Voyager is Completed (Build Thread)

azscotts

Observer
My doors came in from Teardroptrailerparts.com and I'm glad I picked the black doors. They'll look pretty tough once they're installed.
door_unpack.jpg

So I couldn't resist. I had to do a dry fit and see how they'll look.

door_dry_fit.jpg

While I was out in the shop, I decided to snap a few pictures.

Here's the power station in the back with the fuse panel and my MPPT solar charge controller.

power_center.jpg

Here's the interior showing the Fantastic Fan, my dome light, and the under-cabinet lights.

fan_dome_cabinet.jpg

Here's a shot showing just the under-cabinet lights. You can see the contrast between the side walls and the rear wall. I opted for an antique blue on the rear wall and grey on everything else.

under_cabinet_light.jpg

azscotts

Observer
It was a huge day for me today! I installed my entry doors on Voyager and got the opportunity to take it for a test drive. Spent about an hour on the road testing everything I could think of when it comes to pulling a trailer I put together.
finished.jpeg

Here's what was on my test card today:

- Initial towing within city streets up to speeds of 45 MPH.
- Tracking during tow.
- Testing brakes on trailer.
- Setting the sensitivity on the brake controller and testing the manual gain.
- Static Stability Tests - this is the ability of the tow vehicle and the trailer to return to straight driving after a quick turn to left or right at speed. See for an example.
- Freeway Tests. Took the trailer up to 70 MPH and tested lane changes, transmission temps, etc. on the highway.
- Vehicle monitoring. I have a good bit of tech on the truck so I can monitor oil temps, transmission temps, etc. Transmission never broke 190 degrees while towing in the city. On the highway it was 180 with an OAT of 80 degrees.

I know. Before anyone says anything, I'm sure this sounds overboard. Maybe even nerdy. But, I've built airplanes and I know the testing that goes into homebuilt planes. I wanted to apply the same methodology to testing my trailer. It would suck to be on my shakedown cruise and find out the trailer sways or pulls to one side. Or worse, to have control problems.

Tomorrow, I am re-checking all the torque settings on the axle and wheel components, just to be sure. Hopefully, I can get the solar panels installed too!

I'm hoping to have my rig registered next week. If all goes well, I will have plates and be able to go for a long drive and check the trucks performance uphill, etc. I also want to test adjusting brake bias/gain for downhill runs. Then I'll get it all weighed and see where it comes in at.

azscotts

Observer
I installed the solar panels on Sunday. Spent about 4 hours doing it. For anyone who's got a flat-top like me or who's just curious, these were my steps:

- Did a dry layup of where I thought the panels should go. Pay special attention to where your wires are and where they'll enter your rig.
- Marked the approximate locations of where they'll be using electrical tape.
- Pulled the panels down and installed the mounting brackets. I fit these so they hit studs all the way into the roof.
- Put the panels on the roof. This time I marked where the mounting brackets sit on the roof.
- I centered my panels at the back of my rig so that my cables came down back at the galley. This way if there is leakage, its not into the main cabin.
- Drilled the holes for the cables to come down into the roof.
- Drilled pilot holes for the mounts.
- Installed the first panel using an acrylic/silicone sealant between the bracket and the roof. After I installed them, I used the same stuff to cover the brackets and screws.
- Ran the cables over to the second panel, plugged it all in, and ran the cables down into the galley.
- Here's where it gets tricky. I sealed the cables coming into the trailer and then sealed the mounts for the second panel and repeated the same process as the first.

azscotts

Observer
It's a real, live, registered teardrop! We took Voyager to the MVD here in Mesa, AZ and got our Level 1 inspection. The process was pretty simple. The nice lady came out measured the width and length of the trailer, made sure it had tail/stop lights, asked a few questions, and signed off on the inspection. Then we took that paperwork inside and the second MVD employee did her thing, issued a VIN and gave us our plate. I took it home and now it's official!

I happened to have my receipts with me so it was simple.

I'd say, without the wait for the inspector, the whole process took less than an hour. We had to wait for the inspector because they had two trailers ahead of us getting inspected.

azscotts

Observer
So I took Voyager to the scales to see where she came in on weight. I was a little shocked...2,050lbs empty. Add another 150 for the batteries and the tables and you've got a FAT trailer. This is about 400-450lbs over what I was expecting. Wasn't expecting to be much over 2,000lbs loaded. Good thing I got the 3,500lb axles. Just didn't want to be hauling that much weight cross-country.

She pulls just fine at highway speeds and the 10" brakes on the FlexiRide suspension work great. The transmission temp was hovering around 165 degrees with an outside air temp of 85 pulling at 72MPH.

Last edited:

TheThom

Adventurer
S I was a little shocked...2,050lbs empty. Add another 150 for the batteries and the tables and you've got a FAT trailer. This is about 400-450lbs over what I was expecting. Wasn't expecting to be much over 2,000lbs loaded. Good thing I got the 3,500lb axles. Just didn't want to be hauling that much weight cross-country.

I had the same thing happen. That's the cost of over-building *shrug*

Trailer looks fantastic!

honda250xtitan

It's a real, live, registered teardrop! We took Voyager to the MVD here in Mesa, AZ and got our Level 1 inspection. The process was pretty simple. The nice lady came out measured the width and length of the trailer, made sure it had tail/stop lights, asked a few questions, and signed off on the inspection. Then we took that paperwork inside and the second MVD employee did her thing, issued a VIN and gave us our plate. I took it home and now it's official!

I happened to have my receipts with me so it was simple.

I'd say, without the wait for the inspector, the whole process took less than an hour. We had to wait for the inspector because they had two trailers ahead of us getting inspected.
What'd you register it as? get permanent tags?

honda250xtitan

No perm. They registered it as a TV (travel trailer) so we didn't get perm plates. It's all good, I guess the sleeping quarters was a giveaway that it wasn't a "utility trailer".

Yea kinda hard to call it a "utility" trailer at that point lol. I pulled mine around phoenix on Sunday. Make sure i bust any of my tack welds now and not on the way to the Rim. lol.

KTM-Todd

Great job on getting it done.

Did they ask to see the recipes? Or ask a value? What did the plates cost a year?

I am hoping to get mine registered next month. I’m sure mine will be a lot heavier than I thought.

Todd

honda250xtitan

Great job on getting it done.

Did they ask to see the recipes? Or ask a value? What did the plates cost a year?

I am hoping to get mine registered next month. I’m sure mine will be a lot heavier than I thought.

Todd
If you say it cost 999$ they won't ask for receipts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior