Colorado Expedition Trailer Build

Martyinco

Adventurer
So the camping trip finally happened :wings: I will let the pictures do the talking :)

Setup 1.jpg
Setup 2.jpg
Setup 3.jpg

You're making great progress with your build! When you get a chance, would you mind posting up your inside and outside tube dimensions for your telescoping rack? Thanks and nice work!

The width of the rack is 52" by 73" long I used 1.25" square tube for the rack, and it slides into 1.5" pieces that are welded to the trailer.

WyoOtto

The width of the rack is 52" by 73" long I used 1.25" square tube for the rack, and it slides into 1.5" pieces that are welded to the trailer.

Awesome looking setup - that's a lot like what I'm going for with my M416 build! Thanks a bunch for the tube dimensions- all 1/8inch I presume?

Martyinco

Adventurer
We need an update!

Update... Took the trailer hunting last weekend, last trip for the season most likely.
trailer.jpg

I got some Pelican 1660 cases for a steal, 3 of them will easily house all the small pack-able camping accessories I can imagine, and I have a 4th spare should I want to throw it into the truck for extra storage.

Winter upgrades will begin in the next few weeks.
  • Linear actuators (Never will I have to lift it into position again!)
  • Tailgate (Going with a barn door style, left swing out will have my dual burner cooktop, right side cooking accessories)
  • Fenders (dual purpose, the left side will have my propane tank on it as well as a prep surface on top of the wheel for cooking)
  • Front box maybe (Battery box, solar control, water pump, electrical)
  • Water tank (24 gallon custom tank underneath)
  • Solar (Renogy solar kit 100w)

Last edited:
Flexiride Half Axles

Great build you did. I am collecting all my info before I start my build next month. I am building a Off Road Tear Drop. How do those axles handle the dirt roads?
Would you recommend them or go with the Timbren axxles?

Thanks

azscotts

Observer
Since you've had your build out on the road, can I get an honest review of the Flexiride half-axles?

My teardrop will be using those and I already have the mounting plates welded to the frame, so I'd like to hear some honest good/bad/indifferent review.

Thanks,

-Scott

Martyinco

Adventurer
Great build you did. I am collecting all my info before I start my build next month. I am building a Off Road Tear Drop. How do those axles handle the dirt roads?
Would you recommend them or go with the Timbren axxles?

Thanks

Thanks! Its been a fun project :)

I have no experience with the Timbren axles so I cannot speak to a comparison between the two. I will say that the Flexride axles have been great for me on and off-road.

Since you've had your build out on the road, can I get an honest review of the Flexiride half-axles?

My teardrop will be using those and I already have the mounting plates welded to the frame, so I'd like to hear some honest good/bad/indifferent review.

Thanks,

-Scott

Great on road, great off-road, if I had to nit pick and find something I did not like is that they like to have weight on them. I took the trailer out bare, frame and sides only, and the trailer was quite bouncy. But... Once I had my RTT on it, boxes, food, water, so on so forth they have been flawless. If I had a suggestion I would say figure out your weight tear drop and base the axles off of your total weight.

azscotts

Observer
Thanks! Its been a fun project :)

Great on road, great off-road, if I had to nit pick and find something I did not like is that they like to have weight on them. I took the trailer out bare, frame and sides only, and the trailer was quite bouncy. But... Once I had my RTT on it, boxes, food, water, so on so forth they have been flawless. If I had a suggestion I would say figure out your weight tear drop and base the axles off of your total weight.

Thanks for the feedback. Based on my W/B calculations, I'm probably coming in just shy of 1,700# with it ready to roll. Thrown in the supplies, water, etc. and I'm closer to 2,000#. That is why I planned for the 3,500# FlexiRides.

colorado matt

Adventurer
do you think that you will ever put a lid on the box ? .... I know you said you can add brakes .... have you found that brakes are something that you might want? .... and what are the tube dimensions of the box itself ... frame 2x3 ..11 gauge... rack 1.25 ..14 gauge ... sleeves for rack 1.5 ... 11 gauge ..... would you or could you go smaller on any of that metal strictly to save weight? although 500 lbs is pretty sweet dry weight .... as I get closer we need to talk also as I would like to pick your brain more about local suppliers for materials .... and can you believe this weather ... breaking warm temp records that have stood for a hundred years ... sure does not feel like winter ... Matt

Martyinco

Adventurer
I'm interested on the linear actuators. Stalking as well
Give me about a month, and I will have a great update for you :sombrero:

do you think that you will ever put a lid on the box ? .... I know you said you can add brakes .... have you found that brakes are something that you might want? .... and what are the tube dimensions of the box itself ... frame 2x3 ..11 gauge... rack 1.25 ..14 gauge ... sleeves for rack 1.5 ... 11 gauge ..... would you or could you go smaller on any of that metal strictly to save weight? although 500 lbs is pretty sweet dry weight .... as I get closer we need to talk also as I would like to pick your brain more about local suppliers for materials .... and can you believe this weather ... breaking warm temp records that have stood for a hundred years ... sure does not feel like winter ... Matt
I know for a fact I will never put a lid on it, no need to, and I don't want to deal with the extra weight. Also I think a lid with my design would be cumbersome with the RTT the way it is. I haven't even looked into brakes yet, its far to light to even worry about it at the moment. I would not go any smaller as far as my tube size, I think it is a perfect medium between weight and strength. When I went hunting and was loaded down with food, supplies, water, literally everything I could think of for a trip, I could easily move the trailer around by myself. I will be adding some weight one I get the actuators done which will include a battery at some point, but honestly the weight isn't the slightest issue for me.
Soon as you're ready let me know and I will give you all the local suppliers I used, small list, and an easy one :jumping:
Weather has been NUTS, pushing mid to high 70's?!?! Gimme a break! You know this means we will probably get pounded like a prom date come mid to late March by snow! Happens every time we get a warm February, I just hope I am wrong :peepwall:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan