Project: Expedition Allroad

ExDementia

Adventurer
Hmm, can't find the weight of the Fuels, but the Methods are 22lbs from what I can tell. Certainly lighter than what are on there now. The issue is finding wheels in either a 5x112 or 5x114.3 bolt pattern AND in 16" size. Any rally style wheel I've found in that size is ridiculously expensive.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

thisoneguy

Audi Expositioner
Gotcha, what skid plate did you go with? The Evolution Import one?

That's the one, I got the one for the 2.7 and just made new holes for the 4.2.

And on the wheels... I was in the same spot you are..... Looked at the same wheels... At the end of it, I went with a set of spare rims (that I wish I had gotten powdercoated black prior to mounting the tires), money was the main motivator, I was willing to spend the money for the right wheel, but I never found it, I even called some custom steel wheel manufacturers and they said they couldn't do the requested offset, apparently custom manufacturer means welding a dish into a prefabed wheel.

Last edited:

EV99

A few random pics:

Also tightened up the loose light mounts, they were turning all over the place, haha

Love everything you've done with this Allroad, I too have eyed that Volvo concept and dreamt of doing this to an Allroad.

One question have you considered to do an LED bar instead of the Hella lights?

ExDementia

Adventurer
You can get SUBARU STI wheels. Iirc, they are 5x114.3 +32 offset.

Interesting, thanks for bringing that up! I could look into that, actually. The issue there would be that I would still need a small spacer, and that is a no-no with wobble bolts.

Love everything you've done with this Allroad, I too have eyed that Volvo concept and dreamt of doing this to an Allroad.

One question have you considered to do an LED bar instead of the Hella lights?
Thanks man!

I thought about it, but I went with the Hellas just to stay "in period" for this car. I like that old school look, but I think I'll probably end up with a light bar across the roof rack once I get one.

ExDementia

Adventurer
Ordered a ton of replacement interior bits and pieces off of eBay to replace the old, scratched up soft touch material on the switch gear. New window switch, panel for the headlight switch, HVAC unit, door mirror switch, a new lid for the broken center console, a new center vent (previous owner had a phone mount or something glued to it), and a few random pieces of trim. Already got most of it, so I'll be throwing that stuff on this weekend, along with the new drivers seat finally.

Also, I found a little patch of mud and couldn't help myself...

CBoqkMs.jpg

I think I've made a decision on the wheels as well, I'm just going to not be a cheap *** and just do it right and buy the Methods. What do you guys think, all black or machined face? I'm leaning towards the machined face myself...

method_mr305_nv_wheels_machined_face_matte_black_lip_sample.jpg
method_mr305_nv_wheels_matte_black_sample.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
Ordered a ton of replacement interior bits and pieces off of eBay to replace the old, scratched up soft touch material on the switch gear. New window switch, panel for the headlight switch, HVAC unit, door mirror switch, a new lid for the broken center console, a new center vent (previous owner had a phone mount or something glued to it), and a few random pieces of trim. Already got most of it, so I'll be throwing that stuff on this weekend, along with the new drivers seat finally.

Also, I found a little patch of mud and couldn't help myself...

CBoqkMs.jpg

I think I've made a decision on the wheels as well, I'm just going to not be a cheap *** and just do it right and buy the Methods. What do you guys think, all black or machined face? I'm leaning towards the machined face myself...

method_mr305_nv_wheels_machined_face_matte_black_lip_sample.jpg
method_mr305_nv_wheels_matte_black_sample.jpg

I like them both but the machined looks good. I wish they'd do a gunmetal

ExDementia

Adventurer
It's been slow going for the build for the past few weeks. Replaced some misc interior panels and switches, still have plenty more in boxes to install. Unfortunately I'm still not going to have much time to install anything as there is still just way too much **** going in in the next few weeks. Frustrating, but it happens.

One thing I did do this weekend is get a software tune and get the SAI delete finalized in the software to get rid of this check engine light so I can smog it finally! So I'll be doing that this week.

The Allroad definitely pulls stronger, but it wasn't as huge a difference as I had thought it would be -- probably due in no small part to the big tires messing with the final drive ratio and all that rotational mass they've added. Either way, the stage 1 tune was more of a bonus, because I really just needed it to clear the check engine light. This really isn't a "drive fast" sort of car, that's what I have my Z for.

That's all I've got for now.

sPhtiXE.jpg

ExDementia

Adventurer
A lot of family stuff going on right now, so I haven't been able to really do much lately. Mostly just driving it, and I'm trying to find a cheap set of 4 matching stock sized tires to throw on the stock wheels to run just when I'm driving around town. The more I drive it, the more I'm feeling the power bump from the tune. This thing pulls pretty hard now, and definitely gets off the line quicker than my NA 300ZX.

One thing I did do though, is finally put in the replacement seat I bought.

Out with the old:

uNswNs9h.jpg

I think this is how Shaq drives his cars:

PHr83aIh.jpg

And somehow I forgot to take a picture of the new, non-ripped one. Just picture that seat, but nicer and no rips. /shrug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior