacent driver.
Seeing these wrecks, plus the ones on our highways, reminds me that driving is a gamble... With a HUGE ante!
Be smart, and careful. Don't use those crumple zones!

Which goes back to my original point that a good handling car is a safer vehicle than a poor handling truck/SUV.....assuming the driver is actually driving and not just a passenger who happens to be in the driver's seat.

I'll take my safety 'active' instead of 'passive' please.

zelatore

Explorer
It's all relevant. I mean, if you don't see something and just hit it, then crash worthiness is everything. But if you ave time to react, then maybe braking ability outweighs crash worthiness. I've taken a couple of driving courses and even though they were track oriented, there's a lot to learn about vehicle dynamics that is applicable on the road. One thing that gets pounded into your head in those classes is 'brake first, steer later'. The more speed you can scrub off, the more likely the car will keep traction when you do steer.

You are spot on that most people would benefit from on-track driver training. Not that I want to teach everybody to race, but they could at least begin to get an understanding of vehicle dynamics. Unfortunately when you try to tell somebody they should consider sending their kids to a track day school they generally get all bunged up and say 'I don't want to make him a race car driver'...of course Ma and Pa probably can't drive for $hit either in that case so like parent, like child.

No, much better to just let the government legislate in more cost/weight/complexity in the name of safety based on the lowest possible common denominator that is the american driver.

uh-oh....*warning* *warning* thread drift alert!

OCD Overland

Explorer
I wish someone would do a 'track day' for people who buy travel trailers. One of the things I want to do when we get our truck/trailer combo is to find someplace where I can do some mild testing to see how it all handles. It pays to at least have some sense of what the limits are.

Just have to be sure not to destroy both of the new toys in the process. :smiley_drive:

Freebird

Adventurer
P nut: all true, occasionally it is only "Wrong place, Wrong time"....
But it makes VERY good sense to stack the deck (your deck) in your favor! You/we have that ability.
Not always winning, of course, but good skills, plus situation awareness/anticipation of what is developing in front of you, makes a large difference almost all of of the time.
I know I should be better at defensive driving. I suspect I have a lot of company.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For sure. So many variables out there. Sometimes doesn't matter what the crash test rating is.
_
Old video its a Nissan unibody SUV in Russia being obliterated by a Kenworth probably hauling 80,000 lbs. Driver was nearly in the grave long before he spun across into oncoming traffic.

The other guy spinning across into you is a big threat that most drivers never consider, and oddly very few people seem to slow when they see these starting to happen then are surprised when they have a vehicle if vehicles coming at them or across their path.

justbecause

perpetually lost
6.1.3 – Brake Early
Control your speed whether fully loaded or empty.
Large combination vehicles take longer to stop
when they are empty than when they are fully
loaded. When lightly loaded, the very stiff
suspension springs and strong brakes give poor
traction and make it very easy to lock up the
wheels. Your trailer can swing out and strike other
vehicles. Your tractor can jackknife very quickly.
You also must be very careful about driving
"bobtail" tractors (tractors without semitrailers).
Tests have shown that bobtails can be very hard to
stop smoothly. It takes them longer to stop than a
tractor-semitrailer loaded to maximum gross
weight.

looks like that info is specific to big rigs, only the 1-ton GMC had a shorter braking distance loaded than unloaded in this test. http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-brake-tests.html

I wonder what difference a stiffer suspension would make on a passenger trucks braking distance.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Which goes back to my original point that a good handling car is a safer vehicle than a poor handling truck/SUV.....assuming the driver is actually driving and not just a passenger who happens to be in the driver's seat.

I'll take my safety 'active' instead of 'passive' please.

Yes and its worse today with the texting and driving. Which is why I sadly agree that all new vehicles should have the eyesight systems and lane assist and self stopping capability. Rear end accidents would be eliminated, pedestrian and cyclist accidents would be reduced.

Most recent bad crash near here was on our legendary road of death Highway 12 between Suisun CA and Lodi CA. Young mothers and kids in a Civic passing traffic on a very dangerous two lane known for head ons. They cut back into their lane lost control and crossed into the path of a Chevy pickup 4dr. Killed 5 in the civic also no evidence of seat belts used or kids safety seats. 3 moms two kids. The 4 in the truck were really banged up but lived. I wouldnt consider them lucky to be in a truck I'd say they were just plum lucky period.

F40

Adventurer
Comparing a standard F150 to the Raptor isn't a fair comparison as the Raptor uses a frame unique to itself, the underpinnings are quite different as well.

r3run33

Adventurer
many of us change the front bumper and add a winch; anyone know of crash test with these type of changes? anyone have an ARB bump crash test? obviously it would help us before the other vehicle but just curious how things go. also if you look up and see the Jeep Wrangler test the jeep slides actually away from the barrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior