'16 Tacoma Build & Adventure Thread

Dalko43

Explorer
I have a 2013 Tacoma, V6, 6-Spd, I certainly am not getting 34. Is there that big a difference in gas mileage from '13 to '16 model years?

That's what I was wondering too

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

My fault for not clarifying, that was going from Flagstaff to Sedona, which is all down hill lol. I average 19 in the city going to work and between 16-18 on highway. I got it to 34mpg between 4th and 5th gear cruising through Sedona.

I'd be careful about using the vehicle computer as an indicator of mpg. More often than not, they are not very accurate. A much better way to calculate mpg is by doing some math: Total miles traveled one tank or fillup/ # of gallons bought.

I'm not doubting that the OP got good mileage going downhill, and I have no idea if 34mpg is even remotely possible for the Tacoma's V6, but the computer likely won't give you a good read on that.

dman93

Adventurer
The computer is very accurate over a full tank, relative to measured gallons and mileage, which have their own problems. In fact, with the Eco app on the main screen, you can reset the reading without affecting the tank mileage display, for example at the top of a hill, and then reset it again at the bottom. Doing that I've gotten 99mpg on freeway-speed. descents for a mile or so. My '16 TRD OR 4wd auto has gotten over 20mpg on every tank in the 6K miles I've driven it, including 2500 or so miles with an RTT on top of my shell.

Dalko43

Explorer
The computer is very accurate over a full tank, relative to measured gallons and mileage, which have their own problems. In fact, with the Eco app on the main screen, you can reset the reading without affecting the tank mileage display, for example at the top of a hill, and then reset it again at the bottom. Doing that I've gotten 99mpg on freeway-speed. descents for a mile or so. My '16 TRD OR 4wd auto has gotten over 20mpg on every tank in the 6K miles I've driven it, including 2500 or so miles with an RTT on top of my shell.

Measured gallons and mileage is actually a very good, albeit approximate, estimate of your mpg, barring any major discrepancies with tire size. If the Odometer is accurate, then the hand calculated mileage is your best indicator.

I'm not sure why you think the Tacoma's onboard computer is especially accurate. Have you tested it against other methods for measuring mpg?

mmrocek

Observer
I've heard there's some good camping on the rim so I'll start my research!

Um, yeah, you really should join us sometime!

Instagram: Phoenix Overland Group

I am working on the website (http://phoenixoverlandgroup.com/) right now (we pretty much just started this group as it started growing from 3 to 4 to more now) but here is the last year's Rim road trip when I still had my Grand Cherokee that I replaced with the 2016 white taco: http://whereismatus.com/rim-road-adventure/ I still have to post this year's rim road photos with all 3 tacos.

Anyways, stop copying me, dammit! J/K, nice truck!

Matus

Last edited:

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I'm limited on internet using my mobile hot spot from my phone but I'm currently in San Diego, CA with the Tacoma, looking into some local trails to explore and hoping to head up to Pismo this weekend. Came out for the 4th but brought my Maxtrax, compressor and Snowpeak stuff to cook with if I got the itch to explore, kinda going with the flow so not sure where I'll end up.

Phoenix to SD was the first long drive I've done in the new tacoma and I'm happy with it, had some issues with the head unit turning off every 45 minutes or so and resetting itself 2 or 3 times before continuing to play music. Going to get on Tacoma world and see if someone else has posted the same problem, hopefully its an easy fix. My first guess is to just disconnect the battery and reset the computer. Other than that I was getting roughly 16.8- 18mpg on the way here doing 75mph and 85 when passing, Hankooks were smooth and quiet, no strange noise from the tent or rigid pods on the front.

I've seen a ton of properly outfitted Tacoma's an Fj's in SoCal so far, you guys know how to do it!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Um, yeah, you really should join us sometime!

Instagram: Phoenix Overland Group

I am working on the website (http://phoenixoverlandgroup.com/) right now (we pretty much just started this group as it started growing from 3 to 4 to more now) but here is the last year's Rim road trip when I still had my Grand Cherokee that I replaced with the 2016 white taco: http://whereismatus.com/rim-road-adventure/ I still have to post this year's rim road photos with all 3 tacos.

Anyways, stop copying me, dammit! J/K, nice truck!

Matus

Just gave your page a follow on Instagram! Doppelgänger :sombrero:

Catfish37

Observer
great looking truck. I have about 6k on my 16trd or auto. I can assure the mpg' the truck calculates is accurate. I have checked mine several times with a calculator and it is spot on. I average about 19 mpg' s on my daily commute with the best so far being 20.5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger