"Q" Flight's RB E250 Quigley Build

flightcancled

Explorer
I've been having a hell of a time finding SuperDuty trucks in the yards. I think they get parted down straight away. Usually can't even find the newer body-style trucks out there.

My ebay special towing mirrors are 100% fine. Just pop the cover off the mounting plate and spray around inside with Liquid Film or another rust inhibitor before install. Mine are starting to rust on the posts from the mirror base out. Not really a big deal since those will hit the trash when I go to signal mirrors. Also I have a spare set in storage from when I did the conversion on my ambulance.

flightcancled

Explorer
Had to make a custom bracket set to finally mount my 50" bar where it is supposed to be. Whistles a bit, but I just turn up the Kenwoods. (You can also get a peak there of the dash switch pod)

8d399c1d03705c8d4d6ab2be4b16059c.jpg

Also had to put new shoes on her yesterday. Maxed it out without trimming with 285-75-16s

c366d120e73351671e2b1f4efecf4b4c.jpg

I really need to go get some better pics!

Hoping to start with some of the body work shortly!

Last edited:

flightcancled

Explorer
She sounds like a fine lady.

Within hours I was in the parking lot blacking out the white letters with one of those huge sign-making sharpies. So much better.

Last weekend was spent trying to access new remote whitewater. We were stopped at a gate.

4256f4e0211dec398720a2bb8f648846.jpg

Winter locked in for good this weekend so I drove about 100 miles of Adirondack logging roads/snowmobile trails in the snow. The new tires were awesome in the snow, I only really needed 4x4 on the sheet ice

f5afb0380337fbb94ea14dffe4fcdeb7.jpg

722fb937d5d10892e21a9112774d82c1.jpg

e76d030e37e1ba233cae18d56a16c1ee.jpg

3f3ff73c56c8d129c888f1624cc6c6f9.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I like the snot out your rig dude. If I'm not careful I may end up in one of these in place of the Ambo. Wicked cool they are, but not amazingly practical back east.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I like the snot out your rig dude. If I'm not careful I may end up in one of these in place of the Ambo. Wicked cool they are, but not amazingly practical back east.

Tom, Alex is in NY, so you don't get much more 'East' than that!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Tom, Alex is in NY, so you don't get much more 'East' than that!

I meant the big Ambos not so practical. Type II not so bad, but more and more I'm digging just the standard van conversion like the Orange Blossom Special up above. Way less bulky and a bit more offroad-able. And my first real truck was a Ford with that color scheme, back when I was still in the Marine Corp. Miss that bugger.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I meant the big Ambos not so practical. Type II not so bad, but more and more I'm digging just the standard van conversion like the Orange Blossom Special up above. Way less bulky and a bit more offroad-able. And my first real truck was a Ford with that color scheme, back when I was still in the Marine Corp. Miss that bugger.

Well, your back will probably thank you for not having to lift all those monster size parts anymore! :)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Well, your back will probably thank you for not having to lift all those monster size parts anymore! :)

The only thing that was REALLY bad were those tire/wheel combos. Sweet baby jesus those things were heavy. I was moving around stuff today for my CJ-7, which rolls on 37/12.5s just like the Ambo, but those things were feather light compared. I loaded one in my Stuper Duty and it was gravy compared to those on the Ambo. I had to roll them up a ramp and dang near blew a head gasket doing that!

flightcancled

Explorer
Tom- It's my daily driver here. Much less of a PITA than the ambo, but I still have to be concious of my surroundings and whatnot more than in a comparable sized truck. I will say that when I drive my work truck around I realize that people aren't staring at me. Getting lots of attention has become the new normal.

Long trips or having more than/even another person things get messy fast. I'm usually rocking an impressive gear pile/explosion. It is better since the door storage, but I am dying for a rear bumper gear box and cutting the floor out above the rear tire to make an extra storage box below the floor. The Ambo storage is missed here. That's so easy to keep things under control and take everything with multiple people.

I'd like to see someone do a quigley swap onto an already built camper off Craigslist. Supposedly it is a simple unbolt-bolt on type deal if you're within a few years. All the annoying parts of a U-Joint or other solid axel install are covered. Looks like you just swap the suspensions, transfer case/ tailshaft, fuel tanks, bleed the brakes and go.

There was a 2wd pop-up SMB that was begging for it here. Hope it went to a good owner.

From China with love. Hoping this little $500 unit holds up. If I get a few years out of it I will gladly drop another new one in. An Espar may or may not last that long for $1300. Still going around and around about dropping the tank or tapping a fuel line...
ac21f8542d598db84f39699d1a78f9fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior