IIHS Crash Tests of 2016 Trucks

r3run33

Adventurer
obviously i'm not gonna be running this type of speed but I have seen these crashes before in real world highway rolls for pickups

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I dont know if its as true for 1/2 tons. but 3/4 ton + vehicles perform better loaded. Their suspension and brakes are designed in a way they work best when at weight. A loaded 18 wheeler stops in a shorter distance than an unloaded one.

while the weight probably doesnt do the structure of the truck any favors in a crash, it should be better at avoiding the crash when loaded.

I would have to agree, our Chevy diesel brakes better with a load putting weight on the rear tires than it does empty, probably due to increased contact patch between the tires and the road that an empty bed does not provide.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wait, so somehow Newton's law no longer applies to 3/4 ton and big rigs? :)

An empty truck bed does not provide much braking traction for the rear tires, I know on our truck the rear tires will break loose easier while braking when empty than when loaded. Also part of the reason you will see trucks with sand bags in the bed during the winter to help provide traction.

p nut

butter
Crash tests are one thing. Real crashes are another.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates

I'm trying to figure out what that chart really says. They just seem to be all over the place. Same make truck is on two different ends of scale--i.e. Silverado has one of the least amount of deaths, but also the most. Ram is similar. It's more confusing than anything else, to me.
_
Also note the total exposure:

Dodge------633,544
Chevy------560,209
Ford------1,772,019
Toyota------942,911

OCD Overland

Explorer
An empty truck bed does not provide much braking traction for the rear tires, I know on our truck the rear tires will break loose easier while braking when empty than when loaded. Also part of the reason you will see trucks with sand bags in the bed during the winter to help provide traction.

I've always been skeptical about that. Not that it doesn't make sense on a certain level, but it's just that its always presented rather matter of factly, and I don't think I've ever seen anything concrete to back it up. The logic makes sense, but then on the other hand, if you apply that to all other vehicles and say that more weight means more friction and faster stopping - well, we know that's not true. The friction increases, but not at a fast enough rate to make up for the added momentum. I think it depends on the rate of increase in friction - if it starts off at a substantial rate, then the rate decreases, then I can see this holding true. But if the rate is linear, then probably not.

Sounds like a good experiment for Mythbusters.

p nut

butter

I was more or less just giving him crap :), but although big rigs may benefit from more weight, I still have a hard time with trucks. Front wheel does almost all of the braking. The reason I put sand bags in my truck is for traction when accelerating, not braking.
_
Also found this:
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2015/01/2015-light-duty-v-8-challenge-braking.html
_
On couple of the truck, the extra weight helped (although by a measly couple feet), but rest faired worse.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm trying to figure out what that chart really says. They just seem to be all over the place. Same make truck is on two different ends of scale--i.e. Silverado has one of the least amount of deaths, but also the most. Ram is similar. It's more confusing than anything else, to me.
_
Also note the total exposure:

Dodge------633,544
Chevy------560,209
Ford------1,772,019
Toyota------942,911

I think you have to weigh it all to gain some sense of perspective. Looking at real world accident rates may say something about the crash worthiness of the vehicle, or it may say more about who buys those vehicles and how they are used. A 2WD Ford, for example, might be driven mostly by fleet operators and old geezers and perhaps in relation to other trucks, doesn't see as much highway use.

Last edited:

r3run33

Adventurer
I think you are missing the point here; it has nothing to do with breaking; on a one lane road with a vehicle going in opposite directions; someone comes over the center line and BAM! Obviously in a truck physics helps and it will win over a car but if you put truck vs truck? or truck vs cement median? this is were the results show how strong or weak certain parts of the vehicle are.

Freebird

Adventurer
All this info and videos give me pause.....
Seems like defensive driving..... and engaging our brains on driving....while driving.... needs to be bumped up a several notches!
Yes, I'm as guilty as the average driver at being a complacent driver.
Seeing these wrecks, plus the ones on our highways, reminds me that driving is a gamble... With a HUGE ante!
Be smart, and careful. Don't use those crumple zones!

OCD Overland

Explorer
I was more or less just giving him crap :), but although big rigs may benefit from more weight, I still have a hard time with trucks. Front wheel does almost all of the braking. The reason I put sand bags in my truck is for traction when accelerating, not braking.
_
Also found this:
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2015/01/2015-light-duty-v-8-challenge-braking.html
_
On couple of the truck, the extra weight helped (although by a measly couple feet), but rest faired worse.

That's interesting, especially since the Chevy and GMC reacted completely differently, and they're essentially the same truck, no?

r3run33

Adventurer
also with the death per vehicle rates; you have to consider who is driving, and also what they are driving and where
how many people drive a F150 for work that crash etc. some of these are not your daily drivers etc

p nut

butter
All this info and videos give me pause.....
Seems like defensive driving..... and engaging our brains on driving....while driving.... needs to be bumped up a several notches!
Yes, I'm as guilty as the average driver at being a complacent driver.
Seeing these wrecks, plus the ones on our highways, reminds me that driving is a gamble... With a HUGE ante!
Be smart, and careful. Don't use those crumple zones!

For sure. So many variables out there. Sometimes doesn't matter what the crash test rating is.
_

p nut

butter
That's interesting, especially since the Chevy and GMC reacted completely differently, and they're essentially the same truck, no?

That's what was confusing to me, as well. From the article, it seemed the ABS system acted totally different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12