"Q" Flight's RB E250 Quigley Build

flightcancled

Explorer
The heater went in while the turkey was being cooked Thanksgiving morning. This is my second rodeo, so with some help I was done in about 4.5 hours including pulling apart the interior and running the controller to my switch bank. The next 3 nights in the van were super comfy!

My fuel tap solution was to look up the inner diameter of the fuel fill hose (1.5") and then grab a 4" piece of exhaust tube from an auto parts store. Drilled and installed the fuel pick-up unit into that and then bent the pipe into shape to reach down into the tank. The trick is to drill and insert the stand tube into the exhaust pipe. Put on the brass top cap and tighten the bolt all the way down. carefully hammer down the flat metal washer until it is formed to the curves of the pipe. Take the nut and washer off, put the black gasket on, and fully assemble. Check that the fit is tight by filling the exhaust tube with water. Remove all metal shavings and debris then allow to dry completely. Cut out about 1" of the filler hose from under the van, snake the feed into the tank, slip the filler hose on both sides and tighten with hose clamps. Works like a charm and I didn't have to tap the high-pressure fuel lines or drop the tank.

The unit is installed under my driver seat. Fits perfectly, and the access to install everything wasn't completely miserable. Just be sure to drill in about 1" to the left of the inside of the center side of the seat base to avoid a rib on the underside of the van.

This 2k unit is almost silent from standing outside. Definitely could be used in a stealth application. Inside the unit isn't the quietest, but with if you're insulated well you'll only really be running this unit for 10 min before and after going to bed most of the time. It was in the 20s at night and I was just fine without running it for very long.

Why a 2k instead of a 5k? I wanted to be blasting this thing when I do run it to prevent building up soot inside. Coking up is what causes most of the failures these units see. According to the supplier for Sportsmobile the gas units have less issues running at low power (like on the thermostat setting) than the diesel. Sounds like if you're going the remote fuel tank route anyway then just run kerosene for the best results and longevity. Definitely plan on finishing the season by running the unit on kerosene for a while to clean it out and leave it in good shape for the next season. Also consider taping over the intake and exhaust to prevent sand and dust getting up there all summer.

Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
Thank you for the write up on installing the heater.....I am tempted to grab on of these and install it but likely with a stand alone tank instead.

Did you get this off Ebay?

flightcancled

Explorer
Yup. Grabbed one that looked exactly like the Webasto. There are some extremely cheap units on there now (<$300). No telling if any are better or worse, but I picked one with a good controller that also looks like it came out of the Webasto factory. If the controller is junk then the unit won't function well regardless of the build quality.

Take a good look at the top of your fuel tank. All ambos with the original sending unit (even from the start of this gen in 1992) should have an aux fuel pickup tube. Looking at it there will be a wire bundle in looming and 2 fuel lines in the center of the tank. With them should be a black plastic cap on a brass pipe. Pull the cap off and go right into there with the black fuel line connector. NEVER try to twist any of these stand tubes for any reason. Controlled bends are okay if done carefully, but a twist will make it shear and snap almost instantly.

Don't forget that in the ambo you have a stock heater system which runs off the coolant lines and a big battery system for the house. Perfect application to run one of the hydroic heater systems. You can use your existing systems without much alteration and your engine will be all warmed up and ready to fire! About 70% of the install in my ambo was just related to pulling wires through cabinets and ambo-specific nonsense that would have been avoided with a hydro unit. Option B would be to rip out the stupid exhaust fan that comes in ambos and put this up there instead. I've opened up 4 ambos from 4 makers now and it would have fit every time.

Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
I would imagine a poor controller would really put a damper on how well the unit could work.

I replaced my tank last summer and dont remember seeing any extra pickup on the tank. I looked very briefly for it but dont believe it was there and thought that was a little odd as I remember reading that ambulances had it. Maybe I missed it but I dont remember seeing the pipe inside either. Doesn't it pull from higher so that you cant drain the tank?

Still haven't decided if I want to submit the Ambo to salt again.....We haven't used it in about 3 winters due to not wanting it to rust. But heck, life goes on and it would be fun to use it.

flightcancled

Explorer
FuelPickup.jpg

There's a peak at what should be in there. I need to tighten up my hose clamps to stop a small leak while filling so I will grab some shots. I was only pretty sure I knew what I was doing while doing the install and didn't tighten things down far enough apparently.

Exactly. The whole unit is flying by wire. Basically the power consumption, heat, temp controls, fault detection, start/stop sequences, and everything else are completely dictated by the controller.

Just do it man. Why have one of these in the northeast otherwise?

gtbensley

Explorer
I will have to crawl back under and check to see if I have it. May still run an external tank because I have the room and could do a different fuel type.

Yup agreed, I am coming back to that point of just using it and accepting it will rust some.

flightcancled

Explorer
There's a quick pic of the fuel tap solution I came up with. Tightened it up last night and filled it to the top. Zero leaks.

When you install one of these be sure that the pick up tube is at least 1" from the bottom of the tank. I nipped off 4" of tube to get the bend right.

Tried to grab a pic of the heater, but there really isn't anything to see. Should have grabbed pics when I had everything apart. My bad! Suffice to say under the seat works. Just be at least one inch to the side of the vehicle from the center side of the seat. No interior duct needed. It blows the heat all the way to the bed.
ddd2e370b57d4f4503c9a3fdf90b3dd3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

flightcancled

Explorer
Yup! Standard installation style. Mounted the ambo one sideways and brought the fuel pump inside to keep all connections safe from the salt. Wasn't as worried this time around with the insane amount of clearance I have on this rig. Any exhaust fumes will get swept away instantly unless I am parked in 2.5-3 feet of snow.

Ty_Deschaine

Tom- It's my daily driver here. Much less of a PITA than the ambo, but I still have to be concious of my surroundings and whatnot more than in a comparable sized truck. I will say that when I drive my work truck around I realize that people aren't staring at me. Getting lots of attention has become the new normal.

Long trips or having more than/even another person things get messy fast. I'm usually rocking an impressive gear pile/explosion. It is better since the door storage, but I am dying for a rear bumper gear box and cutting the floor out above the rear tire to make an extra storage box below the floor. The Ambo storage is missed here. That's so easy to keep things under control and take everything with multiple people.

I'd like to see someone do a quigley swap onto an already built camper off Craigslist. Supposedly it is a simple unbolt-bolt on type deal if you're within a few years. All the annoying parts of a U-Joint or other solid axel install are covered. Looks like you just swap the suspensions, transfer case/ tailshaft, fuel tanks, bleed the brakes and go.

There was a 2wd pop-up SMB that was begging for it here. Hope it went to a good owner.

From China with love. Hoping this little $500 unit holds up. If I get a few years out of it I will gladly drop another new one in. An Espar may or may not last that long for $1300. Still going around and around about dropping the tank or tapping a fuel line...
ac21f8542d598db84f39699d1a78f9fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very interested in how this unit holds up. I've been mulling over diesel heaters for awhile now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cjken

Explorer
Looking awesome Alex.

I daily drove my original gas Quigley. And for awhile more or less daily drove my ambulance.
The rwb van was definitely a bit more agile.
Your ambulance was huge compared to mine so I can guess it was more of a commitment to drive.

My black ambulance is currently in two pieces.
Getting the box turned into a trailer.
Hope you are doing well!!

flightcancled

Explorer
Ty - I am in the van every weekend, so unless I post something assume it has been working flawlessly twice a week since Thanksgiving 2017. Diesels seem to want a little more love. See my post about kerosene

Ken - Dude! You just love taking the boxes off these things huh? I am constantly glad I didn't go with an extended van. I still have never seen an ambo as big as mine on an E series chasis. That thing is a true monster.

Have you taken them all out on the sand? I'm loving this thing on the slick Adirondack granite up here. (Think Cali- style) I can just crawl it around effortlessly.

The extra tail would be an added daily annoyance. I can't even imagine going with an extended base extended length Chevy for daily use. To that end a diesel on the daily would be a bit exhausting as well. This choice was spot on, but I am thinking about a tuner to spice up the 5.4 so it will roll the 33s a bit better, and be able to see more of what the engine is doing in real time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior