SOLD - 2003 GMC 4wd Duramax / Allison / Locker / 114k / New pix

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
So...I just posted another thread in the Latin America section about this, but my full time traveling wife and I are trying to decide whether to drive or fly to MX for the winter this year. Maybe someone here on the forum can help us decide - by buying our new truck out from under us so we end up flying :sombrero:

We recently sold our F550 / Bigfoot that we'd been traveling in for the last year, and shortly after found ourselves on the West coast and wanting to move two trailers that we had in storage in MA all the way out West to store them in the desert. So I spent a few weeks searching for another capable rig that could handle work and play with equal aplomb.

Finally found this gorgeous one-owner truck in CO, went through thorough inspections at a diesel shop, and bought it from the original owner who 'wanted a new truck with a crew cab to tote his grandkids around with.'

Took the truck an hour away to Boulder where family lives, found another good local shop, rotated the tires, got an alignment, serviced the diffs and transfer case, installed 4 brand new Bilstein 5100's and new steering stabilizer, new fuel filter, two brand new interstate starter batteries, filled 'er up and headed to MA.

I've put over 12k on it in the last 6 weeks and am back with the 2nd trailer from MA. Running like a top and getting mileage I wouldn't believe if I didn't own it - got 25.5 on the first trip East, 27.5 on the second (essentially empty truck on highway at 70-75). 16-18mpg on both trips back West pulling the two trailers. :Wow1: Much lighter than our 550, the 3.73's don't hurt I'm sure, nor the aerodynamic topper - but wow.

Here's the particulars - it's a 100% stock and unmolested old guy's truck, except for an upgraded fuel filter setup

2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4 SLE, White, Regular cab long bed, 114,xxx miles
Pre-emissions Duramax motor
Allison 1000 5 speed with factory trans cooler and tow mode
Axle ratio 3.73
G80 Eaton rear locker
Stock HD 2 inch factory lift
Skid plates
Fog lights
Camper pre wiring
Dual zone heat and AC
105 amp alternator
Factory fuel cooler
Prodigy brake controller
Upgraded 3 micron fuel filtration
Alloys
Set of chains and cold weather radiator cover
Bedliner
Full width Al diamondplate tool tray accessible from side windows, leaves full length bed underneath

Nice custom color matched topper with 3 tinted locking flip up windows (sides / rear)

No rust, about as clean as you could expect a 13 year old non-show truck to be.

Flaws - couple of cigarette burns on the driver's seat, some small gravel chips here and there, and a couple spots of peeled white on the front bumper. Other than the cig burns which are pretty minor, gray cloth interior is MINT and no odors. One side of the dual zone climate control (little red/blue temp bar graphs) does not light up at night - bulb or led failure? Tires have wear but good miles left on them.

Everything works basically like new. Pop an electric locker in the front end, some tires to your taste, and kit it out for your flavor of work/play.

I'm very impressed with this package and would love to keep it but after winter in MX we will be headed to Europe for the rest of 2017 and I don't want to store it for a year - so if we end up taking it to MX you'll probably see another listing in the spring! And we're traveling full time so if I take a day or two to respond to PM's or questions here it's 'cause I haven't had interwebs access in the meantime.

Also negotiable - 50 qt ARB fridge, solar panels, 1000w Xantrex pure sine inverter. Delivery possible, *EDIT* just finished our cross country trips and now daily driving in Boulder, CO area

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
It makes me smile when I fill 'er up all the way and see this :)

DSC_6988.jpg

Still dragging on the better photos, we're now in Boulder CO and it's all slushy and gross so the truck needs a washin' again!

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Took the Sierra to the wash and then for a pleasure cruise for more and betterer pix - let's see how well linking pictures works here...

i-NmQXqXt-X2.jpg

i-HBrPkcW-X2.jpg

i-Rf2djgN-X2.jpg

i-f36PqDJ-X2.jpg

i-CZCcQqM-X2.jpg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
That seems to work well, hope they're not too big, I'm on a 15" laptop and they take up about ¾ of the screen - some more

i-FtcDVCX-X2.jpg

i-bGS3mcv-X2.jpg

i-fFX6bPw-X2.jpg

i-CkLDf8q-X2.jpg

i-JDc6Xpx-X2.jpg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
114,1xx miles as of today in Boulder, CO

I understand most folks seem to want crew cab and short bed these days - this truck is looking for the ones that want maximum bed in a nice shorter wheelbase - would be a heck of a mule for a spacious full size popup camper!

It does have cruise, and it's not chipped or modded at all, but I don't think it needs it - truck flies as is :)

Just realized I don't have bed pix, will get some more shortly

To see the full set take a look here -

http://www.classglassphotography.com/Wheels/Littlefoot/n-Cdg8LH

Last edited:

Dumpolina

Adventurer
I drove this truck in Albuquerque- its top notch, solid and straight.
I'm still trying to rationalize the single cab... its the only thing that keeps me from buying it.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Pushbutton shift on the fly 4wd is really nice, all my 4wd vehicles have been manual hubs before. Drove around a bunch today and Boulder area is a mix of dry/wet pavement on the main roads then glazed ice and snow on the smaller roads, nice to just shift back and forth as needed and tool around in comfort!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior