Colorado Expedition Trailer Build

viperdriver

Observer
Hey Marty, could you send me the information on your local suppliers? Im also in Denver and starting the build on my trailer and I really love the marine grade HDPE and Im thinking im gonna go that route too. Ive very very minimal welding experience so Id also appreciate the shop you bought your RTT framing materials from so I can pick their brains. Thanks and if youre interesting in what Im working with, I started a build thread the other day too.

-Matt

Martyinco

Adventurer
Hey Marty, could you send me the information on your local suppliers? Im also in Denver and starting the build on my trailer and I really love the marine grade HDPE and Im thinking im gonna go that route too. Ive very very minimal welding experience so Id also appreciate the shop you bought your RTT framing materials from so I can pick their brains. Thanks and if youre interesting in what Im working with, I started a build thread the other day too.

-Matt

Hey Matt, I used K&K Surplus for all my metal http://www.kksurplus.com/ I bought everything there for the frame, sides, and RTT frame up top. Great small family owned business and always great prices. The HDPE I bought from Curbell Plastics Inc http://www.curbellplastics.com they have a local place Airport Cir. over in Aurora. Great people to work with and answered all my questions I ever had. If you ever had welding questions or anything just let me know, I've done it long enough :)

colorado matt

Adventurer
this winter I counted on snow paying for my supplies (read .. I do snow removal) sadly we have been out only twice so far (read praying for march snow hell) .... it is more of a wish list than a supply list so far ... and speaking of lists .. have you kept a running cost of materials ?... again because I am clueless on such things but curious about ballpark on steel .... my trailer in my mind is EXTREMELY close to yours and the hdpe ,axle rims tires and actuators I can estimate ..... very much like your approach also of building a rolling box and adding things in stages .... I think you are ways ahead of most builds in that it will get what it needs as time progresses and be used along the way .. to me that seems so smart ... also curious as to your total length and a measurement as to where the axle falls in that length .... Matt

Martyinco

Adventurer
this winter I counted on snow paying for my supplies (read .. I do snow removal) sadly we have been out only twice so far (read praying for march snow hell) .... it is more of a wish list than a supply list so far ... and speaking of lists .. have you kept a running cost of materials ?... again because I am clueless on such things but curious about ballpark on steel .... my trailer in my mind is EXTREMELY close to yours and the hdpe ,axle rims tires and actuators I can estimate ..... very much like your approach also of building a rolling box and adding things in stages .... I think you are ways ahead of most builds in that it will get what it needs as time progresses and be used along the way .. to me that seems so smart ... also curious as to your total length and a measurement as to where the axle falls in that length .... Matt

I have it written down at home as far as price goes, but steel, axles, wheels/tires, hdpe, lights, misc wireing, I am, hovering right around $1100 or so if I remember right. Being able to use it as it got built up was a large selling point to my wife to let me build it lol. I realize you're in Ft Collins so going to K&K may be counterproductive in saving money, but the big advantage I have with them is they are in unincorporated Adams County, which means very low tax rate, and its a mom and pop shop so their steel prices are very affordable.

Martyinco

Adventurer

Forgot to answer the length question, I will measure tonight when I get home, I have my drawings on my home computer. :)

colorado matt

Adventurer
thank you sir .... don't mind an hour to get a good deal .... have not priced any steel yet but have heard from more than one person that driving into denver is the way to go ... local places here "are insane" is what one friend said ... thanks again ... Matt

Xrunner

Explorer
thank you sir .... don't mind an hour to get a good deal .... have not priced any steel yet but have heard from more than one person that driving into denver is the way to go ... local places here "are insane" is what one friend said ... thanks again ... Matt

On a side note I've had good luck with Revelation Steel in Greeley.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Finally some updates will be happening to the trailer, ordered my Linear Actuators yesterday, I got my fenders bent up and ready to install, and finally got all the metal to finish off the tailgate/cooking area. Should be a good time camping this summer :)

CyprusTM

Do you use a mig welder? What would be the cheapest i can buy in order to weld and repair a old trailer i am trying to convert into a rtt? Thanks

Martyinco

Adventurer
Do you use a mig welder? What would be the cheapest i can buy in order to weld and repair a old trailer i am trying to convert into a rtt? Thanks

I do use a MIG welder, Eastwood Co makes affordable welders that are still good quality, I think the price is sub $300 American, I would look into theirs.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Not 100% trailer related, but I went a little crazy shopping over the weekend and upgraded my welding situation, no more 120v (although it does run on both) and the capability to do MIG, Stick, and TIG.
IMG_5226.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior